Sackboy
553 posts

Re: Strafing......

Aug 17, 2012

While there are definitely players that are skilled at strafing, there are far more that are just plain bad at it. A lot of people do it in a perfect pattern and, using a gmal, I just stand still, keep my aim in one spot and wait for them to strafe back to a point. I very rarely die when I do that. However, I've found that most people just end up wiggling back and forth within like a foot of space, so the middle part of the body and head is changing its location, you can still just aim at the body and you won't miss because their strafing distance isn't large enough.

Most people just end up wiggling back and forth in the same space and look retarded...and then they die

Please use plain text.
Message 171 of 178 (376 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4542 posts

Aug 17, 2012

I see that the Pros has 3 key words: "tactic," "aim" and "skill" while the Cons has 2 key words: "low levels" and "cover."

And from what I’ve been seeing lately from your decisions in the Multiplayer, it is more than sure that you're trying to totally get rid of the first category or at least make it weaker than the second one.

This Multiplayer is already casual friendly, because we've got:

M9 RoF

The nerf is not enough, it needs to die with fire, its own rate of fire if possible please. And let's not forget about blindfire with all kinds of weapons (the SAS and Kal-7 say hi too).

Revenge

Everyone and their mom drops a nade when they die and in many occasions you just can't throw it back, and the worse part is that you can't throw back your teammate's Revenge nades.

Melee & Roll

That Lag-n-Roll "tactic" (or mechanic) that you put in the game, what does it do? It makes you not need to aim at all during the entire match. You just switch to your pistol with Blindfire Accuracy mod and you're good to go. I thought this was a shooter game where we're supposed to aim, not punch (This isn't Mortal Kombat!). And with the horrendous lag even if you try to "cancel" melees you're dead anyway.

Power Plays

I have no idea why you put this thing in the MP. I guess because you wanted to help randoms win against stacked full parties? Well, guess what? It doesn't work anymore because parties have all adapted to each PP now. And how on earth is it fair (when playing as a random against randoms or small parties) that when you're in a close match and you're pulling your hair out to win and finally start seeing a slight kill score difference suddenly a wild Power Play appears and insists that you HAVE to lose the match and if you disober, a cruel Overtime and a traumatising Sudden Death appears to kill what's left of your sanity and hope in this game?!

So I'm sorry that I'm not sorry to know that low levels can't deal with strafers and can't hit **bleep** when facing them. This is one of the rare skill-demanding tactics which remains in this game. And rest assured that a competent player doesn't heavily rely on FF to defend themselves. However, I think from a fairness and balance perspective, strafing (with or without FF) is a totally legit tactic for skilled players who want to survive in your MP and keep playing it for a bit longer.

The wrong message you're sending casual by making things too easy for them is that your game doesn't need to be learned because there is no real skill to learn. I say make it difficult so they learn from the better players and become better themselves.

I admit that when I first started playing U2 I hated strafers with their FF and used to find it cheap and I used to find their "dance" ridiculous, but guess what? I cried a bit in a corner, wiped my tears, grabbed my gun and learned how to do that death dance as well and today I can say that I'm pretty good at it.

The things you put in U3 has segregated the PM into set and rigid skill ladders that are not interactive at all. What I mean is that the skilled stay skilled (and maybe get a bit worn out since they don't really have to try getting better as they can rely on the casual "tactics" too for some easy kills) and the less skilled stay where they are too since they don't have to improve thanks to your casual-friendly MP.

I'm not saying make the MP pro-friendly (or "tryhard," if you're familiar with that term, friendly as some would say), just raise the skill bar to a decent level so the skilled and casuals can interact and learn.

Also, the Mercenaries Lab was an AWESOME experience! This makes me that it is indeed very possible to make that Lab a permanent playlist which, while being fun for so many of us, it'd also appease your concerns with casuals facing stacked parties of dancing pros.

Maybe it's too late for U3 but please, make U4 MP (if there is one) skill-based while keeping it simple: you added too many features in U3 that the game itself couldn't handle them which led to a bug and glitch pandemic. One the best features of U2 is that it was simple.

Bottom line

Your low levels are kept safe and warm with all those things I listed above (RoF, Revenge, blindfire, melee, power Plays...etc), no need to worry about your player pool becoming empty. However, you should worry about that pool being filled with quality, not quantity, players.

:smileyhappy:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 172 of 178 (357 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

Aug 17, 2012

Shrantellatessa wrote:

I see that the Pros has 3 key words: "tactic," "aim" and "skill" while the Cons has 2 key words: "low levels" and "cover."

And from what I’ve been seeing lately from your decisions in the Multiplayer, it is more than sure that you're trying to totally get rid of the first category or at least make it weaker than the second one.

M9 RoF

The nerf is not enough, it needs to die with fire, its own rate of fire if possible please. And let's not forget about blindfire with all kinds of weapons (the SAS and Kal-7 say hi too).

Revenge

Everyone and their mom drops a nade when they die and in many occasions you just can't throw it back, and the worse part is that you can't throw back your teammate's Revenge nades.

Melee & Roll

That Lag-n-Roll "tactic" (or mechanic) that you put in the game, what does it do? It makes you not need to aim at all during the entire match. You just switch to your pistol with Blindfire Accuracy mod and you're good to go. I thought this was a shooter game where we're supposed to aim, not punch (This isn't Mortal Kombat!). And with the horrendous lag even if you try to "cancel" melees you're dead anyway.

