Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 03 2012
By: gunnsandwiches42 Survivor 2121 posts

Plunder and TO=TDM Lite. Fix it!

[ Edited ]
153 replies 1020 views Edited Oct 16, 2012
Any thoughts on how this issue could be avoided (at least diminished)? We had some plans during the project but ran out of time.
-Cog182

It's time to get serious about Plunder and Team Objective!

No doubt you have seen, for a year now, threads about OBJ modes issues. I am of course refering to Plunder and Team Objective. We need to make these modes as distinct and custom fit as TDM. There are many issues in Plunder, for example. There is not enough incentive to cap the Idol, and there is plenty of incentive to kill/ money farm. But instead of narrowly solving small issues like carrying the Idol, we should take a broad brush and make real, meaningful changes. (EXCLAIMER: I am in support of pretty much every "fix OBJ modes" thread that I see. But I am tired of these problems still existing. I am not hating; I am on your side, so just hear me out)

The main problem is, that Plunder and Team Objective, as they currently exist, are mearly extensions on TDM. What this thread is about, is to make all 3 main modes (TDM, TO, Plunder) feel like individual unique, custom fit experiences. Once again, the problem with TO and Plunder is, that these modes are essentially TDM, with a slight twist. And this is simply not good enough. If it wasn't for Scootgar's successful campaign to get rid of KD stat tracking in these modes, they would be a complete disaster. However, there is SO MUCH room for improvement.

What do I mean by this? Well, I can count on one hand the amount of Plunder and TO only medals that are in the game. The VAST MAJORITY are from TDM. And a quick word on TDM: I thnk ND did a great job with it (besides power plays..). There are a ton of medals that keep things interesting, and the mode feels fleshed out and custom fit to a Deathmatch experience. Best of all, it rewards you to play the objective--to kill.

Time to give the other 2 main modes equal love. First, Plunder. Actually design the mode so that the main incentive is to Cap the Idol 5 times.  Right now, there is no such incentive, and this is why playing with randoms is often a nightmare. Dont reward me money for kills and medals. Instead reward me for Capping the Idol. Because that is the ONLY objective of Plunder. Impliment a system that encourages teams to score as fast as possible, which would give a corresponding amount of cash. I wont get into specifics here, just the take-home message--Design Plunder to play as Plunder, and not TDM. Design Team Objective to play as Team Objective.

Team Objective. Actually reward people for doing what they are supposed to do. Give everyone on the team a medal for every 60 seconds they hold the Idol in Treasure Hunter. Give a medal for gaining 30 King of the Hill points. Theres "expansionist" and "thou shall not pass." That is NOT NEARLY enough, and does not do justice to the mode. Right now, its mearly TDM, with some objective thrown in.

Also, loadouts. Loadouts should be Gamemode-based. Give me 4 for TDM, 4 for Plunder, and 4 for TO. This would go far in making each mode feel distinct and unique.

Again, my main thesis here is that Plunder and Team Objective should be treated like separate Modes, and get the treatment that TDM has received.  For anyone who says, "its fine, just dont play with randoms," that is simply not good enough. Randoms have no incentive to play properly...because there IS no incentive. This is something that is easily fixable, and would go a LONG way in improving the game and making each Mode feel different.  It would, dare I say it, make playing with randoms more bearable. We should not attempt to solve one small problem at a time, because our problems are on a gamemode-wide scale.

I dunno if this can be achieved for UC3, but it is a must for UC4 and beyond.  I know TDM is the most popular playlist, but thats no reason to cheapen the other 2 main gamemodes. Rather, its a reason to make them different and equally unique, cared for, experiences.

**My views and vision**

TDM works so well because everything in the gamemode is conducive to the objective--killing the other team. You get money for kills. You can use Negative Boosters and get even more money for kills. You get more money for Powerplay kills. You get money for Medals. You can earn streak medals, Fury medals, ect, which are specific to TDM. It doesn't matter if you're playing in a party, or with randoms, players in TDM always know how to play the Objective, in large part because they have incentive to do so--there is a reward.

The reason Plunder and Team Objective don't work as well is because there is too much incentive and rewards that have nothing to do with the Objective. In Plunder, you get has much Cash for a Drop It as you do for Capturing the Idol. And Capping the Idol is the SOLE puropose of Plunder. That contrast is ridiculous.

In Plunder, you should get 0 cash for a kill, and Cash Rewards for Medals should be completely overhauled. It makes no sense that every medals, across all playists, are worth the same cash.  Example: Strike 3 in TDM: Good for you! You deserve some cash for that feat. Strike 3 in Plunder: Who Cares? 0 cash, but here's a medal torwards you kickback.  And Obviously, Captured needs a MUCH bigger cash reward.

Plunder should be all about incentive and rewards based on Capping the Idol 5 times, as quickly as possible. Currently, this incentive does not exist--its up to the player if they would rather money/kill farm or actually Cap the Idol. This is why randoms can be useless, and why kill farming exists--the behavior is allowed, even encouraged in Plunder. Plunder should be fundementally altered so that the ONLY purpose is Capping the Idol 5 times. So maybe that Random Slayer on your team would actually pick up and throw the Idol every now and again. Suddenly he gets no reward for JUST Slaying. Its either go play TDM, or start to help the team out and PLAY THE OBJECTIVE.

