Highlighted
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

It's not so much that UC3 was rushed as ND was overly ambitious within development time they had. They tried to pack the feature list on the back of the box instead of polish the core game and do a few new things well. That mentality resulted in one of the most broken MP games I've ever played at launch. In comparison, UC2 was near perfect at launch ironically.

UC3's MP was full of interesting ideas that were -- at best -- executed poorly. Half baked customization (including the laughable emblem system), broken matchmaking, unbalanced weapons, the list goes on. Oh and I forgot to mention the two beta's that were massive failures for numerous reasons.

Sure now 10 months after release many of the problems are fixed or at least improved, but that hardly justifies how UC3 was handled.

And non of this is even counting the massive failure that was the SP story.

Who knows the exact reason(s), perhaps ND thought they could do no wrong coming off the near-perfect UC2, maybe Sony put pressure on them, or possibly it was the new development team that fumbled along the way. In the end it doesn't really matter, all we can hope is that ND recognizes what they did wrong and won't make the same mistakes with the next Uncharted.

Message 21 of 69 (466 Views)
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Sep 28, 2012

I thought that the single player and the story were pretty good...

right up until they went to Syria. Then everything just fell apart despite the AWESOME Cruise Ship setpiece and pony-riding.

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 22 of 69 (446 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 28, 2012

tripleWRECK wrote:

It's not so much that UC3 was rushed as ND was overly ambitious within development time they had. They tried to pack the feature list on the back of the box instead of polish the core game and do a few new things well. That mentality resulted in one of the most broken MP games I've ever played at launch. In comparison, UC2 was near perfect at launch ironically.

UC3 was full of ideas that were, at best, executed poorly. Half baked customization (including the laughable emblem system), broken matchmaking, unbalanced weapons, the list goes on. Oh and I forgot to mention the two beta's that were massive failures for numerous reasons.

Sure now 10 months after release many of the problems are fixed or at least improved, but that hardly justifies how UC3 was handled.

And non of this is even counting the massive failure that was the SP story.

Who knows the exact reason(s), perhaps ND thought they could do no wrong coming off the near-perfect UC2, maybe Sony put pressure on them, or possibly it was the new development team that fumbled along the way. In the end it doesn't really matter, all we can hope is that ND recognizes what they did wrong and won't make the same mistakes with the next Uncharted.

You tell em how it is bro. 

Message 23 of 69 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

Well, if this game had a 3 year development cycle, then it would have topped Uncharted 2 MP and SP wise, and by far. The reason it like this is because the game had so much potential and idea, but were sadly executed poorly.

First, the SP. the story of Nate and who he actually is could have led to a better overall story than UC2, but sadly was rushed and had a lot of unexplained plot  holes. Not to mention the set pieces that had no relevance whatsoever to the story, even though they were cool. Oh, and the aiming at launch, was a joke and very unsatisfying, and replay value was non existant due to the removal of the store. Still, the SP was good, but didn't live up to its potential nor UC2.

MP, the new features weren't actually bad at all, it was just the way they were handled. If ND have actually increased the medal cost of offensive kickbacks significantly, as to make them a challenge to earn(the way the were supposed to be ) we wouldn't have a lot of kickback spamming. Powerplays, well Marked  Man and Double Damage could have been much better for example. The  treasure system, another good potential addition, was sadly handled poorly, just like the brand new tournament and customization.  As for the guns, I just want to know who's idea was it to add ROF mods and an unaimable weapon  to multiplayer. Most of the guns had to be nerfed due to lack of testing, and 10 months after release we still have a few gun imbalances.  Hardcore, which was supposed to appeal to he hardcore fans, sucked so bad. Classic mode should have been there since release. Still, the MP was fun, thought it wasn't very competiitive, and ironically I enjoyed it more than UC2, but that doesn't deny the fact that it could have been much more. 

The support by ND is in fact much better now than in UC2, which is appreciated .

Hopefully, UC4 balances out all new features introduced with this title, and a fantastic SP

Message 24 of 69 (406 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
787 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

Rushed is one word to use for it. Now obviously every Uncharted fan at this point knows about the Last Of Us. Uncharted wasn't neccessarily rushed, I mean Uncharted 2 came out quite a while back so they've had quite a large chunk of time to work on it. It's just the fact they split the team up in two, one side filled with their best to work on TLOU, the others (Not so great) were left to work on Uncharted 3. That's why it wasn't as incredible as Uncharted 2, so many creative minds were absent during the production. It was still a half-decent game, setting aside the plot-holes (Where Charlie and Chloe ended up, Elena's ties with Charlie Cutter, Cutter's past, Marlowe mentioning Drake's "false name") and extremely faulty multiplayer, that is.

