Reply
Naughty Dog Developer
Registered: 09/24/2003
Offline
1660 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 17, 2012

We had been working with some folks via private message to work things out and hopefully give everyone some sort of update. It's been slow going and we didn't have anything new - so you weren't being ignored.  I also went on a work trip this week, so getting back to PMs have been slow.

It this happening to everyone if / after you have installed the PS3 FW 4.11 that was just released?

the SCEA QA team has reported to us that updating to the latest firmware has cleared up these issues. They've asked us to advise all everyone who has encountered this issue to update their firmware and try again.

Let us know if that is working or not for you.

Note: if you're having issues with the U3 disk being read, shutting down, or similar types of issues - that may be indicative of a hardware issue and you'll have to go to PlayStation Technical Support for that (in your specific region if you are outside of the US/Canada).  We're trying to be helpful however we can, but we definitely CANNOT troubleshoot hardware related issues.  That being said, we're still trying to see if we can figure out some common issues that may be related to HW so you're not left in the dark.

Message 91 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/17/2012
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 17, 2012

I have the same problem.  game plays for a little while after i reinstall patch 1.04.  than the sound/music dissappears and not all the animations work.  after this the i try to restart to get the spinning disc.  when i quit the game the playstation has to restart.  I have installed ps patch 4.11  have deleted all game data from the previous uncharted's and than reinstalled the uc3 patch and the game loads i start it and then the music dissapears again and so onnnnn.... 

Very frustrating.  i at level 20 on the second round.  It is a great game, but obvisouly it has been rushed to get the christmas sales, or ????

Please help i want to get the platnium trophy for this game. i am in australia, so i can;'t send you my ps3.

Mick

Message 92 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 11/09/2011
Offline
53 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 17, 2012

arne wrote:

Note: if you're having issues with the U3 disk being read, shutting down, or similar types of issues - that may be indicative of a hardware issue and you'll have to go to PlayStation Technical Support for that (in your specific region if you are outside of the US/Canada).  We're trying to be helpful however we can, but we definitely CANNOT troubleshoot hardware related issues.  That being said, we're still trying to see if we can figure out some common issues that may be related to HW so you're not left in the dark.

But if all other disks work and load I guess it's not hardware issue.

If all other games run fine and UC3 shuts unit down it also seems gamerelated - but may be due to UC3 run GPU harder or something. I don't know how PS3 unit responds to exceptions if they just shut unit down under some circumstances.

Message 93 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 11/10/2010
Offline
87 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 17, 2012

that's what i am trying to figure out why after the update my system just quit reading the disk.

   also i have been on the sony end of the forum there is a thread on this issue.

thanks for all your help

Message 94 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/15/2010
Offline
12 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 17, 2012

I deleted my save when I was on chapter 14-18...don't quite remeber the exact chapter. Deleting my save did not help. I also did a factory restore of my PS3 system which took many many hours. The game loaded after a long loading screen. I played through chapter 3 and suddenly the game started freezing AGAIN. I did not install the latest 1.04 patch, either. I'm currently (attempting) to play it unpatched, however; like I just stated, my game started freezing again. Like many others have stated, all other games work flawlessly on my PS3; UC3 is the exception. It's unfortunate, but ND seems to be going the way of "Oh, it's a hardware problem. That means we can wash our hands of it." Lovely.

Message 95 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/11/2012
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 17, 2012

Having the spinning ring problem.

I had been successfully playing UC3 without any problems when I bought it bundled with my system back around November. I had stopped on Chapter 8 (Abduction) about three weeks ago and taken a break until tonight.

When I loaded up the game it said patch 1.04 was available. Let it go through the download and install.

After this, loading my saved game resulted in the spinning ring stuck during the load process. The intro music cut out and the ring never went away.

I re-started my system once or twice, then checked to see if a PS3 system update was available. There was. I installed 4.11 then went back to UC3. No luck. Still same problem.

I then when through deleting the game data, and when that didn't worked my saved games thinking everything had become corrupted. For better or worse, I'll be starting over again. But upon reloading the game and re-applying the 1.04 patch, I still get the spinning ring icon when my only alternative is to begin a new game.

Essentially, the game is completely unplayable now until a fix is worked out.

UPDATE 2/17: The game is working again. I'm not sure what happened this time but I uninstalled the game data again, reinstalled the patch 1.04 when prompted, and now I'm able to start a new game again.

Message 96 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
Registered: 09/24/2003
Offline
1660 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 18, 2012

Alright - so it seems FW 4.11 hasn't cleared things up as much as the QA team had experienced.  We've let them know and they'll look at this some more next week after the holiday.

