First Son
1 posts

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Jan 13, 2013

I would like to add my experience to this list, in case anyone has had something similar...

I am using a brand new, right-out-of-the-box console, the 500GB PS3 (not slim).  On first booting the machine, I upgraded the software to the latest version.

I am using a brand new, right-out-of-the-shrinkwrap, Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition.

When I insert the UC3 disc, the disc appears on the main PS3 menu and is recognized to be UC3.

When I click on the game to start it, the screen goes black.  It stays black for 5 to 10 minutes.  During this time, the controller does not respond (eg, pressing or holding the PS button on the controller doesn't call up the menu).  Also during the black screen, the machine makes periodic clicking noises in quick quadruples, as if it is trying to read the disc.  After doing this periodically for about 10 minutes, then I can hear the disc whirring like it's trying to spin up, then spins down, then spins up, then down.

Eventually, a screen pops up asking me to upgrade the UC3 software to version 1.15.  Hitting OK at this time causes the machine to reboot.

I've tried this several times, always with the exact same result.  I've tried this after deleting the game data, with and without UC1 game data present, and followed other suggestions mentioned in this thread.  The result is always the same: black screen for about 10 minutes (with clicking from the machine, then spin up/spin down), then a request for upgrading the UC 3 software, then a reboot when I hit OK.

To reiterate, this is a BRAND NEW PS3 system and a BRAND NEW UC3 GOTY disc.

Thanks for any feedback.

Message 311 of 381 (1,016 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 14, 2013

i'm listing my personal experience because im **bleep** that i can't even play single player right now

after upgrading to the OPTIONAL ps3 firmware 4.31 i loaded up UC3 hoping to jump on multiplayer but all that happened was that i watched a ring spin for about 30 mins. Earlier that same day it was playing fine but to confirm my theories i asked a friend if he could go into the game and he loaded it up on the 4.30 firmware and it was perfectly fine. I asked said friend if he could upgrade to 4.31 and get the same result and since then neither me nor him have been able to get passed that **bleep** spinning ring

im using a 160gb slim with a swapped hdd i have done a complete format and still the problem persists and from the looks of it 4.31 is to blame

Message 312 of 381 (1,007 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 16, 2013
  1. Arne:

What is the status on this?  I just received the 250 gb slim pse bundled with uc3.  I am getting the spinning ring, along with 90% of the time unable to play on the multiplayer online.  I had an older ps3 along with uc2 that I also was not able to play online?  I would like a solution, and also would like to know why if this is such a known issue this was still being sold.  I read all 32 pages here and do not see a final resolution on the issue.  Please assist.  This is extremely frustrating and really unfortunate. 

Message 313 of 381 (985 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 21, 2013

I'd have to agree with apemanola. It is unfathomable that the testing is centered on the units and "picking" hardly seems like a population. I have enjoyed your series all the way up to 2 weeks ago. I have lost complete access to multiplayer, super slow loading on the campaign and "spinning circles" when I do try to play campaign. The disc is in almost perfect condition.

I have no idea why this happened so suddenly, but appears I'm not alone.

Bottom line-you guys went from hero to zero. Add me to another customer LOST!

Message 314 of 381 (929 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 21, 2013
I have the same problems as you guys. Worked fine for about 8 months, then 3 days ago I played for about an hour, shut off my PS3, and then it would not load up again. I called Sony today and said that even though thay Naughty Dog made the game it is a Sony game. So I am not sure who is suppose to fix this problem. Someone needs to figure it out soon
Message 315 of 381 (919 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 21, 2013
Hey shot me a PM. I would consider sending it in if it would fix my problem. I have that spinning ring the other day and i can seem to load it now.
Message 316 of 381 (918 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jan 27, 2013
**bleep**, I have this issue about 1% of the time, it usually resolves if you wait until a few people leave the room. The bigger issues with this game are the lack of regional matchmaking and dedicated servers to combat the completely unfair advantage given to those with a bad connection. I hate this and have posted, tweeted, and hit up naughty dogs facebook to no avail and never a response. Even with all that, I would not take to these forums and question the integrity or intelligence of one of the developers trying to reach out to the community to try and fix a problem....uncalled for!
Message 317 of 381 (844 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Feb 3, 2013

Hi I'd also like to add my experience.

Im a HUGE uncharted fan got uncharted 3 on launch day. I can't play MP anymore it's SO horribly bad!! E.g. A year ago it'd only take my ps3 a few seconds, 10-20 secondstax, to sync and connect to the servers - the white bar would fill in about 3 or 4 little increments, got me? Then over the months (and uncharted patches) it started to take longer to sync the white bar would grow to be like 6 or 8 little increments which was ok as it would still (seemingly) sync and connect in less than 1 minute. 

Then came October and I stopped playing uncharted 3 altogether (partially because of the syncing and freezing, ps3 and wifi connection problems) because I bought the AC3 freedom edition, with all the DLCs. Loshort ory short AC3 is THE MOST GLITCHIEST GAME EVER!! (WHO release aN important patch on launch day to fix 44 bugs?! No one! Ubisoft soft have lost a HUGE AC fan and loyal customer? I don't care how good AC3.1 and/or AC3.2 are, I'm not buying it).

