Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 19, 2012

LariosoDog wrote:

There was a poster in another thread here that claimed that ND explained somwhere else that they bypass cache streaming to load scenes more quickly. Have no idea whether there is any truth in this though. This could explain what UC3 is doing that hardly any other game does.

That's not true, unless he has a source to back it up. Do you have a link of that post?

Uncharted 3 is probably one of the most cache-intensive games... just have a look at the HDD LED, it's constantly flashing.

I don't buy the bad sector explanation, the OS or even better the HDD firmware should be able to mark bad sectors on-the-fly. The cache fragmentation (already documented in an interview) and maybe the newer HDDs (4K) is a more probable explanation.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 101 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Feb 21, 2012

waiting on next sony update. hope it helps

Message 102 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1669 posts

Feb 21, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

LariosoDog wrote:

There was a poster in another thread here that claimed that ND explained somwhere else that they bypass cache streaming to load scenes more quickly. Have no idea whether there is any truth in this though. This could explain what UC3 is doing that hardly any other game does.

That's not true, unless he has a source to back it up. Do you have a link of that post?

Uncharted 3 is probably one of the most cache-intensive games... just have a look at the HDD LED, it's constantly flashing.

I don't buy the bad sector explanation, the OS or even better the HDD firmware should be able to mark bad sectors on-the-fly. The cache fragmentation (already documented in an interview) and maybe the newer HDDs (4K) is a more probable explanation.

Yeah, we use the HDD cache. That's why one/some of the ways to try to fix this were ways to flush or reset the cache area.

Message 103 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Feb 22, 2012

yep, i've waited 3 months for a patch and nothing.

might as well make money and trade this in for $16 at EBGames.

never going to buy Last Of Us or any other Naughty Dog games again.

Message 104 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Feb 22, 2012

thank the vita for all these troubles.

Message 105 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 23, 2012

i'm having same trouble for a few weeks now.

first, the ring kept on spining....

if i kept trying, sometimes it went through.

but lately, it doesn't even get to the ring part anymore and it's just black.

i don't see any orange lamp blinking on ps3, so it looks like it's not even trying to read anything.(when it does  goes though, the lamp is blinking a lot)

and when i get to the ring part once in a while, it might go through, but it still act all weird and freeze right before game starts. (mine and other people's character show up on screen and just sit there when count down goes to 1)

when it DOESNT happen, i can actualy play game, but then there is no sound! i hear music, my character's voice, but no shooting sound or grenade or RPG or anything...

now new map pack came out but i can't even play...

i did try deleting game data and stuff, and it did not work.

my ps3 is slim 120gb, which i just got like 6 months ago, becuase i had fat 80gb one and it started to freeze every time i played UC2...

i still have 80gb one, because other games still works fine on it. (i don't know why...)

and i did try UC3 on it, it used to work before, but not anymore....

so it might be disc problem???

i though about buying new UC3, but somebody said here that it still did not work so i don't know if i should...

Message 106 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1669 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Just an update - we are due to receive a disk in from someone who has experienced this issue on multiple consoles to check and see if it could be a disk issue as well. 

That's the latest.

Again, sorry for the slow going, this has been a tough nut to crack without being able to reproduce any of this on our test/debug kits.

Message 107 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Feb 23, 2012

thanks arne. i know this is very hard issue just do what you can.

Message 108 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 24, 2012

oh, that is a good news!

i really hope you guys could find a solution for this so we could play UC3 again!!

Message 109 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 24, 2012

I've been having this problem as well. Everytime I try to load my story mode which is on Chapter 6 The Chateu the ring continues to spin while nothing happens and it forces me to quit the game. Not only am I having a problem with this but multiplayer is also completely unplayable. Whenever I try to log in either multiplayer or co-op or even lan it gets to connecting, the bar fills up, and the ps3 freezes causing me to have to switch it on and off again. Right now my Uncharted is basically completely unplayable as now neither my Single Player or Multiplayer works properly.

Message 110 of 381 (335 Views)
0 Likes