Jan 10 2012
By: arne Naughty Dog Developer 1655 posts

Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

367 replies 10561 views Edited Jan 10, 2012

If you're having any of these issues we've listed above on a CONSISTENT basis - we may be interested in actually getting your PS3 into our studio to see if we can troubleshoot this some more.  I know that's a lot to ask, but that's where we are at to be able to investigate further -- you'll definitely need to be in the United States to be considered.

One thing to note - if you are having a disk not reading or not showing up in your XMB for Uncharted 3 AND other games - then it's likely you'll want your hardware looked at by technical support.  If you're ONLY getting this for Uncharted 3, then let's talk.

Let's get the discussion rolling by getting people in the US, who have these issues, posting (again) in this thread with exactly what your problem is, what HW you are using (which PS3, phat/slim, 60gb/160gb/etc.).  AND please ONLY post if you are willing to consider shipping your unit off to us. Can you let us know what state you are located in as well?

We'll contact folks individually via PM after we get this rolling.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 368 (10,561 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Jan 10, 2012

Hey Arne, I'm in WI and been a big fan of the UC series.  I've had this problem as of late.  Shoot me a PM and I'll give you details.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 368 (10,561 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1655 posts

Jan 10, 2012

No one else? Really?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 368 (10,561 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 10, 2012

Arne, I'd be glad to send my machine in. It's an 80gb Fat. I live in northern California. My game plays anywhere from 5 to 40 minutes in single player before shutting down the PS3 (multiple beeps, flashing red light). I havent' tried multiplayer yet (not a big MP guy). I've had this problem with one other game, and that was L.A. Noire, which received many similar tech complaints as Uncharted 3 that still go completely unadressed by Rockstar/Sony. I have about 25 other games, many of which are dual layer BDs, and they all play fine for hours. Feel free to PM me for additional info/details.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 368 (10,561 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1399 posts

Jan 11, 2012

Arne I really think you should post this in General or Multiplayer section to get as much feedback as possible, nobody ever checks this section.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 368 (10,561 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 11, 2012

Arne, my name is cameron i live in stockton, ca.  I have the fat ps3 80 gb. i am having this problem. during single player play i cant get past caravan for the life of me, well let me rephrase that during caravan there is a glitch i cant overcome where the screen just turns black if i make it that far but usually the cars start flying and the sand turns grey before that but if i get past there then after that there is the part where i hand sully off to salim and then wrestle that guy on the truck then right after im back on horse pitch black screen spinning disk and its stuck from there on and also during multiplayer i freeze and have to turn ps3 system off and restart. i have no problem sending in my system it will suck going without as i dont have extra but at same time i think its awesome to help out naughty dog / uncharted 3 as its by far my favorite game.

Cameron Farrens
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 368 (10,561 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 17, 2012

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have yet to hear from Arne or anyone else regarding sending my system in.

Arne, what's the point of posting a request like this if you 1) don't check the replies, or 2) don't plan on following through? Don't you get how this makes you and ND look? You have three people here willing to send their systems in, all of whom replied to you within DAYS of your post, over a week ago. Don't you get it? We WANT to help. What gives?

Considering how thoughtless this whole thing has been, I kind of don't even want to send you my system now. There is a serious communication breakdown occuring between ND and their fans. Who knows what you guys would be like once you actually got my system. Based on your display here, I'm inclined to believe I might never hear from you again.

I get it, you're busy pushing the DLC out, making as much money as you can off the very consumers you continue to spurn. Hopefully, once it's out, maybe, if you feel like it, you'll get back to us about fixing the game some of us bought but can't even play.

What a joke.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 368 (10,561 Views)
Naughty Dog Developer
1655 posts

Jan 18, 2012

Please be patient, this isn't an easy process because we're asking to have a system sent in to us - we have to evaluate which one is going to be the best first pick, and there's some logistics to work out so we (the chosen community member(s) and ourselves) are covered in case anything goes wrong.  We can't control the shipping companies for example. 

But we haven't forgotten and we haven't stopped working on this (except for MLK day yesterday, when we weren't in the studio).

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 368 (10,561 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 18, 2012

Arne, you must be joking. You're "evaluating" options based on forum posts? Your post couldn't work any harder at leading me to believe ND was more inefficient. You're wasting time, delaying the inevitable, and running in circles. And treating us like morons (as your post above indicates is how you regard the rest of us plebs) isn't working in your favor. Every major national delivery service offers a bevy of shipping insurance options. Send us a box fitted with styrofoam and a shipping label. The end. People are throwing their systems at you, why pick just one? Take as many as you can get, man! How hard is it to have your legal dept. or PR dept. draft up a release? These are things most companies (big and small) do on an hourly - nay, minute to minute - basis. You are a business. And a successful one at that! For the love of all that is good, start acting like one. You're not some start-up working out of your mum's garage. Bottom line: deciding which one system is "the best first pick" (which is beyond silly) isn't a problem unto itself - it's the seemingly roundabout way ND has desinged its entire cope-with-an-increasingly-angry-consumer-base process. You're just adding to, what appears to be, an already complicated mess. I just hope it's not in an effort to overcomplicate it to the point where you can deem it "unsolvable" and ignore it completely.

I have to believe you're working on the laundry list of tech problems highlighted in these forums, because to believe you're not would be pointless. We just want to play your game, man, because we love it. But personally, I'm totally done with you folks. On these forums, and as a consumer. Never buying another product.

No response needed. Faith lost.

For the one guy who ends up sending his system in, if you read this, thank you. Apparently it was a real brain teaser figuring out how to pick you, but somehow, by some miracle of logic and deduction, they settled on you. You've done us an invaluable service. Here's to hoping they treat you (and, by proxy, the rest of us) right.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 368 (10,559 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 18, 2012

I have same issue.

When I started the game for the first time I got spinning ring before Naughty Dog Logo.

I had then just updated tthe game.

I let the game sit there for like 10 minutes and finally the start screen came up. I thought the game might be installing to the harddrive or something but the HDD light was not flashing....

I then tried to start a new game and I got spinning ring and I waited for a few minutes before force resetting the system (close game -> lead to system shutting it self down).

I took out the disc and removed a finger print and then it started ok and I played for an hour without problems.

I haven't tried again after that.

I have the original old FAT 60GB model.

Seems to be something seriously wrong with the discs? It not just for some people, seems ALOT of people have this issue. Imagine how many have this problem that do not post here.....

Never had something similar happen in ANY other game before so this game seems fucked up.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 368 (10,559 Views)
0 Likes