Anyway I went back to playing uncharted multiplayer again (after I deleted everything AC3 related off my ps3). The syncing was the worst (thus far)!!!  Then I went back to delete some games of the ps3 memory. NOW IT IS THE WORST TO 'SYNC'!!! It refuses to sync. Everytime I turn on the ps3 it sounds like its doing everything not to YLOD and die. The noises it make are loud as! Within 1 minute of turning it on, til it gets to the main uncharted 3 page with all the options to play MP, campaign, extras, etc IT IS SOOO HOT!! After 1 minute of turning it on, it's really warm. WHY? More often than not I'm kicked out of PSN, I have no idea why. The uncharted 3 background doesn't show up anymore (I don't know of its that XML Ing people are talking about, I'm not that savvy when it co,es to ps3 stuff).

It literally can take up to 1.5hrs to sync, I just let it sit and 'sync' and try and get the level data let alone the 'connecting' to servers it does.  Sometimes the white has filled up and those small numbers pops up in the top right hand corner and usually you'd see the typical ND uncharted announcement, but NO!! For some reason Los"fails to sync" although the whitebar has fully filled up. It takes ages for matching me up with randoms. A lot of the ones I can't invite my buddies or join ear party. If I do and that brown retangular box pops up saying that it's connecting you to their party/sending an invite, my ps3 will just FREEZE!! Sometimes the circle thing is spinning but a lot of times it's not and it's frozen, but I can hear the music.

Maybe it's a wifi issue? No, the wifi router is 1 meter away!! Now I always pull the ps3 closer to the router to see if it 'helps', but it doesn't. Lots of times my ps3 freezes because of uncharted and its MP. I got a PSN voucher and was going to buy some uncharted DLCSs, NOT NOW!! My ps3 ALWAYS sounds like its going to YLOD and brick. 

If I'm stuck at a 'invite' and get get out and have been waiting for 30mins, I'll just either quit game (if I can, it doesn't always work) and that TURNS OFF MY PS3. I never knew when you quit a game via the PS button, it will make a bunches of weird noises and heat up a lot and turn off. Then if I'm up to it I'll starah again - test my network connection then start up uncharted, sign into PSN, TRY to sync and 2 hrs later give up and goto something else.

Im currently bidding any any and all used ps3's on eBay lol. I have a phat original ps3. But don't know how many gb or anything else. PLEASE HELP!!

If I ever start to think straight, this heart will start a riot in me.
Message 318 of 381 (775 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Greetings, Naughty Dog.

A long time have passed and it doesn't seems like you have an actual solution for that problem? Haven't found a proper instruction on that issue yet. Only an awkward advices from users like placing your PS3 with a BD-ROM facing up O__o before putting a disc inside. The bad thing is you are not giving out any official statements about that problem and manuals how to fix it. It means you do not acknowledge that as a problem Smiley Sad. Hence, i'm a bit frustrated writing this post, because i do not believe i will recieve an answer.

In my case game doesn't appears in XMB. When i load disc in my PS3 it start proudcing a common sounds, trying to read the disc, but it came out unsuccessfull, after that i can hear some kind of "ejecting sound" (can you explaing me what does it mean?), but the discs stays inside. It appears to me like a final attempt to read that disc, because after that system doesn't take any actions to continue on reading the disc.

I haven't tried out other Uncharted 3 discs, only mine. Disc doesn't have a scratch, it's perfect. Despite that fact i still cleaned it alot with a soft cloth - no result.

PS3 model number is CECH-2008A.

From Russia, with love, but without hope.

Message 319 of 381 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Feb 10, 2013
I forgot to add, whilst I was extremely pis$ed off at ubisoft about my glitchy as(!) AC3 freedom edition game disc, I was comparing them to you (Naughty Dog) saying that you guys were awesome as you were releasing patches, etc even though they're on,y multiplayer patches. I kind of take that back now, you guys aren't finding a solution to this problem A LOT of gamers are experiencing so it's not an isolated issue.

Anyways, this is what I did since I was so fed up:
I read what Arne wrote in the first few pages but deleting the patches or whatever from the ps3 which I didn't do since I'm afraid that'll make the issue worse). But I inserted another game disc in my ps3 to see if it's an actual ps3 problem, I mistakenly forgot about the patches you NEED to download to play AC3, so then I spend the next (what felt like) 30 mins (maybe it was more so actually 25 mins of waiting, it was ages) waiting for AC3 to load from inserting the disc and pressing ok to the main screen with campaign, extras, multiplayer, etc. i quit ASAP.

Then I inserted uncharted 2 which I haven't played since 2010/early 2011, everything worked perfectly! My ps3 didn't overheat so hot as it usually would with unchart 3 (surprisingly mŷ ps3 didn't overheat when it was loading AC3 and making weird, loud noises). I played til the heist (just before you enter the tower to the museum) scene and my ps3 and game were fine! Unbelievable. I also played uncharted 3 crushing campaign a few weeks ago but got stick at the chateau since the outside surrounding WERE NOT RENDERED! There was no detail and it glitched/bug were it was just blue screen everywhere...except inside the chateau where drake and sully were.

Although my ps3 is very old, it ain't the problem. I'm 95% sure it's the game disc that's the issue and what everyone else has previously said. My ps3 has a hard time reading the uncharted disc but fine reading other discs (including saints row the third, uncharted 2, all the other AC games especially AC3 even though it too way to long to load).
If I ever start to think straight, this heart will start a riot in me.
Message 320 of 381 (700 Views)
0 Likes