Jan 20 2012
By: scootgar Big Daddy 16348 posts

Plunder Tips and Strategies - The Chateau

22 replies 11614 views Edited Jan 20, 2012

Here is the first in what will hopefully be a full series of tip threads for Plunder on the various Maps of Uncharted 3.

There was a similar project for Uncharted 2, begin by RaCpram12 and myself, and I'd like to continue it, here.

The main thrust of this will be to help the new or random player.  Large teams rarely need this sort of assistance.  They've played together and know what they're doing, as parts and individuals in a scoring machine.

There will also be a generic tips thread, and a link will be placed here to advise on small, simple things one can do to improve Plunder performance. Any and all recommendations, tips and insights are welcomed, and will be added to the first post.  A link to this thread will be placed in the Community Project Tome started by PeteX19.

===================================================================================

1.)  Starting out.

First of all, be sure to pick up the power weapons.  The Heroes have instant access to the Hammer; the Villains to the 2-shot RPG.  I'm amazed at how many times I wander by these spawn points a few minutes into a match, before a respawn would have happened, and they're still there.  At the very least, you deny them to the opposition.

2.)  Move the newly spawned Idol as soon as possible.

Probably more than any other map, the Chateau is difficult to return the Idol to your own side, once it's on the enemy's side of the Chateau.  The general tip to always prepare for a new spawn goes double here.  The best preparation for this is to go to the top floor of the Chateau.  This places you central to the map's long axis, and even if you're beaten to the spawn, you're already in the best first defensive position if the enemy gains the Idol, or in the best position to defend your own scorer should your team gain the Plunder.

3.)  Idol Spawn Points

For the most part, The Chateau's Idol Spawn Points are neutral.  Where there is a slight advantage for a couple, they are divided. 

The Zipline Room - favours neither team.

The bottom of the spiral stair - slightly favours Heroes.

The midpoint of the back, upper stairwell - slightly favours Villains

The doorway of the collapsing room - is neutral.

The central, ground floor room - again, neutral.

It's important, in each of the above, to get the Idol clearly and cleanly onto your side of the map.

4.)  Moving the Idol

The individual sides of this map are rather open.  They come under fire from the Chateau; high, covered vantage points at their sides, and by infamous enemy spawns right in line of sight to the score area.  For this reason it's vital to use the long throw to move the Idol as close as possible, as often as possible, to your chest. 
If you're unaware of the method, simply hold L2 while moving with the Plunder Idol, and an arc, showing the expected path of the Idol when thrown, appears.  From the upper level, move as close to the edge of the upper floor as you can, and angle/arc the Idol toward your chest.  This is an area where Villains have a slight advantage.  The depth of their 'side' is shorter that the Heroes, so a long throw, especially from the Zipline Room, goes almost directly to their chest.)

5.) Controlling the Spawn Points

Chateau is famous for having enemy spawn points that have clear, close line of sight to the score chest for both sides.  The Heroes can spawn at the zipline landing, within only a few yards of the Villain Chest.   The Villains can spawn at the cliff edge, below the ruined building, with a line of sight obscured only slightly by the tree under which the Hammer spawns.
A good strategy is to move to that area in your base when trying to score.  This prevents enemies spawning in those points during play, and significantly reduces their ability to bring fire on the chest area immediately after spawning.

6.)  Lanes of Travel

The main routes from one side of this map to the other are as follows:

1.)  Over the ground, outside the Chateau, at the Zipline end of the building.

2.)  Through the ground floor room that is collapsed on, and where the Pistole Spawns.

3.)  Through the central ground floor room that connects to the Pistole Room via a window.

Also, there are these less likely routes:

4.)  From Villain to hero up the staircase where the Pak-80 spawns, and via the upper level through the Spiral Stair area.

5.)  From Hero to Villains via the tower stair, across the wall and through the zipline room.

The 3rd route is by far the best general movement method.  It is linearly the shortest, is a dark room difficult to aim into from the lighted outsides, it has good cover for any teammate accompanying you, and permits covering fire by you on the Idol once you've thrown it out.  And throwing the Idol out of here is your first priority.  As difficult as it is to pick up an Idol and not get shot, it's even more difficult for people outside this room to retrieve and move it back as you fire from darkened cover.
This is an instance where the tip to throw from the edge of the area may be ignored.  Throw the idol out as soon as the arc clears the lip of the exit.

6.)  Power Weapons

The Chateau contains the following Power Weapons in Plunder:

1.)  RPG on a bench in the Villains' score area.

2.)  M-32 Hammer in the circular concrete around the tree in the Hero score area.

3.)  Pistole in the Chandelier room that collapses.

4.)  T-Bolt in the long, upper corridor on the Hero side of the upper Chateau.
5.)  Pak-80 on the landing area on the Villains' side, where the staircase splits to go to the spiral stair room, the Zipline or drops into the Pistole Room.
6.)  A Mag in the collapsing room.  Note: this is still accessible after the room collapses.

7.)  Cluster Bomb

Cluster Bomb is a particularly useful booster in this area.  Because of the relatively open nature of the score areas, the expanding spawn of the cluster covers a massive area without being contained by baffles of cover or walls of rooms.  The clear view and vantage from the Upper Chateau provides perfect opportunity to see where and when to throw one.   Consider this in a loadout if you're playing Plunder and anticipate Chateau, or have it in a loadout just in case.