Another note - we've had 1 person (only 1) find success not having the spinning ring issue by turning off the auto-save feature and only saving the game manually.  This may be worth a try if you're willing to make sure you are dilligent with saving your game - we know how much it sucks not to have a save file for a while and losing progress, so be TOTALLY aware of that possibilty if you do turn off auto-saves.

We do have to be clear that this doesn't indicate an issue with the auto-save feature at all, but does appear to be the by-product of a bad sector on the PS3 HDD.

The only other way to check and solve this issue (if it was a bad sector) would be to make a full backup of your PS3 and reformat the HDD and restore that backup (which would give me the willies to do, in case I did something wrong and lost it all).

Message 97 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
Registered: 11/09/2011
Offline
53 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 18, 2012

#1. How come the 4.11 update did not provide a ordinary scandisc utility instead of going through that crap. It's quite obvious it's needed.

Why is not rebuild file system including this?

Scandisc finds bad sectors in clusters, tells which file it belongs to and can even put that file i recycle bin so you can reinstall whatever package it belonged too.

#2. How come bad sectors only apply to UC3 files?

Yes, it can be coincidence that a patch for UC3 includes a bad sector - but it would happend to a lot of other games too.

#3. When controller cannot find a sector or having bad crc on content it usually read a couple of turns of the disc for retries - but does not go into an endless loop and not letting users/gamers know what it's doing.

The progress bar or system with spinning ring should not be an operation in another thread - at least it should be connected to actual progress of an operation showing it's alive doing something. Then users will know in seconds that now it's frozen. It seems Sony too much is trying to hide bad things for users. Part of frustration is users not knowing to leave unit for an hour or just as well restart it right now.

#4. Wasn't the first reports from spinning ring already before any patch was out?

I may be mistaken but that's how I remember it.

So UC-series does not seem to install anything but is reading from BD so it would mean bad discs. That was the very first thing on Sony forum they claimed having ensured nothing was wrong with discs. That was the first feedback there was.

And a lot of gamers have posted they have switched discs at the shop 2-3 times as well.

Overall it seems the dog is barking up the wrong tree. Endless spinning ring seems to be something else....

arne wrote:

We do have to be clear that this doesn't indicate an issue with the auto-save feature at all, but does appear to be the by-product of a bad sector on the PS3 HDD.

The only other way to check and solve this issue (if it was a bad sector) would be to make a full backup of your PS3 and reformat the HDD and restore that backup (which would give me the willies to do, in case I did something wrong and lost it all).

Message 98 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 18, 2012

LariosoDog wrote:

So UC-series does not seem to install anything but is reading from BD so it would mean bad discs. That was the very first thing on Sony forum they claimed having ensured nothing was wrong with discs. That was the first feedback there was.

The game doesn't have a permanent HDD install, but it uses the HDD cache (2GB) to stream data from the BD-ROM on a constant basis.

The developers themselves have admitted (in an interview) that there was a bug which apparently caused too much fragmentation on HDDs... it was supposed to be fixed before the Gold master process.

Btw, I don't know if Arne is aware that some people have 4K sector HDDs which are not compatible with the XMB OS (it causes slow speeds/stuttering issues)... I don't think that ND can do anything about that, only Sony can release a new firmware to support new HDDs.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 99 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 11/09/2011
Offline
53 posts
 

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Feb 19, 2012

Thanks for explaining. It makes sense that HDD is involved somehow whatever you play.

But if a bad sector is part of where the cache works it would happen to any game you play - at one time or another - not just the UC3. I've seen a few single players post something about another game like MW2 and MW3 - otherwise it's UC3 that creates 98% of problems.

And it's a mystery to me that restore of file system does not go through and fix bad sectors as an option - and rename these files that contains bad stuff to something else keeping that sector away from be used.

But it's nice that ND in the end is looking into it together with Sony.

There was a poster in another thread here that claimed that ND explained somwhere else that they bypass cache streaming to load scenes more quickly. Have no idea whether there is any truth in this though. This could explain what UC3 is doing that hardly any other game does.

tapantaola wrote:

LariosoDog wrote:

So UC-series does not seem to install anything but is reading from BD so it would mean bad discs. That was the very first thing on Sony forum they claimed having ensured nothing was wrong with discs. That was the first feedback there was.

The game doesn't have a permanent HDD install, but it uses the HDD cache (2GB) to stream data from the BD-ROM on a constant basis.

The developers themselves have admitted (in an interview) that there was a bug which apparently caused too much fragmentation on HDDs... it was supposed to be fixed before the Gold master process.

Btw, I don't know if Arne is aware that some people have 4K sector HDDs which are not compatible with the XMB OS (it causes slow speeds/stuttering issues)... I don't think that ND can do anything about that, only Sony can release a new firmware to support new HDDs.

Message 100 of 376 (856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes