Aug 20 2012
By: beaverthecleaver First Son 13 posts

Plunder and Teammates Overtly Not Playing the Objective

57 replies 28692 views Edited Aug 20, 2012

My Uncharted 3 Multiplayer experience has been mostly regulated to Team Deathmatch, Free for All, and Hardcore. I dabble in Team Objective every now and then. But I keep hearing/reading people's awesome experiences with the Plunder gametype. So I decide to play a couple of matches on Plunder on my lazy Sunday and I kept running into folks that were very direct on not playing to the objective. In one match the team went up 4-0 with me capturing the first three of the idols. On the last idol one teammate blew me up with a grenade right at the treasure chest. Then further attempts at putting the idol in the treasure chest were thwarted by the same group of people that kept throwing the idol back into the middle of the map. They kept doing this every single time I brought the idol closer.

What gives? I would assume now that most people are well aware of the K/D not counting against their stats in Objective game types. Did I just run into a jerky set of players?

After the couple of matches I had today with these types of players I am left with a sour taste in my mouth with the Plunder gametype. I hope it was just the set of players. Let me know if I am missing anything.

Message 1 of 58 (28,692 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7444 posts

Re: Plunder and Teammates Overtly Not Playing the Objective

Aug 20, 2012

Sadly they are there just to build up their money in a way that won't effect their K/Ds. They're still kill farming but only for the sake of leveling up, and leveling boosters. An unfortunate side effect of the new legacies.

Message 2 of 58 (28,688 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
250 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 20, 2012

beaverthecleaver wrote:

My Uncharted 3 Multiplayer experience has been mostly regulated to Team Deathmatch, Free for All, and Hardcore. I dabble in Team Objective every now and then. But I keep hearing/reading people's awesome experiences with the Plunder gametype. So I decide to play a couple of matches on Plunder on my lazy Sunday and I kept running into folks that were very direct on not playing to the objective. In one match the team went up 4-0 with me capturing the first three of the idols. On the last idol one teammate blew me up with a grenade right at the treasure chest. Then further attempts at putting the idol in the treasure chest were thwarted by the same group of people that kept throwing the idol back into the middle of the map. They kept doing this every single time I brought the idol closer.

What gives? I would assume now that most people are well aware of the K/D not counting against their stats in Objective game types. Did I just run into a jerky set of players?

After the couple of matches I had today with these types of players I am left with a sour taste in my mouth with the Plunder gametype. I hope it was just the set of players. Let me know if I am missing anything.

I level scoped in up in plunder and cloaked , matches are longer and getting oh snap medals on an idol carrier is 10 times easier than getting oh snap medals on people who handhold and wall hug in TDM/Hardcore, however some maybe killfarm for fun and others do it fortrolling purposes maybe.

Message 3 of 58 (28,663 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
418 posts

Aug 20, 2012

You were unlucky, but there are reasons:

New legacies

Leveling up

Leveling up boosters

General idiocy

Since the K/D change, however, you run into these kinds of players far less frequently. But I'm sorry that you did, and hopefully you won't run into them on Plunder/TO as much in the future. I always play the objectives myself, so I understand the frustration.

Message 4 of 58 (28,652 Views)
Naughty Dog Developer
112 posts

Aug 20, 2012
Any thoughts on how this issue could be avoided (at least diminished)? We had some plans during the project but ran out of time.
Message 5 of 58 (28,622 Views)
Gaming Beast
1934 posts

Aug 20, 2012

cog182 wrote:
Any thoughts on how this issue could be avoided (at least diminished)? We had some plans during the project but ran out of time.

Not sure if this would be possible but perhaps teamsafe near the chest so they can't blow you up if you are carrying the idol.
 It would also be nice if you're not contributing to the objective(by picking up the idol, defending turfs etc.) for let's say 5 minutes you receive no medals, and money for kills.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 58 (28,614 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7444 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 20, 2012

cog182 wrote:

I'll try to think of something but honestly I completely understand why you didn't end up doing anything. It's hard to come up with a way to help this without hurting people who are drawn into a legitimate tug of war where there aren't many scores made.

As it's been previously suggested Team Safing around the chest would be an option, although then they'd make sure to get you before you were in range of that Team Safe, so I'd recommend the idol cause you to be Team Safed from both damage and knock down, since if you were knocked down then they could either grab the idol themselves or just team kill you since you aren't protected by holding the idol anymore.

Beyond that.... I'll be thinking about it.

Edit: Ok been thinking and so far what I've come up with is Captured medals getting a money increase while other medals become slightly less valuable in the Plunder mode. That way it encourages scoring over killing to get money because as it is right now Captured medals are worth nothing compared to the combined loads of medals people can get from kill farming instead. In U2 Plunder was a great way to make money and so once stats didn't matter there it was all about scoring as fast as you could and getting through as many Plunder matches as fast as you can to make money. In U3 the money you make in Plunder has nothing to do with getting captures and everything to do with getting medals from kills.

As for Booster Farming and Treasure Farming there are really no fixes I can think of because they would all punish people who would legitimately get Treasures or Medals towards boosters.

Also I'd recommend doing the money change before doing any mode changes like Team Safing the idol as changing people's motivations and essentially bribing them to play the mode correctly will probably get the best results, rather than them going even more out of their way to try and defy it when you add in countermeasures to thwart them.

Message 7 of 58 (28,609 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4754 posts

Aug 20, 2012
Joe has a good idea. Make the chest zone team safe. Or make a team kill REMOVE your earnings/achievements from the past five minutes our something.
Message 8 of 58 (28,602 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1934 posts

Aug 20, 2012

What about everyone gets a point when your team captures the idol? I mean it's a team based mode and everyone needs to work together to score. You will have less greedy people that want to score themselves.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 58 (28,600 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4754 posts

Aug 20, 2012
Everyone DOES get a capture point when your team scores.
Message 10 of 58 (28,591 Views)
0 Likes