Apr 19 2011
By: Alpha-Male22 Uncharted Territory 1441 posts

Please Don't Axe Pick-up-Weapons for Custom Classes!

10 replies 157 views Edited Apr 19, 2011

Naughty Dog, I've always loved your MP for UC2. Considering the lack of experience I was blown away.

You did one thing no PS3 MP game did and that was focus on an arena MP game (as opposed to class based/big games like Resistance and Killzone)

IMO this is the road to COD-like success (in terms of appealing to masses) that Sony tries so hard to do with games like Killzone. Yet I also think Uncharted retains modesty in its simplicity and focus on core gameplay mechanics: traversing, shooting, and cover.

UC3 is doing everything right to be a fun game:

-arena shooter

-tons of depth

-Youtube/Theater mode

-split screen

-Multiplayer mode variety

However, I have to ask, with the introduction of class slots, what's going to happen to the MP style where you all start with the same weapon and have to hunt for weapons on the map? IMO this was much more balanced and required players to actively move around the map. It gave reason to platform to the top of a building just to get that sniper rifle.

With custom classes people can spawn with whatever they want and it feels unoriginal. I loved how set weapons in UC2 all had the right balance and how people had to fight for territory. That game emphasized good teamwork in this regard because the best team had to dominate the map in order to win.

I'm fine with things like Power Play, I think it's a refreshing thing for Arena shooters, but I hate how custom classes are being brought in.

UC2 was more like Halo and older arena shooters in terms of gameplay and I hate to think that this is going to be removed for a more typical system.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Message 8 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Lol, I have complained about this as well.. I have looked...

Apr 18, 2011

Lol, I have complained about this as well.. I have looked at the video over and over, I was hoping the class thing was just co-op, but I have yet to see a weapon spawn... Unforunately, because it really does change the gameplay of the game. RFoM did the same thing when it went to R2.

No matter what we do, the success of CoD is going to ruin our games.

Message 1 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1919 posts

They're not.   "(Yes, you can still pick up weapons...

Apr 18, 2011

They're not.

"(Yes, you can still pick up weapons dropped by foes or nestled in certain spots on maps, but you may want to pick up better modded guns for a tactical advantage.)" 

http://ca.kotaku.com/5792872/hands-on-with-uncharted-3s-three-team-deathmatch-and-free-for-all-killf...

Photobucket
Message 2 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1441 posts

@Pdizzle Im looking at the boosters and apparently power...

Apr 18, 2011

@Pdizzle

Im looking at the boosters and apparently power weapons will at least be laid around the map... But I still dont know if I like the sound of choosing whatever weapon u want to spawn with, it just changes the game completely

Message 3 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
730 posts

well said

Apr 18, 2011

Alpha-Male22 wrote:

Naughty Dog, I've always loved your MP for UC2. Considering the lack of experience I was blown away.

You did one thing no PS3 MP game did and that was focus on an arena MP game (as opposed to class based/big games like Resistance and Killzone)

IMO this is the road to COD-like success (in terms of appealing to masses) that Sony tries so hard to do with games like Killzone. Yet I also think Uncharted retains modesty in its simplicity and focus on core gameplay mechanics: traversing, shooting, and cover.

-arena shooter

-tons of depth

-Youtube/Theater mode

-split screen

However, I have to ask, with the introduction of class slots, what's going to happen to the MP style where you all start with the same weapon and have to hunt for weapons on the map? IMO this was much more balanced and required players to actively move around the map. It gave reason to platform to the top of a building just to get that sniper rifle.

With custom classes people can spawn with whatever they want and it feels unoriginal. I loved how set weapons in UC2 all had the right balance and how people had to fight for territory. That game emphasized good teamwork in this regard because the best team had to dominate the map in order to win.

I'm fine with things like Power Play, I think it's a refreshing thing for Arena shooters, but I hate how custom classes are being brought in.

UC2 was more like Halo and older arena shooters in terms of gameplay and I hate to think that this is going to be removed for a more typical system

kudos and well said I couldn't agree more, ND says they want to compete with the "big boys" aka as we all know Call of Duty, so many franchises have tried and failed whilst all trying to take aspects from the CoD game. Halo is probably the only game out there which hasn't done that and kept its uniqueness. I can hardly recognize UC2 to UC3, I'm pretty sure UC3 Mp is going to be a whole different ball game than UC2, weve got running, customizable weapons, more cinematics and character customization. As much as I doubt the success of weapons customization I will give it a try. But really what is actually left of the UC2 Mp I mean having the sprint function chages it all. Trust me when you hear this game is not going to have as long as lifespan as UC2 did and the support of players its getting right now. I look at UC3 and I see as the end of the road for the franchise not just because of the Mp but because I can't see what more they can deliver in the future. UC3 right now doesnt appear to have an identity as a unique shooter, UC2 was like no other experience I've had in a game and it was different. All you people can say that it aint call of duty but the only reason ND is doing this is to actually compete against CoD. Plus we have all of a sudden the dudes who think they know whats good for the mp just by playing the uc2 mp for 10sec they know it all. 

Message 4 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3011 posts

This game seems like a combo of cod (the boosters) and so...

Apr 18, 2011

This game seems like a combo of cod (the boosters) and socom (the loadouts), but it will still have the U2 twist.  But... wait till the beta.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - teffyz
Message 5 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
653 posts

Only one?

Apr 18, 2011

Am I the only one with no complaints at all?? I am just soo happy with everything revealed until now,, Although when uncharted 2 came out my friend -who is a CoD worshipper- was all like: it would have been 451253156 times better if it had weapons and skins customizations.. and I was like: hell no that would be hideous! This is uncharted not CoD!..

But today when I woke up and watched every thing I was like

WOAH split screen.. AWESOME!

WOAH weapons and skins customization.. COOL!

WOAH side kicks.. AWESOME!

WOAH Body system.. COOL!

etc

etc

etc

I was never.. not even once like.. **bleep**?? *put something u don't like here*!

I loved everything.. and I am happy with that :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Message 6 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

I love every word you say.  Everyone who reads this threa...

Apr 18, 2011

Alpha-Male22 wrote:

-arena shooter

-tons of depth

-Youtube/Theater mode

-split screen

UC2 was more like Halo and older arena shooters in terms of gameplay and I hate to think that this is going to be removed for a more typical system

I love every word you say.  Everyone who reads this thread, kudo the OP.  I didnt know that the next game had custom classes till Dai told me.  I flipped out. 

Uncharted 2 was good for its originality.  If I wanted to go play CoD I would just go shell out $60 for a $20 game. 

There's a lot of strategy and a lot of fun to uncharted 2's game play style. 

Im sure U3 has its ups and downs now but all in all I feel like I'll want to migrate back to U2.

Message 7 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

PICKING UP WEAPONS WAS NOT BALENCED AT ALL!

Apr 19, 2011

IT WAS ANNOYING! Firstly many new players gave up on the game because they were stuck with a crappy gun and were getting noob tubed! if anythin naughy dog needs to learn how to reduce the advantage that ranked players have over new players by equalizing the playing field... and weapon pick ups are not good for that...

Message 9 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
831 posts

You have weapons on the ground and customization.

Apr 19, 2011

You have weapons on the ground and customization.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - RomoToCrayton09
Message 10 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes