Wastelander
885 posts

Seriosuly...don't try to make out like you know anything...

Nov 7, 2011

Daniel1415 wrote:

Yes it would have had bigger emotional impact, but if Cutter died the story most likely wouldn't have went on.  Like you said "Wow.  I was the cause of my friend's death.", that probably would have kicked into Nate almost as soon as they escaped.  It's not good storytelling if you have the character go through the main revelation in the first quarter.  :smileytongue:

I do see your point though, it just wouldn't work for what the story was trying to accomplish.

Seriosuly...don't try to make out like you know anything about good storytelling. If Cutter died it would have at least given a little consequence to Syria. Having him break his leg, and then just disappear, was weak.

Message 21 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
837 posts

I don't think you know me enough to state whether or not...

Nov 7, 2011

TOMN92 wrote:

Daniel1415 wrote:

Yes it would have had bigger emotional impact, but if Cutter died the story most likely wouldn't have went on.  Like you said "Wow.  I was the cause of my friend's death.", that probably would have kicked into Nate almost as soon as they escaped.  It's not good storytelling if you have the character go through the main revelation in the first quarter.  :smileytongue:

I do see your point though, it just wouldn't work for what the story was trying to accomplish.

Seriosuly...don't try to make out like you know anything about good storytelling. If Cutter died it would have at least given a little consequence to Syria. Having him break his leg, and then just disappear, was weak.

I don't think you know me enough to state whether or not I know what good storytelling is.  We just have different opinions on this story.  Anyway drop it, I'll see you in the next thread you troll.  :smileyvery-happy:

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Daniel1415
Message 22 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

If he did die, you would be talking about how he was a gr...

Nov 7, 2011

TOMN92 wrote:

Daniel1415 wrote:

If he did die, you would be talking about how he was a great character and he should've been alive longer. 

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 23 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Seriously, is there no Uncharted 3 forum that ISN'T full...

Nov 7, 2011

TOMN92 wrote:

Daniel1415 wrote:

Seriously, is there no Uncharted 3 forum that ISN'T full of trolls?

Message 24 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
837 posts

^Nope!

Nov 7, 2011

^Nope!  But that goes for all forums.  :smileytongue:

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Daniel1415
Message 25 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Does anyone have any thoughts on my original post? I like...

Nov 7, 2011

Does anyone have any thoughts on my original post? I like the thoughts but I don't want for the topic to derail into just discussing (or trolling) alternate plot ideas.

Message 26 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Well said man.

Nov 7, 2011

Well said man.

Message 27 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

OP; you are my hero, though I am more than a little jealo...

Nov 7, 2011

OP; you are my hero, though I am more than a little jealous that I didn't write that post myself :smileytongue:

Hold on; baby asleep in arms... I need to put her down so I can use both hands to type... bear with me...

OK; she is IN HER COT! She is AWAKE though... Dang... (SHe has trouble naping on her own, bless her. Sleeping fine, but napping... no idea.)

Anyway... Cutter... (I am not going to talk about Salim as (no disrepect) I thought that was obvious and you got it all covered anyway. Turns out i wasn't as obvious as I thought as you have had to type all that.)

Sorry.

Cutter and his leg. Another criticism that I have heard come up time and time again is that of Chloe being in the game merely as 'fan service'. This will allude to an issue I have mentioned before, so apologies for that. In my view, she is not just fan service; Cutter needs to be in the story, as we need to see how ruthless Marlowe, Talbot et al are. He also highlights another facet/flaw in Nathan's character that we have not yet seen (that is another issue, if you care to know my thoughts on this, just ask.)

Anyway as I said, Cutter is an essential element to the story, and you have so eloquently explained his role. Chloe is also needed, as for one; I can not see Cutter galivanting off to Syria on his own. I don't care if people see this as lame, it is a fact.

The next question that arises is, then; if they need to go with buddies, which they do, why don't Cutter Nate and Sully go to France then Syria, without Chloe? Answer; because that would be over crowded. Also we need to see Nate and Sully alone together as that is the crux of the story.

There. In one thread we have explained why Cutter and Chloe are both needed and also why they do not have to be seen again. They have both served their purpose.

Displaced NDF individual Smiley Sad
Message 28 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

I can see why people may see the inclusion of Chloe as fa...

Nov 7, 2011
I can see why people may see the inclusion of Chloe as fan service, on the surface, but the fact is that a fourth character was needed for that section of the game and it makes far more sense to have at least one of the two people who go off to Syria be someone that both the player and the characters are familiar with.

Plus, of course, the character of Cutter highlights the fact that Drake & Sully are not adverse to using the same kind of tactics used by Marlowe & Talbot i.e. (Drake's) deception.
Message 29 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

Quite. If they had introduced another character to do wha...

Nov 7, 2011

DanThunder wrote:
I can see why people may see the inclusion of Chloe as fan service, on the surface, but the fact is that a fourth character was needed for that section of the game and it makes far more sense to have at least one of the two people who go off to Syria be someone that both the player and the characters are familiar with.

Plus, of course, the character of Cutter highlights the fact that Drake & Sully are not adverse to using the same kind of tactics used by Marlowe & Talbot i.e. (Drake's) deception.

Quite. If they had introduced another character to do what Chloe did I bet we'd hear 'Chloe it the best driver in the business; why didn't Naught Dog put her in. But also another character in what is also a rather large cast... tiring.

And an interesting point there abour Cutter; for me he highlights the fact that Nate's knowledge and learning is very specific to what he needs. Although it seems like Nate knows everyhing... well actually he only knows everything he (and by extension us) nedds to know. "Who the hell is MacDuff???" Someone of Nate's interlect really should know who MacDuff is, even if it doesn; come directly under his school of learning.

But you have pointed out a second use for Cutter.

Displaced NDF individual Smiley Sad
Message 30 of 44 (25 Views)
0 Likes