In Team Objective, Kill Farming is not as big of a problem, because yes, it is necessary to kill the other team to win. However, adding a whole bunch of TO only Medals, which enourage players to play properly, would greatly help. Personally I would like Kills to reward 0 cash. But that would only be good if there were ample TO Medals. Medals for staying in the Hill a long period, Medals (for entire team) for holding the Treasure a long period, ect. Medals for Sweeping Chain Reaction. For taking "3" in Chain Reaction first. For winning chain Reaction in under 2 minutes.Truth be told, getting rid of KD stat tracking in this mode helped a lot. But it clearly needs more of its own Medals.

Booster Leveling:

If ND was serious about creating a Capture the Idol mode, they would abolish the leveling of certain boosters. Beast Mode and Back in the Saddle, for example, are fine.  But Cloaked, Scoped in, and Weapon Expert should not level in Plunder. The positive effects of this change would be many: Plunder would play as Plunder. There would not be an excess of fools with Gold Cloaked, Gold Scoped In, ect, who just got them by being a worthless teammate in Plunder. You want Cloaked Gold? Earn it in TDM.

Maybe most importantly, is that real, meaningful changes to Plunder and Team Objective such as these would make playing in Public Matchmaking with Randoms more enjoyable. And let's face it--99% of the players in this game play as Randoms in Public Matchmaking.

Bullet Points:

Abolish Booster leveling (certain boosters) in Plunder and TO

Change the value of medals (like Captured and Drop It)

Adjust value of medals so the same medal is not worth the same cash in all 3 playlists

Patch in MANY Team Objective medals that encourage team work and playing the objective

This would make OBJ modes more enjoyable when playing with randoms

This would reward you, and others, for playing the objective properly

This would make the 3 main modes feel more unique and individualized

This would greatly curb kill/money farming of any kind

This would improve TDM, because it would gain the players who can no longer killfarm

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 154 (1,020 Views)
Gaming Beast
1861 posts

Re: Give OBJ Modes The Same Love as TDM

Oct 3, 2012

Great thread! TDM is a cesspool, ND needs to show some love for plunder and team objective. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34gau1c.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 154 (975 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
766 posts

Oct 3, 2012
I play TO mostly so I would definitely like to see some support from ND in the form of technical fixes or more medals or anything to make it funner.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 154 (958 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11094 posts

Oct 3, 2012

How did i miss this thread... :smileyindifferent:

Anyway, i agree with everything you said, but for me, all i actually need is people to stop farming Plunder, no Unlucky in both modes and no TDM in TO.

If ND did more than ^that i'd be surprised, hell, if ND did ^that i'd be surprised.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 154 (953 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2178 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Kudos to you sir. Team Objectives is my favorite game mode and has been since release and these changes will make it sooooooo much more better.

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 154 (941 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7369 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 16, 2012

Sorry, but I've lost all hope in ND ever doing anything big to TO. Remember my Team Objective fixes thread anyone? It got over 60 likes but ND completely ignored it.  

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 154 (927 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2121 posts

Oct 3, 2012

samuelcd1997 wrote:

Sorry, but I've lost all home in ND ever doing anything big to TO. Remember my Team Objective fixes thread anyone? It got over 60 likes but ND completely ignored it.  

I can't blame you for losing hope. Thats too bad.

And they didnt completely ignore it, they moved TDM to Round 5! lol

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 154 (906 Views)
Survivor
2121 posts

Oct 3, 2012

renatabls wrote:

How did i miss this thread... :smileyindifferent:

Anyway, i agree with everything you said, but for me, all i actually need is people to stop farming Plunder, no Unlucky in both modes and no TDM in TO.

If ND did more than ^that i'd be surprised, hell, if ND did ^that i'd be surprised.

Yeah I agree, Unlucky does not belong in Plunder or TO. Its the wrong kind of incentive. Encourages people NOT to risk their life.

Whereas in TDM, it makes perfect sense, as you shoud not want to die 5 times in a row.

And of course TDM does not belong in TO...but clearly ND is stuck on keeping it.

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 154 (899 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4568 posts

Re: Give OBJ Modes The Same Love as TDM (EDIT)

Oct 3, 2012
You are against unlucky medals?
It actually gives an incentive to die multiple times.

Honestly, what's wrong with you? It gives $$ Xp and a medal to get your kickback.

There is no problem with the medal being there, and if you actually care about the amount of unluckies that you have, I pity you.

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 154 (885 Views)
Survivor
2121 posts

Re: Give OBJ Modes The Same Love as TDM (EDIT)

Oct 3, 2012

shadowlibraboy wrote:
You are against unlucky medals?
It actually gives an incentive to die multiple times.

Honestly, what's wrong with you? It gives $$ Xp and a medal to get your kickback.

There is no problem with the medal being there, and if you actually care about the amount of unluckies that you have, I pity you.

Ha, read my thread, I didn't mention Unluckies for a reason--there are more important issue that need to be addressed.

Thanks for cherry picking one opinion I shared with a fellow forumer...

Why would you need or want incentive to die multiple times? I don't see your point. I also don't care about my kickback, so that's a moot point. And if you think I care about how many Unluckies I have...look at my stats. I pity those people also.

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 154 (880 Views)
0 Likes