Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Naughty Dog Developer
1660 posts

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Jan 19, 2012

Actually people aren't exactly throwing themselves to send systems at us.  I have 3 or 4 volunteers at best, and of those, two we're first trying to troubleshoot via PM (which I'm waiting to hear back on) before we move forward. Like everything else, we have to take it step by step.

Everybody has different issues (remember there's three issues in the subject line alone) and they may or may not be related. We're not going to take anyone's system unless we have to if we've made findings otherwise. I'll keep everyone updated.

About the shipping - everybody loves to sue big companies for a ton of things, and we're part of a big company. And people love to sue Sony. Unfortunately that means doing some things starts to add a ton of red tape and process that is unavoidable. It's not a reflection on our community, but rather that's just how things are, for better or for worse. It's definitely not a quick process, and sometimes it hasn't been fun with how long it takes - our Uncharted - the reveal part 2 video has been a victim of this, for example.

apemanlola wrote:

Arne, you must be joking. You're "evaluating" options based on forum posts? Your post couldn't work any harder at leading me to believe ND was more inefficient. You're wasting time, delaying the inevitable, and running in circles. And treating us like morons (as your post above indicates is how you regard the rest of us plebs) isn't working in your favor. Every major national delivery service offers a bevy of shipping insurance options. Send us a box fitted with styrofoam and a shipping label. The end. People are throwing their systems at you, why pick just one? Take as many as you can get, man! How hard is it to have your legal dept. or PR dept. draft up a release? These are things most companies (big and small) do on an hourly - nay, minute to minute - basis. You are a business. And a successful one at that! For the love of all that is good, start acting like one. You're not some start-up working out of your mum's garage. Bottom line: deciding which one system is "the best first pick" (which is beyond silly) isn't a problem unto itself - it's the seemingly roundabout way ND has desinged its entire cope-with-an-increasingly-angry-consumer-base process. You're just adding to, what appears to be, an already complicated mess. I just hope it's not in an effort to overcomplicate it to the point where you can deem it "unsolvable" and ignore it completely.

I have to believe you're working on the laundry list of tech problems highlighted in these forums, because to believe you're not would be pointless. We just want to play your game, man, because we love it. But personally, I'm totally done with you folks. On these forums, and as a consumer. Never buying another product.

No response needed. Faith lost.

For the one guy who ends up sending his system in, if you read this, thank you. Apparently it was a real brain teaser figuring out how to pick you, but somehow, by some miracle of logic and deduction, they settled on you. You've done us an invaluable service. Here's to hoping they treat you (and, by proxy, the rest of us) right.

Message 11 of 368 (1,620 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 19, 2012

everybody loves to sue big companies for a ton of things, and we're part of a big company. And people love to sue Sony.

Lmao. You mean like, for shipping an unplayable game, charging their fans $60 for it, and then chasing after their own tails while those same fans are forced to use their games as paper weights?

In what other industry is this possible?

None. The correct answer is, in no other industry is this possible. The worst part is, there's nothing a good number of us can do with our opened games, especially if they were given as Christmas gifts.

I will give you credit for one thing, though, Arne: you can sling it with the best of 'em. And the game does look real purdy sitting there on my shelf.

Regardless, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on all of your threads now, just to see where in the sweet jebus you take this whole thing. (And maybe to observe the hilarious levels ND and Sony keep taking the word "inept." Without even trying, no less.) Based on this thread alone, it should be something.

And as a side note, if anyone with any problem related to this game has had any kind of positive reaction/response/experience to/from/with ND or Sony, I'd love to hear about it. It would honestly make me feel a whole lot better, as this thread has been the opposite of confidence inspiring.

And back to the point: I'm truly - from the bottom of my heart - hoping you guys manage to dig yourselves out of this one. For everyone's sake. After all, we just want to play the dang game we paid for.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

Message 12 of 368 (1,620 Views)
Splicer
53 posts

Jan 19, 2012

arne wrote:

Actually people aren't exactly throwing themselves to send systems at us.  I have 3 or 4 volunteers at best, and of those, two we're first trying to troubleshoot via PM (which I'm waiting to hear back on) before we move forward. Like everything else, we have to take it step by step.

Everybody has different issues (remember there's three issues in the subject line alone) and they may or may not be related. We're not going to take anyone's system unless we have to if we've made findings otherwise. I'll keep everyone updated.

About the shipping - everybody loves to sue big companies for a ton of things, and we're part of a big company. And people love to sue Sony. Unfortunately that means doing some things starts to add a ton of red tape and process that is unavoidable. It's not a reflection on our community, but rather that's just how things are, for better or for worse. It's definitely not a quick process, and sometimes it hasn't been fun with how long it takes - our Uncharted - the reveal part 2 video has been a victim of this, for example.

