Highlighted
Feb 05 2013
By: AliMakaveli Treasure Hunter 3721 posts

Multiplayer Induction/Trial Mode

[ Edited ]
10 replies 347 views Edited Feb 5, 2013

I think for future ND games we definitely need a trial/induction mode before ANY of us touches the Multiplayer segment of a game.

The kickback lady will be our guide/mentor and will tell us things like press L1 to aim, press triangle to pick up the Idol, yadda yadda yadda...

Everyone will start thier induction/trial in a massive STAGE where there are various segments that contain all multiplayer mode samples.

This way noobs can know the objectives and also learn the basics for each mode. Co-op and Competetive alike.

The kickback lady will give out tips and info on each item and what they mean.

You bascially have to pass/complete this induction before you can TOUCH the Multiplayer segment.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 11 (347 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7268 posts

Re: Multiplayer Induction/Trial Mode

Feb 5, 2013

seems like a waste of time for people who already know what to do. And the controls should be a given if you played the single-player first like most people do. Also the information about objective modes can easily be given somewhere else in a couple words. In fact the tips that are automatically enabled for people are actually enough in my eyes. Just elaborate those a bit more for objective modes and you should be good.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 2 of 11 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
381 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Great idea, but you are too positive about the Uncharted 3 players, they wouldn't be able to finish it, even with the best support in the world... and that would have a negative impact on the player pool.

Besides that, you must think about the multiplayer design team, what their intentions are.

And that video just shows why Uncharted 3 is what it is, and nothing will change that.

Naughty Dog isn't in like flynn for making Uncharted 3 a skill requiring game, no they wan't it to appeal to the big crowd, the casuals, the one day flies, we can only hope they notice soon enough...

*I do not take credit for that video, it has been used before by other forumers.*

Message 3 of 11 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Feb 5, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

seems like a waste of time for people who already know what to do. And the controls should be a given if you played the single-player first like most people do. Also the information about objective modes can easily be given somewhere else in a couple words. In fact the tips that are automatically enabled for people are actually enough in my eyes. Just elaborate those a bit more for objective modes and you should be good.

Even though we do have tips, people can't be bothered to read them and have that "this isn't a library, this is a game, so let me play aready" mentality.

There are many of us who already know how to play, so flying through this trial/induction mode shouldn't be a problem really. 

Message 4 of 11 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1351 posts

Feb 5, 2013
They should definitely include this option. Make it so when you enter the Multiplayer for the first time, it says "Playing the tutorial is highly recommended. Start the tutorial now?"

Of course ND would also like this, as COD has a similar message.
;D
Message 5 of 11 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Feb 5, 2013
Nice idea!
I totally agree to your proposal. A few days ago i had to send a message in game to a newbie how to let off the idol. He pressed every button exept triangle and didn't know how to throw as well.
Message 6 of 11 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7268 posts

Feb 5, 2013

forced tutorials are horrible in my opinion. Like I said, single-player should deliver the how to on playing mostly. Besides the objectives, a player should learn the controls and mechanics along with finding out triangle is the "pick-up" button.

This game isn't exactly rocket science, and I know some new players are below dumb when playing the game, but forced tutorials aren't much help. Chances are it will already teach the basics, and since it would be in multiplayer, it will barely help most people and won't teach them how to play. Since they would most likely still be swamped by the higher levels. Personal experience >> tutorials anyday for me, that goes even more strongly for multiplayer parts of the game.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 7 of 11 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2477 posts

Feb 5, 2013

I completely agree. There should be SOME sort of tutorial, so I could get on board with what you said.

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 8 of 11 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 5, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

forced tutorials are horrible in my opinion. Like I said, single-player should deliver the how to on playing mostly. Besides the objectives, a player should learn the controls and mechanics along with finding out triangle is the "pick-up" button.

This game isn't exactly rocket science, and I know some new players are below dumb when playing the game, but forced tutorials aren't much help. Chances are it will already teach the basics, and since it would be in multiplayer, it will barely help most people and won't teach them how to play. Since they would most likely still be swamped by the higher levels. Personal experience >> tutorials anyday for me, that goes even more strongly for multiplayer parts of the game.

Maybe you could skip the tutorial if you have platinumed the previous Uncharted games. Smiley Wink

inb4 "Oh noes, I don't have any Platinum trophies"

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 9 of 11 (246 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Feb 5, 2013
Nobody cares long enough in a story mode with no store to platinum UC3.

Just make it so that if you have a save file of a finished campaign of a previous UC game, you can skip.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 10 of 11 (178 Views)
0 Likes