Nov 26 2012
By: FacultyOfReason First Son 21 posts

Stupid enemy AI

14 replies 385 views Edited Nov 26, 2012

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but it seems to me that this is the explanation for me always hearing the goons being blown up by grenades...

Using grenades is a two step process:

Step 1:

Pull the pin on the grenade

Step 2:

Throw the grenade at the enemy.

I get the impression that the goons forgot step 2!

Am I right? Coz I kept hearing explosions and THEM dying!

Related matter...it was only around the time of the teleporting fire demons that I thought I had better try and get to grips with the returning grenades system of the game.

I'd try it out and Nate would return the grenade...a few feet away from him...so he'd cop pretty much the full force of the grenade.

Was I doing it wrong?

Since grenades were a constant threat against you (I mean when they weren't a bigger threat to the people using them against you!) I think the return grenade feature should really work much better...all the time.

I.e. when you return a grenade...you pretty much return the grenade back to sender and send them to oblivion!

Would also appreciate better use of your comrades...e.g. a  Mass Effect 2 style sytem...but without Sully or Elena or whoever dying if you mess up...more a case of the game resetting if they die and you have to do it again.

I'd just like to be able to place Sully and Elena et. al. in strategically advantageous areas to prevent you being flanked or you returning the favour for them. This whole 'one man army' is a bit insane...unrealistic.

Message 1 of 15 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
381 posts

LOL Uncharted 1 & 2 are much worse in the AI department

Nov 27, 2012

LOL
Uncharted 1 & 2 are much worse in the AI department

It's your friendly neighborhood maniac: ZANIACK
Message 2 of 15 (363 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Re: LOL Uncharted 1 & 2 are much worse in the AI department

Nov 29, 2012

ZANIACK wrote:

LOL
Uncharted 1 & 2 are much worse in the AI department

For example?

I was actually thinking it could be a strategy in U3 to just let the goons kill themselves using their own grenades! Easy platinum, right?

Just finished playing Crysis 2 on PS3 and man, that has some REALLY stupid enemy AI too!

It would be funny if you combined the worst aspects of both games' enemy AI and released that as a game...be a dud game though...you load the game for the first time...one second later the screen says "You win!". Getting trophies would be hard too...seeing as the enemies are ineligible for them!

Message 3 of 15 (347 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Nov 29, 2012

In Uncharted 3 I constantly have to be on the movie, the enemies flank you and try to get you out with grenades.

In Uncharted 2, I really just have to sit behind a piece of cover and kill everyone with ease.

Uncharted 1 is more like 3 but I feel 3 is still better.

Message 4 of 15 (341 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Nov 30, 2012

Aldro wrote:

In Uncharted 3 I constantly have to be on the movie, the enemies flank you and try to get you out with grenades.

In Uncharted 2, I really just have to sit behind a piece of cover and kill everyone with ease.

Did other people also have the goons blowing themselves up with their own grenades, or was that pretty rare?

Can't say that I remember the gun play of the first two games...what I do remember is finding the aiming mechanism in the first hard to come to grips with, so I played it on Easy. When I played U2 on Normal, it seemed easier than Easy on U1!

Personally I think that the 1st and 3rd games were the best...but only for the 2nd half of the 3rd game...didn't like the gameplay in the first half of the 3rd game. But there were aspects of the first two games which annoyed me too...that's the main reason that I'm not a fanboy of the series...there's always something there to annoy me!

For U4 to be a really good game I think it would need the script and character development of U2 plus the gamelplay of the 2nd half of U3. 

Message 5 of 15 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
381 posts

Nov 30, 2012

FacultyOfReason wrote:

Aldro wrote:

Did other people also have the goons blowing themselves up with their own grenades, or was that pretty rare?

Can't say that I remember the gun play of the first two games...what I do remember is finding the aiming mechanism in the first hard to come to grips with, so I played it on Easy. When I played U2 on Normal, it seemed easier than Easy on U1!