Make it worthwhile for people and offer and brand new PS3 unit as replacement for users to keep. There is a very small percentage that find their way here I would say.

User perspective is that all other games work just fine - we continue play those until this is resolved.

If you invest a little more than your coffee-money to resolve whatever is going on that is a small cost compared to what this rumour does to your future success. Even Sony should be on their toes to get this fixed.

Me for one am not buying UC3 or anything else ND before this is officially acknowledges and resolved. I have bought Drakes fortune and Among thieves and play those before going further.

I stopped buying PS3 games alltogether since this was known. Some strange stuff is introduced in later firmware by Sony that's for sure.

If Wii U arrives before this is resolved I'm switching. I bought a console and not a PC to get troublefree gaming. To me it seems that Sony is trying make use of PS3 unit for all kinds of stuff that is of no interest for me - and it seems to screw up the unit - I don't know.

This fishing for a troubleshooting unit though is a really nice initiative from you ND.

Best regards

p.s. my dads name is Arne.

Message 13 of 368 (1,620 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 20, 2012

I've not yet been able to even get UN3 to load.  Have tried 3 different disks.

Message 14 of 368 (1,620 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1660 posts

Jan 21, 2012

Check your private messages.

ColdShot67 wrote:

I've not yet been able to even get UN3 to load.  Have tried 3 different disks.

Message 15 of 368 (1,620 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 21, 2012

i was playing u3..turned it off...about an hour later turned it back on and installed the update. it doesn't load past the spinning ring.i've deleted all game data and tried again to no avail. every other game works fine. i've written multiple emails to your "company" with no reply. thanks allot for the 65$ paper weight. and for not addressing this publicly. try a google search...this isn't a small problem. you have a ton of unhappy customers. i am done with naughty dog.

Message 16 of 368 (1,619 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jan 21, 2012

Hi arne i have also now had 3 different game discs and hadn't encountered any issues until the 1.03 update dropped.. i have a european slim 120 gb machine and have had no issue with any other game disc at all. As a UK resident i don't see me sending my unit as an option but i would very much appreciate any help or advice on the topic as its been very difficult to come by!! I was at least satisfied to find other users in a similar situation as this means its not just me..but i am acheing to play this and all i managed was 2 days play on campaign mode..then the spinning ring issue began

Many thanks in advance Arne

Raa

Message 17 of 368 (1,619 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jan 21, 2012

I would just like to add that after scouring through other forums on similar issues it seems as though Uncharted 3 is possibly..POSSIBLY responsible for many peoples PS3 machines becoming so corrupted that they stop working altogether.. and for the pages and pages of fans comments there are a meagre amount of responses to peoples issues..not even a general update to tell people where they stand seems to be bad customer service to me IMO..

sony tell me to buy a new machine..ND tell me nothing thus far..

so you have a possible machine breaking error with thousands upon thousands of complaints running from the release date to now and yet clearly there is no fix or workaround AT ALL!!? and the error code i have been getting since the issue means according to Sony i need a new machine!!!!?

so i buy a game..

the updates corrupt my machine..

U3 is unplayable..

my ps3 stops running ALL game discs subsequently..

THE ANSWER!!

buy a new machine!!??

hold on..ME SPEND MORE MONEY??

what did i do besides decide i had to play the best game ever to be released on the ps3???

as you can tell i'm more than a little annoyed now.... would you feel obliged to buy a whole new system after someone elses product destroyed your machines HDD????

Message 18 of 368 (1,619 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 22, 2012

Hey, here's a thought about your post. You said we have to be in the United States to send our ps3 in for testing and then you didn't get many responses. Maybe there are not a bunch of systems going bad in the United States and it some weird region code/ bug that affects the rest of the world? I'm in Canada and UC3 bricked my HD and have replaced the HD but the game still sticks on the first cuts scene in the early level when drake is a kid. The game is unplayable. I have already spent a bunch of dough to replace the drive. My disc works on other systems ok and all other games work fine. I've posted and tweeted but no solutions. Can't ND roll out a backwards patch for people so we can at least play the game? even just a single player patch would be nice. 

cheers.

Message 19 of 368 (1,619 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 23, 2012

When I started playing Uncharted 3 the sound would cut out occasionally.  It got worse the further I progressed.  Finally it got to the point where it was cutting out constantly, even during cut scenes.  I have tried several other games and this is the only one with this problem.  I have the slim 160 gig model that was part of the holiday bundle this year.  It has the original hard drive.  I live in the US in Tennessee and am willing to send in my system if it will help.

Message 20 of 368 (1,619 Views)
0 Likes