Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Re: Lag Is At It's All Time High.....

Nov 30, 2012

I think I experienced both ends of the spectrum today.

The first games I played today were genuinely the most lag-free I have enjoyed since the launch of the game. Everyone in the lobby (I play 3TDM to try and minimize the effects of lag) had 4 or 5 bars, and the gameplay was seamless, with hit detection being timely and deaths actually being fairly allotted. Playing, for the first time EVER, was frustration free, and a pleasure. Having not played for a week, I thought ND's efforts in 'fixing' matchmaking based on improving the priority of geolocation might have worked.

The same group played around four games with no lag, before one player left and was replaced by another with no bars. The next game immediately became a lag-fest. From lag-free play, the arrival of a single player with a poor connection (incidentally, MEX clan tag) dragged gameplay back to the usual unpredictable rubbish (terrible hit detection; getting used to firing a whole clip at an opponent every time because with lag you can't take the risk of just shooting the number of bullets you think should definitely be enough to kill them; all grenades being unreturnable - even when freshly thrown; huge incidence of both players in a confrontation dying, even though one seemingly killed the other first; grenades killing from meters away etc etc). Just by looking at the quality of their connection it was clearly not an appropriate match for the rest of the lobby - I don't see the point in dropping them into the game when the effect is to significantly downgrade the experience for everyone. Personally, I'd prefer to have waited 5 minutes, or not played at all, rather than be stuck in a lobby and then game with a player I can see immediately is not going to be able to transfer data with the host (or worse, be designated as host) at a reasonably fast rate.

All the rest of the games I played suffered from a fair amount of lag (i.e no better than pre-ND's alterations over the past week), being routinely in lobbies with players with 2 or fewer bars, located geographically on the opposite side of the planet.

My preference would be for a toggle whereby a player can choose to solely be matched with local players (i.e same continent) with a reasonable connection. As I said already, I'd rather wait for 5 or 10 minutes to play a decent match rather than waste my time playing a laggy one that just serves to frustrate instead of allowing any enjoyment.

Message 51 of 85 (230 Views)
Lombax Warrior
208 posts

Nov 30, 2012

Sorry to be the one to tell you this guys but I think this game doesn't have many players that and the dlc players separates the player pool and this game doesn't use dedicated severs. 

So we will always have lag but its great that ND it trying to fix it even if they know they cant the best they can do is improve it.

Message 52 of 85 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2394 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 1, 2012

snake134678 wrote:

Sorry to be the one to tell you this guys but I think this game doesn't have many players that and the dlc players separates the player pool and this game doesn't use dedicated severs. 

So we will always have lag but its great that ND it trying to fix it even if they know they cant the best they can do is improve it.

Easy, make u3 mp F2P.

Easy, make the dlc free. 

Not hard enough. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 53 of 85 (216 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Dec 1, 2012

wais_45 wrote:

snake134678 wrote:

Easy, make u3 mp F2P.

Easy, make the dlc free. 

Not hard enough. 

Idea in blue + Idea in red = No. Pick one.

If they're not making money with an idea, said idea is BS.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 54 of 85 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2394 posts

Dec 1, 2012

TheStuntDouble wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

snake134678 wrote:

Easy, make u3 mp F2P.

Easy, make the dlc free. 

Not hard enough. 

Yeah I meant that ND should choose any of the above. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 55 of 85 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Dec 1, 2012

wais_45 wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

snake134678 wrote:

Easy, make u3 mp F2P.

Easy, make the dlc free. 

Not hard enough. 

Hm.... if we make DLC free, it will entice people into buying the game and telling their friends "DUDES DLC IS FREE WOO!" Basically a fix of 60$? 50$?

If we make F2P, it will entice people to buy 50$ worth of stuff, or less (since not everyone buys everything).

Do free DLC, ND. 2 weeks. Just 2 weeks. Like Uncharted 2?

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 56 of 85 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2394 posts

Dec 1, 2012

TheStuntDouble wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

snake134678 wrote:

Easy, make u3 mp F2P.

Easy, make the dlc free. 

Not hard enough. 

Hm.... if we make DLC free, it will entice people into buying the game and telling their friends "DUDES DLC IS FREE WOO!" Basically a fix of 60$? 50$?

If we make F2P, it will entice people to buy 50$ worth of stuff, or less (since not everyone buys everything).

Do free DLC, ND. 2 weeks. Just 2 weeks. Like Uncharted 2?

I think they should do the f2p, to draw more players in first. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 57 of 85 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Dec 1, 2012
F2P's kinda risky. You can't be assured money will come. I for one just play with all the free stuff in F2P, because buying ingame stuff is for chumps. (My opinion)
Message 58 of 85 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Dec 1, 2012

Blitz and Jacuzzi's posts indicate that there is something wrong going on with the late join/host migration netcode...

I mean, is it fair to give hosting duties to players with subpar connections and screw everyone else?!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 59 of 85 (170 Views)
Fender Bender
2389 posts

Dec 1, 2012
I made a new account, I found players with great connections and mixed ranks, and had some (almost) lag free games, the lag I did find was so minor that it wasn't game changing, no one had an advantage due to their connection.

Funny how this "Ping Based" match making works.
Pepsi
Message 60 of 85 (152 Views)
0 Likes