Apr 03 2012
By: Eugenides Treasure Hunter 9167 posts

Marked Man needs a fix.

127 replies 321 views Edited Apr 3, 2012

This thread has been a long time coming, and it’s funny, because I didn’t used to hate this Power Play. I found it a little annoying, but in recent months it’s just been wearing me down, and following some events this past weekend I’ve just had enough of its current iteration.

Marked Man is a terrible Power Play.

Let’s first stop and evaluate all of what makes this thing so frustrating.

• First off, it’s always the “middle” player on the team. As soon as you start hearing the “Power Play starting in…” counter begin, you can just glance at the scoreboard and know who the unlucky recipient will be. It doesn’t matter how well or poorly that player might be doing; as long as they’re at the middle of the scoreboard, it’s their turn to be the whipping boy for a minute straight.

• As soon as you die once, you’re basically screwed, because you cannot spawn on your teammates. Meaning the game will be placing you back onto the map away from your allies, who may or may not reach you in time to protect you from yet another death, which means the cycle will just continue. They also cannot spawn on you, so no one can immediately come and back you up.

• It doesn’t shift to different players once the Marked Man dies. How does this make any sense? Countless times I’ve seen teams completely shrug their Marked teammate off for this reason. “Oh, it’s not me, so why do I care? We can make those points up easily.” For a Power Play that should, ideally, promote teamwork, the game does a pretty poor job of making it worth anyone’s effort. One player suffering, out of five, with no repercussions for anyone else? Come on, now.

• Every kill on the Marked Man accounts for three kills, which is just absurd in itself. I don’t think I need to elaborate upon why.

• As with all Power Plays, it activates with a meager 6 kill lead. That really doesn’t qualify as much of a “shutout”, in my opinion.

• This is a small complaint, but since it’s the first Power Play, it often activates near the beginning of the match and thus before most players have their Kickbacks ready. Having time to get your Kickback might mean you’ll have at least a little more defense (Smoke Bomb would be glorious), but you seldom have even that chance.

The other day I played a match on Temple, my team against a very efficient party of 5. We started off with a strong lead, so Marked Man began. I was Marked right as I was in the process of respawning from a death, so of course I couldn’t spawn on my teammates (who were all trying to hold down the shotgun/RPG room).

The game kept spawning me in either of the bases, where I was immediately gunned down by two or more enemies as soon as I tried to move. I died three times, giving them nine points, and putting them ahead of us. The rest of the game was a tedious campfest as they tried to maintain that lead, which we had earned from the offset without the aid of a Power Play.

We ended up losing as a result.

Now, before anyone starts assuming this is just a whiney rant about a loss (I lose matches frequently when I don’t play in full parties, so I really don’t care about that), it’s not. I’m just trying to point out how flawed this system is via example.

Because of the fact that I could not spawn with my friends for protection while my location was broadcasted for the entire enemy team, and that each kill on me equated to three on the scoreboard, they were handed nine easy points.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not selling the opposing team short by any means. It would have been a close game regardless, as they were all very good players. But we earned our lead via tactical map control (and in a serious match like that, getting an initial lead can be a determining factor) right at the start, and then due to nothing more than the game’s bizarre attempts to balance “unfair” matches, we lost it.

You can work around Exposed by sticking together, or using Cloaked.

You can handle Double Damage by playing carefully, avoiding head-up confrontations, etc.

Both Power Plays still allow teammate-spawning.

There is no counter for Marked Man. Unless you’re lucky enough to have it activate while you’re surrounded by teammates who are more than willing to help protect you, you’re at the mercy of the other team, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

So, how do we make it better? Luckily, there are a few simple potential solutions to choose from…

• First is the most obvious; have the Marked Man status rotate to random players every time the first (randomly chosen) Marked player is killed. This would mean that one player wouldn’t have to suffer a solitary beating for the duration of the minute, and the rest of the team would have much more incentive to protect them, lest they end up Marked as soon as their teammate dies. This is easily the best and most beneficial solution altogether, and the simplest, in my opinion.

• Allow the Marked Man to spawn with his teammates. At the very least, this would mean that the MM would have consistent people to help guard him, instead of being placed in an isolated area away from his buddies.

• A kill on the Marked Man is still only worth one, or maybe two kills for the score. At least then, you wouldn’t be earning almost ten kills for just killing them three times.

• Increase the kill margin for Power Plays to, say, 10 kills. At least this would mean that the winning team would require a much more significant lead before the game starts helping the losing team.

• ……… Just get rid of Power Plays altogether. (TROLLOLOLOL.)

Seriously, though… We have a “good” version of Marked Man in Team Objectives, why isn’t it like that in Deathmatch? That’s literally all we really need to make this Power Play acceptable. Randomly selected player, and transfers to someone else when said player dies. Simple. Effective. Fair. I’d like to see the TDM version tweaked accordingly.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Agree/disagree? Let's hear it.

Message 54 of 128 (321 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1505 posts

Re: Marked Man needs a fix.

Apr 2, 2012

Marked Man should be granted an automatic kickback.

Message 1 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6800 posts

Apr 2, 2012

They can keep the kill at 3 points.

Random Marked Man is good, but it can't be the same person twice like in TO.

Change the deficit for all PP to 10 kills.

Make the MM get more money than his/her guards.

Make the increased money from this PP be dependant on your proximity to the MM.

Spawning shouldn't matter as you shouldn't be MM while you're dead anyways, but if for some reason you are then you should spawn on your team mates, but they still can't spawn on you.

I think that's it.

Message 2 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2305 posts

Apr 2, 2012

no shit. of coarse it needs a fix, lol.

Message 3 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9167 posts

Apr 2, 2012

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My Complete Wishlist of Changes for U3: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4673271

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if it was the same person twice every now and then. So long as it was completely random, no matter what, I could deal with that.

Message 4 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Apr 2, 2012

How about consistently making the lowest scoring player the marked man, and giving him double damage. So he's worth three points to kill but the MM has the potential to improve his score? lol

----------
All that said, fix matchmaking before anything else.
Message 5 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9167 posts

Apr 2, 2012

holicow wrote:

How about consistently making the lowest scoring player the marked man, and giving him double damage. So he's worth three points to kill but the MM has the potential to improve his score? lol

Haha, that sounds ridiculously complicated...

And also, bear in mind that the lowest person on the scoreboard isn't necessarily someone who needs help improving their score/is doing badly. In, say, a 6-0 game, the person at the bottom just hasn't gotten as many kills as everyone else.

Message 6 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
571 posts

Apr 2, 2012

Fix Double damage 1st

Marked man isnt as bad as double damage but i agree with the random rotation on the marked man

Message 7 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6800 posts

Apr 2, 2012

Eugenides wrote:

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My Complete Wishlist of Changes for U3: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4673271

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if it was the same person twice every now and then. So long as it was completely random, no matter what, I could deal with that.

The problem with that is then you have the more common spawning all alone issue especially if everyone's dead and no one can spawn on you because as MM you spawned immediately.

I mentioned TO because there it is random but sometimes it's the same person all five times. That's why I said different every time because it's much fairer for everyone.

Another thing that just dawned on me, they need to do something about Revenge and MM because the timing of both sychronizes to cause the respawn death glitch. So often times in TO if a person with revenge is MM they will die twice for every one time they get killed. Really annoying. As is the team with no MM.

Message 8 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Apr 2, 2012

Agreed on all points. Marked Man is implemented poorly, as are PowerPlays in general. The paltry 6-kill activation trigger still blows my mind.

Message 9 of 128 (321 Views)
0 Likes