Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Splicer
53 posts

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Jan 30, 2012

Your comment makes sense for those that can just start another game before UC3 and then play UC3 again, and it works for them - at least temporary.

It does not add up to what Arne suggested - actually delete game data for old UC1 and UC2 and then reinstall them and play just to get it started. This makes perfect sense for those having specific problems running UC3 and probably are fans from earlier version UC1 and UC2 also and have these installed. It also makes sense for those that bought a new console bundled with UC3 and got problems once installing patch for UC3.

But since other gamers have succeded in getting rid of this problem just by reinstalling UC3 patches over and over until it works it seems like a general deeper problem somehow.

If it's true what is written in another thread the principals of reading BD-stream are bypassed to even quicker get data into memory one can sense that this could explain most strange behavior with UC3 and not other games. And this may also screw up cache system which might depend on regular readings. I don't know.

tapantaola wrote:

LariosoDog wrote:

Interesting - mixup of game data between UC versions.

Nope.

All PS3 games use a special partition of 2GB in the HDD to cache data from the Blu-Ray. That cache can become corrupted occasionally due to many reasons and loading another disc-based game clears the cache.

Falcharted 3 ™ - Among Falstitutes
Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jan 30, 2012

UC1/UC2 Game Data files are not related to UC3.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1660 posts

Jan 30, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

Arne, it's not necessary to delete the Game Data files, nor do you need UC1/UC2 discs.

Any PS3 game disc can clear the HDD game cache (2GB):

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/37347366#37347366

tapantaola wrote:

While you're correct on with you're additional information, we're asking folks to do really specific steps so we can troubleshoot properly in a controlled fashion/environment. We would appreciate it folks can stick to the steps we've outlined for now.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Jan 30, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

Well, that is what my comment was about - unintentional mixup between games might occur since Arne ask users to delete and reinstall these too.

Quite a few was helped with only playing another game, but Arne wants this specific steps now then - meaning it might be something strange going on between games.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 30, 2012

I tried the suggested solution by clearing the game data utility and put in UC2 in and started a new game then quit.  I then put UC3 in and at first it didn't work.  Then I insert the disc again and it worked the second time.  I then proceeded to play UC and get from chapter 1-10 without any problem. 

The problem was when I went to play it again today, it didn't load so I am guessing I'd have to repeat the process to get the game to load?  But at least I got to sample what is otherwise a brilliant game.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1660 posts

Jan 31, 2012

So when you say the problem came back today - you're getting the spinning ring and unable to advance?  Have you played any other games (or gone with U3 MP) since you did you run through chapters 1 through 10?

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 31, 2012

Hi, my name is scott im from connecticut. after the most recent patch i had the issue where my white connection bar would fill up all the way and my ps3 would freeze. about a week later the ssue fixed it'self. then when the new maps came out it started again then was fine. then about a week ago the game wouldn't load past the initial spinning ring. i thought maybe some data got corrupted so i deleted all the game data and reinstalled it. the game installed fine but i still got the eternal spinning ring. i was actually about to go today to buy a new copy as this is my absolute favorite game. but i thought ok well let me try this again. i got through to the game but then had the same issue logging in to multiplayer where the white bar would fill up and my ps3 would freeze. i believe i have the 120 gb slim ps3...all other games work fine. if theres any way you can give me a fix without my shipping it to you that would obviously be preffered. my e-mail is countrystorm3379@aol.com

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 31, 2012

The fault that re-occurred is the one where the disc doesn't register in the XMB. I tried the trick described whereby starting a new game in UC2 having cleared the game data utility for all UC games but then UC3 appeared to not work again. 

I have tried other games since and they worked perfectly well.  I have yet to try U3 MP as I'd rather finish the story mode first. 

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 2, 2012

Arne

I tried these steps 3 times and it did not work. To the contrary, it started doing something else even weirder in addition to the endless spinning ring. I can hear the disc drive trying to load/read the disc over and over.That wasn't happening before. The PS3 then becomes unresponsive to the controller or remote. So this actually doesn't seem to have helped in my case.

I have the original 60 GB PS3, the backwards compatible one. The model number on my PS3 is: CECH-A01

I was not experiencing the problem before the release of FW4.0 or the U3 Patch 1.03.

Please see my earlier post for more details:

Arne,

First. I have the original 60GB model PS3--the backwards compatible one. Unlike some on here, this game worked for me when I first bought it, which was release day. I played it only a little before the holidays and then put it aside until today. It worked flawlessly.

When I selected the game from the main menu to play today, it prompted me to download the U3 1.03 update. The update seemed to download fine, but then it went to the infinite spinning ring. When I try to quit the game, after waiting a long while, it gives me the double-beep error sound and either locks up the PS3 or kicks me back to the PS3 main menu while shutting down the controller. I already tried removing all U3 game data and save information, basically removing all traces of U3 from my PS3 and starting over. I still get stuck on the ever-spinning ring, this is whether I re-load the update or try to bypass it.

Other games and movies still play fine, so far. U3 played fine until this update. I don't recall when I updated to the PS3 firmware to 4.00, so I can't say for sure whether it is the firmware update, the U3 update, or a combination of both. But I do know that the game is entirely unplyable for me, and it wasn't when I first bought it. The disc is not damaged, the PS3 works fine otherwise and I have not altered it in any way.

Needless to say this is very frustrating for me as a user and a big fan of the franchise. This franchise is the main reason I have a PS3. In all my years as a gamer I have never been unable to play a game I purchased. I feel like the value of the game is decreased because even if you fix this later, my enjoyment factor is negatively impacted already. Something Sony or ND has done has made the product unuseable. If you want to use my PS3 to try and figure out the problem, I will offer that. But I will also say that these circumstances make me feel like game value has already been lost, and it would be wise of ND/Sony to make amends beyond fixing something that should not be broken in the first place.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Feb 2, 2012

hi listen closely to your system while it trys to load the disk is the sound the drive makes differnt?

than when loading other disks that show up on xmb? this is the case with my system

will someone please respond to this issue sony  we are not alone>

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 368 (1,144 Views)
0 Likes