I enjoyed it but I'm pretty upset with Naughty Dog for bringing the Uncharted name down a few notches - TLOU will surely live up to the expectations, if not exceed them

Message 25 of 69 (386 Views)
Fender Bender
3622 posts

Sep 28, 2012

thelegendaryD wrote:

renatabls wrote:

thelegendaryD wrote:
  • The increase in health

It's a good thing...

thelegendaryD wrote:

You're focusing too much on the single player instead of the multiplayer. 

Uncharted is known for its singleplayer anyway, so they might as well improve what they're known for.

But still, the SP wasn't as good as U2's by any means, it looked kinda rushed, as for the MP... it's a complete mess, sure there were nice additions to the game, like sprint, buddy system, TO instead of Chain Reaction, also treasure system and Power Plays.

Yes, treasure system and Power Plays were a very nice idea indeed, ND just didn't plan it well, they could have came up with anything... but Double Damage was their choice... also infinite duplicates... Smiley Indifferent

If they had people in their team that actually played the **bleep** game, they'd know what to fix and how to fix.

The increase in health loses the "original feel" to Uncharted 2 veterans. Also, there is absolutely no point in putting a multiplayer In a game if you're not going to spend any decent amounts of time on it. 

Its simple logic, and Naughty Dog is trying too hard to ignore it.

And here I was, thinking that the uncharted 2 launched with high "original" health. -_-

Do you feel me?

Message 26 of 69 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Sep 28, 2012

I honestly thought people complained about UC2's patch that made health so low so that everyone's main weapon is a pistol (if you still play, you should still know this).

Also, I thought it's general knowledge to know that UC3 is rushed. Regarding focus on singleplayer, it has no treasure-hunting focus (what the hell is Uncharted? Stupid ring escapade series? Don't think so.), it has what looks to be Michael Bay-like story (is the focus exploding stuff? Really? Uncharted 1, 2, even GA know it's not), and, get this, it lacks what made SP replayable: BONUS CONTENT (why, ND? Did you not know what made your UC2 game still sell up to now?)

Regarding MP, even from the beta it's broken. The guns are ridiculously OP, and nerfing it brings up even more problems than it fixes (FAL nerf was okay, G-MAL nerf gave rise to blindfire, and made people realize Para 9's OPness), all its revolutionary ideas are only done halfway (customization, **bleep** emblems, etc), and the game map is glitchy (there's a couple videos here showing glitches). Let's not forget stat-boosting in 3TDM, killfarming, lagswitching, lagging in general, etc.

I believe that UC3 is some sidetracked idea they decided to launch to shut up UC2 players while they work on TLoU. I'm not saying their idea worked well- we're complaining, aren't we?

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 27 of 69 (375 Views)
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

The sprint was a great add to the game. It´s also nice you can side kick someone off and get a kick off from cover. Yay good job.

The game is pretty much glitch free. Kudos.

Other than that, the mechanics of the game is very inferior to Uncharted 2´s, specially the aiming system. Pointless guns like the KAL and the tau sniper don´t make things any better.

The graphics both in the single and multiplayer are inferior to Uncharted 2´s, so is the story line and dialogues.

The treasure system was a good idea on paper, but man they screwed that one up. It´s the worst executed idea in the entire game. Duplicate treasures shouldn´t exist. Rare treasures should never drop by chance and chance only. Treasure drop should be like 1 rare treasure for every 2 games or something like that, if there was no duplicate people would have all treasures in a reasonable amount of time.

Icing on the cake? 2 silver trophies based on chance.

Message 28 of 69 (363 Views)
Fender Bender
4134 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

Sony wanted the game out by a certain date, ND received. Hopefully Sony learned from there mistake 

that and they were working with less people because of last of us 

-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Message 29 of 69 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7079 posts

Sep 28, 2012

oh man, I could just imagine how amazing the game would be if it wasn't rushed.

-If Cutter wasn't written out

-If the villians had more story and character

-If the ending was unique and not a Copy&Paste of UC2

-If there were bonus features like the last two

If the story was fully unique and looked like it was actually done, I would replay it numerous times even without the bonus features.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 30 of 69 (320 Views)
0 Likes