8.)  Side-specific strategies

Heroes:

The Hero chest is against a wall.  The wall is part of a small semi-enclosed area adjoining the tower.  It is a very good idea when approaching this area under fire not to throw the idol near the chest, but back in behind this wall.  The next team member can then usually pick up the Plunder in defilade to enemy fire.  Not only that, but a full-health player, even without Beast Mode, can usually exit the opening near the chest and score before dying.
In addition, use of the camera can let you look out through this opening at the most likely cover positions, to see if enemies can bring fire on you before running out in the open.  Also, grenades thrown at the chest area are blocked by these walls, so don't be afraid to pop out and duck back in, to draw those quick booms, which fall on fallow ground, over which you then walk for the score.

Vehicles.  The two vehicles in the Hero area are a boon and a bane.  They lend cover to you, but also can explode on you.   They serve as cover just as well once they've exploded.  So, if you have no real use for the hammer at start, say you prefer a loadout weapon, at least use it to destroy the vehicles, so the enemy can't use their collateral explosions to damage you on a scoring run.  If you don't have the hammer, plop a spare grenade next to them whenever you spawn in the area.  .

Also, keep in mind that the rearmost vehicle, next to the wall, usually serves as cover for Villains attempting to stop you spawning.  You can use it, if not destroyed, to kill them.  But if you're mastering the Villain Spawn here, this shouldn't be an issue.

Defending the Villains: The best cover position is the Turret Area in the Villain base.  It has several good firing openings, good cover, can command the Spawn area below it and can see the length of the courtyard to Villains entering at the far end.

Villains:

The Villains have a slight advantage in the chest being closer to the main building.  But this is mitigated somewhat by the very close Hero Spawn in their score area, and by the very close, good cover firing position where the TDM Turret is.  So, if you're not actively moving the Idol, it's in your best interest to command this area, and keep Heroes off of it.

Be sure to pick up the RPG at start.  It can often find 2 victims together as there's a race for the initial Idol.  And nothing demoralises someone than being RPGed within 30 seconds of game start...

Explosives Expert and Quick Boom seem the sweetest combination for this map.   From the upper floors of the Chateau this combination can command the action in the Hero Score area.  Cluster Bomb is good for both sides, but Quick boom, plus the three grenades from Explosives Expert, can be more surgical in defending a score, especially with the lack of small cover around the Hero Chest, as there is in the Villain area.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 17 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
579 posts

Re: Plunder Tips and Strategies - The Chateau

Jan 19, 2012

the ting is i rly dnt lik using the M320 GL or RPG7 cus its kinda op..I fel so "chep" against enemys they have no way to fight bak wich isnt fair, i prefer being a good player and using KAL7 usually cutters cause the ZOOM IS EPIC!

-
My FB for UC3 Treasure sharing;
http://www.facebook.com/TreasureShareFarming
Also if you want to farm treasures (Adventure) add that facebook account.
Message 1 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
562 posts

Jan 19, 2012

Nice work scoot, some good stuff here. I can't really think of anything you missed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RFFN Website
Message 2 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1194 posts

Jan 19, 2012

Great work, more people should play Plunder instead of TDM and those.

Plunder IS Uncharted.

Message 3 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
579 posts

Jan 19, 2012

Corection friend Plunder is a objectiv based game mode sometimes known as TDM with no countr hehe!

NeVeO wrote:

Great work, more people should play Plunder instead of TDM and those.

Plunder IS Uncharted.

-
My FB for UC3 Treasure sharing;
http://www.facebook.com/TreasureShareFarming
Also if you want to farm treasures (Adventure) add that facebook account.
Message 4 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1008 posts

Jan 19, 2012

you should put this in the tome section.

Message 5 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2205 posts

Jan 19, 2012

cant believe your revealing our secrets. not sure how i feel about this

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 6 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Jan 19, 2012

It's linked by PeteX19's tome on becoming a better player, Community Project..

Rather than clutter a tome with the material, I link to it from there

There's gonna be a bunch of these.

The Biggest Lies

Message 7 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
361 posts

Jan 19, 2012

from one plunder player to another i agree with everything in this post except one thing. i think the villians have an advantage on the zip line spawn of the idol all you have to do is pick it up throw it out the opening and it's basically at the box.

and i totally agree with controlling the dm turret area when your a villian there is always someone up there and they can be a pain if you don't control that area.

on a side note good games yesterday gunnsandwiches42 i look forward to teaming up with you and monochrome fear again and ending plunder matches in 2-3 miinutes

Message 8 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Jan 19, 2012

scott7000 wrote:

from one plunder player to another i agree with everything in this post except one thing. i think the villians have an advantage on the zip line spawn of the idol all you have to do is pick it up throw it out the opening and it's basically at the box.

Entirely reasonable.  If the lip wasn't there, and you could easily walk up to the open zipline exit, then I'd wholeheartedly agree.  Otherwise, I think this is simply part of the general advantage Villains hold for their shallow score area.

Always good to hear your opinion on anything in this area.  Thanks!

The Biggest Lies

Message 9 of 23 (11,614 Views)
0 Likes