Power Plays

I have no idea why you put this thing in the MP. I guess because you wanted to help randoms win against stacked full parties? Well, guess what? It doesn't work anymore because parties have all adapted to each PP now. And how on earth is it fair (when playing as a random against randoms or small parties) that when you're in a close match and you're pulling your hair out to win and finally start seeing a slight kill score difference suddenly a wild Power Play appears and insists that you HAVE to lose the match and if you disober, a cruel Overtime and a traumatising Sudden Death appears to kill what's left of your sanity and hope in this game?!

So I'm sorry that I'm not sorry to know that low levels can't deal with strafers and can't hit **bleep** when facing them. This is one of the rare skill-demanding tactics which remains in this game. And rest assured that a competent player doesn't heavily rely on FF to defend themselves. However, I think from a fairness and balance perspective, strafing (with or without FF) is a totally legit tactic for skilled players who want to survive in your MP and keep playing it for a bit longer.

The wrong message you're sending casual by making things too easy for them is that your game doesn't need to be learned because there is no real skill to learn. I say make it difficult so they learn from the better players and become better themselves.

I admit that when I first started playing U2 I hated strafers with their FF and used to find it cheap and I used to find their "dance" ridiculous, but guess what? I cried a bit in a corner, wiped my tears, grabbed my gun and learned how to do that death dance as well and today I can say that I'm pretty good at it.

The things you put in U3 has segregated the PM into set and rigid skill ladders that are not interactive at all. What I mean is that the skilled stay skilled (and maybe get a bit worn out since they don't really have to try getting better as they can rely on the casual "tactics" too for some easy kills) and the less skilled stay where they are too since they don't have to improve thanks to your casual-friendly MP.

I'm not saying make the MP pro-friendly (or "tryhard," if you're familiar with that term, friendly as some would say), just raise the skill bar to a decent level so the skilled and casuals can interact and learn.

Also, the Mercenaries Lab was an AWESOME experience! This makes me that it is indeed very possible to make that Lab a permanent playlist which, while being fun for so many of us, it'd also appease your concerns with casuals facing stacked parties of dancing pros.

Maybe it's too late for U3 but please, make U4 MP (if there is one) skill-based while keeping it simple: you added too many features in U3 that the game itself couldn't handle them which led to a bug and glitch pandemic. One the best features of U2 is that it was simple.

Bottom line

Your low levels are kept safe and warm with all those things I listed above (RoF, Revenge, blindfire, melee, power Plays...etc), no need to worry about your player pool becoming empty. However, you should worry about that pool being filled with quality, not quantity, players.

clap.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 173 of 178 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Aug 17, 2012

Shrantellatessa wrote:

M9 RoF

Revenge

Melee & Roll

Power Plays

Bottom line

Nothing but kudos

Please use plain text.
Message 174 of 178 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1973 posts

Aug 17, 2012

Shrantellatessa wrote:

M9 RoF

Revenge

Melee & Roll

Power Plays

Bottom line

. That was beautiful :,)
Please use plain text.
Message 175 of 178 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1399 posts

Aug 17, 2012

"low level players blah blah blah"

Stop. Listen, low level players are supposed to not do good. That's what it means to be low level. The more you play, the better skills you develop, and as you play you level up. So having a high level is a sign of playing a lot, and hopefully learning to be a skilled player.

If there is ONE THING you guys need to do for UC4 MP, it is STOP. HELPING. PLAYERS.

Things like Power Plays? Get that crap out of here. Why should I be punished because I have played your game enough to be skilled at it? How am I supposed to get a Rampant when theres a chance I'll be Exposed to all enemies, then Marked to all enemies, then all enemies can do Double Damage against me? That's your system for being "fair"?

If a low level player can't strafe, don't give them a kickback/booster/power play so that they don't have to worry about it. Tell 'em "tough luck, learn to strafe" and they will be forced to learn some skill and be like the rest of us.

and while I'm at it, get rid of any and all Lag Compensation. If a player has a poor connection, tell 'em "tough luck, get better internet". Most of us are paying a lot of money for high-speed internet, so why are we getting punished for it? If someone has slow internet, I should see them running around in slow-mo, not skipping around the map and shooting shot gun blasts from M9s.

Seriously, PS4/UC4 needs to have a cut-off for internet speed. If your internet's Download/Upload is below a certain point, you shouldn't be allowed to play online and ruin everyone else's fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 176 of 178 (253 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5336 posts

Aug 17, 2012

Shrantellatessa wrote:

Melee & Roll

Melee and roll has nothing to do with lag, in fact it works best on LAN. Furthermore, from someone who doesn't go for blindfire or melee kills. Melee and roll keeps me alive more than it allows me to kill people. I can melee + roll when the blindfirerers get close, they melee, miss me, and I shoot them.

It doesn't benefit blindfire rushing too much and it has constraints, you can't perform it instantaniously right after (twice), doesn't let you roll cancel the second melee hit. I imagine that was added at some point for balance.

Please use plain text.
Message 177 of 178 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2127 posts

Aug 18, 2012

Great post tessa!

You post so much better when the gloves are off. Kudos to you.

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/291671682.png
Please use plain text.
Message 178 of 178 (204 Views)
0 Likes