Splicer
53 posts

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Mar 22, 2012

Strange enough I read a lot of posters that managed to get passed the spinning ring issue by turning the slot towards the ceiling. Then placing it in normal position again.

This is in favour or Arnes strategy there is something mechanical involved somehow in the discreading process.

There is tolerance on all mechanical stuff, discs and readers etc.

And one can imagine that double layer disc need better tolerance in every aspect.

But since people usually seem to be able to play other double layer disc - with some exceptions to the rule - and it's only UC3 that fails it's might be that there is something more to this problem.

CountryStorm wrote:

ok so i posted a few months back. and i was told to delete all game data from all uncharted games and reinstall and create a new save game which did in fact work briefly but within a couple days the problems began again. it seems to me that if that trick worked however briefly than it most likely has nothing to do with smudges or scratches.

I have three or four very small not very deep at all scratches on my disk. i have games that are insanely scratched up and still work properly. so again it seems to me that this excuse or reason is a little far fetched. yesterday after not even bothering to try for a month i put the game in. i got on to the multiplayer played one match and the game froze...i then had to restart my ps3 i got in four times after that played one match each time and again each time the game froze after my first match. so i gave up. went to go play it just now and i cant even get past the first ring again. if this was a scratch situation wouldn't we all have to have the same scratch in all the same spot on the disk to be experiencing the same issue? and if said scratch caused the game not to load then how is it possible that sometimes it doesn't freeze up , or why does it freeze at different times?

Message 171 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 22, 2012

Arne, my UC 3 just konked today. My boys played it, left it in the machine, I booted up, nothing. Spinning ring of death. I rebooted, cleaned the disk (it's perfectly clean without a single scratch or smudge). Since the disk wasn't touched between working and not working, it cannot be a smudge in either case.

Will you be replacing my game? What can I do in the meantime?

Message 172 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 22, 2012

Secondly, Arne, you must have read many, many posts from people who tried other games and had them work perfectly right away. I am more than willing to send you my copy to test if you promise to fix my issue.

Message 173 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 23, 2012

I am having trouble loading past chaper 9 and got the spinning ring too... but I´m from Brazil so I can´t do nothing about it, just checking regularly to see if there are any news!! Can´t play for more then a month now thanks to that, and some other dual layer games are freezing too since the 4.0 fw update, so it has something to do with that!!

Well, will keep checking!! Hope to solve it soon

Message 174 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
20 posts

Mar 23, 2012

I got the collectors edition for my birthday and it doesn't work, I rented 2 other copys and it doesn't work, tried it on my friends playstation and it loaded up. At this point I don't care about why I just want to play Uncharted 3 already, Please I am begging someone to help me out here and tell me what to do.

XBL: PMS BlueJay
Message 175 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 23, 2012

Arne, it's been about 4 months since i first posted on here...no pm's..no replies to my emails...i don't even care about a fix at this point. i want a refund. but i'm sure you're never going to make this better..i might as well burn my copy...at least i'll get some joy out of it. i'm never buying another naughty dog product again.

Message 176 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
537 posts

Mar 23, 2012

LariosoDog wrote:

Strange enough I read a lot of posters that managed to get passed the spinning ring issue by turning the slot towards the ceiling. Then placing it in normal position again.

After two or three hours of either restarting and re-inserting the game, deleting data, and putting a new game in, it still would not load pass the spinning ring

So I turned the ps3 on its side put the game in and it loaded up first time all the way to "find match" but it froze as the match tried to start, it did this 3 more times and I just gave up in the end as matches just would not start

YOU'RE NOT GOOD.....YOU JUST LAG.....YES YOU!
Message 177 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 23, 2012

i posted a little while ago here, about how i'm having a same problem.

i haven't tried to play uc3 for a while, but i just tried 2 days ago. at first it was just black screen and i was like "ok, so it doesn't even get to the spinning ring anymore..." and just left it there for a few minutes. then i see ring spinning!! it worked!!

now, the problem i have is something i mentioned before. sound is messed up.

i checked option to make sure all the volume bars are all the way up, hit "reset all",but i hear music, voice, and not shooting sound....does anybody have this problem???

i tried to play match, but since i don't here any shooting sound or grenade, it is just really hard to play.

so i deleted game data again to see if it'll do anything.

nothing.

tried on another ps3, still no shooting sound.

this is not just multi player, campaign is the same way.

Message 178 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Mar 23, 2012

Seriously, Arne I just want to play Uncharted 3, I've done everything even restore my PS3 and It won't work, I'm just asking for some help. I dont want to exchange it I just want to play the game. Mine does the thing were it trys to load, makes an eject sound tries to load and nothing.

XBL: PMS BlueJay
Message 179 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 24, 2012

Hey all, I just followed Arne's instructions and they worked. My game works again!

Here are the instructions again in case you missed 'em.

1.  Go to your PS3 XMB

2.  Scroll right until you get to the "Game" icon

3.  Scroll up to "Game Data Utility" and hit X.

4.  Scroll down to the Uncharted 3 icon, hit Triangle and select "Delete."  Do this for any/all Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 items. ONLY do this in the Game Data Utility screen - this will NOT delete your game saves. But it will require you do re-download all previously released patches.

5.  Then, insert your copy of U1 or U2, load up the game and wait until it gets all the way to the main menu (and possibly start a new game, let it make a save file and then quit out).

6. Once you've done all that, put in U3 and see if it clears up the spinning ring and you get to play.  I would go ahead an try this a few times just to be sure.

All I would add is you have to still go back to the Playstation Store and redownload your online pass (you don't have to re-purchase, just re-download).

Message 180 of 381 (277 Views)
0 Likes