Personally I think that the 1st and 3rd games were the best...but only for the 2nd half of the 3rd game...didn't like the gameplay in the first half of the 3rd game. But there were aspects of the first two games which annoyed me too...that's the main reason that I'm not a fanboy of the series...there's always something there to annoy me!

For U4 to be a really good game I think it would need the script and character development of U2 plus the gamelplay of the 2nd half of U3. 

It depends on what exactly the plot is for U4 if there even is one. U3's haracter development was more restricted to Nate and Sully because it was their story and their game.

It's your friendly neighborhood maniac: ZANIACK
Message 6 of 15 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Nov 30, 2012

ZANIACK wrote:

It depends on what exactly the plot is for U4 if there even is one. U3's haracter development was more restricted to Nate and Sully because it was their story and their game.

I was going to say that there wasn't much to Sully in the game, but I forgot about his early meetings with Nate in the game. Did the first two games make it clear that Sully and Nate met when Nate was just a young boy? It just seemed a bit 'cute' to me to have that backstory.

Some of the comments that evil English woman made about Nate were more interesting, as far as Nate's back story goes...something that you'd actually want more information on in new games.

Back to Sully...I was mostly thinking of the present day adventures with him in the game...he was pretty forgettable in that...as were Chloe and Elena...but Elena and Nate did have a couple of nice moments between them...but not so much repartee wise.

The script was lacking in that department, I though.

Message 7 of 15 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Nov 30, 2012
Could not disagree more regarding the script lacking in UC3.

It really hit me on an emotional note with how far Drake would go for Sully. Bromance at its finest.
Message 8 of 15 (325 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Dec 2, 2012

Aldro wrote:
Could not disagree more regarding the script lacking in UC3.

It really hit me on an emotional note with how far Drake would go for Sully. Bromance at its finest.

I probably thought that it was in character for Nate not to doubt Sully and to try and rescue him. So, that didn't really make much of an impression on me. I'm talking more about the in game dialogue as lacking. The 2nd game had some wit with the dialogue between Nate and Chloe and Elena and maybe even Sully. Having humour in the script helps, otherwise you're just another 'by the numbers' genre piece. How could would have Terminator 2 have been if Arnie didn't have all those amusing lines in the movie?

They should spend some money on good writers...people able to make the characters amusing, witty, cheeky or whatever.

That is what was the lacking from the last game.

I'd also try less to be cinematic. I was playing Crysis recently and that reminded me of the gameplay on Half Life on the PS2. You'd have gameplay but there were certain things that you could not prevent...e.g. you broke into a room only to see a character die. You could never alter that, even if you tried. That's cinematic...but it's not a cutscene.

To get back on topic...it would be funny if they implemented that in U4...you break into a room as a major character is killed...and that character is in a perpetual spin cycle due to a glitch...that would be intentionally unintentionally funny!

Message 9 of 15 (312 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Dec 2, 2012
I thought there were plenty witty moments regarding the dialouge really. The whole Chateu with Sully in the woods is full of them. So is meeting up with Cutter & Chloe in Syria, the whole pre-paid phone ^^. Oh and London, "You headbutted me!". I can really go on. I was a much more mature take on a story in my opinon but they nailed the humor. When Sully exits to go talk to that "rug merchant" the way Elena and Drake go at it just made me smile haha.

As for Sully -> Drake even questions him in UC1. He barely was around in UC2. So there has been some doubt in my opinion. But I never doubted him to that extent though. And I love how Sully at the end says "I've made a lot of mistakes kid, a lot".

Also love how they are make the player question the motives of Drake. "Remind me again why we're doing this?" Its like, I feel hit. I don't even know! We have everything to stop Marlowe so why are we continuing and leading them with us? The whole obsession arc was so well done and halfway into the game I was like, holy **bleep**, I am starting to get the picture here and that is way different from UC2 which was about the adventure and not so much personal really. The only thing in UC2 that I really enjoyed and got me thinking was a single line Lazarevic pulled out at the end saying "How many have you killed, just today?". But UC3 took it to a whole other level and broke that fourth wall in my eyes. Thats what seperates both games and makes UC3 my favourite really.
Message 10 of 15 (304 Views)
0 Likes