Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/11/2008
Offline
4836 posts
 

Exactly. Why would someone want to buy a game that is &qu...

Apr 19, 2011

 


LadyPatience wrote:
Sorry; but these aren't MASSIVE changes to the Multiplayer; it is a different game.

A massive change would be an update, which yes, have caused fury in the past, but the difference is, this is a new game that we have to pay for; should we want to play it.

 

Exactly.

Why would someone want to buy a game that is "Significantly" improved upon it's predecessor? We don't need another Uncharted 2, and besides, they actually LISTENED well to the hardcore fans. Who was begging for a 2 vs 2 vs 2 Team Deathmatch? And who wanted Split-Screen?




Message 11 of 108 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/04/2011
Offline
750 posts
 

Different strokes.   As a counter to your argument, the F...

Apr 19, 2011

 


pdiss88 wrote: For instance, the Villains are at a serious disadvantage on Flooded Ruins as soon as the match boots up if the Heroes team knows what they're doing. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I still hope that the fact that all four UC2 DLC maps were grossly asymmetrical is just some sort of coincidence, but it seems to indicate otherwise and I see that as detrimental moving forward. I want my maps to play well and be fair, not just look really cool.

 


 

Different strokes.

 

As a counter to your argument, the Flooded Ruins favours the Villains tremendously in Plunder, due to the difficulties in scoring as heroes, and the cover afforded villains at their own end.

 

The Highrise is the opposite.

 

I won't argue the advantages of at-start in Deathmatch.  But I do not play deathmatch, so I have to apologetically state that I don't really care how it pans out.  

 

One of the maps you absolutely abhor has been a great exemplar of the development of opening strategies: The Museum, for Plunder.   Where the advantage used to be with the Villains, who had easy access to the shotgun, and therefore quick kills, now the Heroes will simply avoid that route, or sit in wait for a shotgunner.

 

As much as there is a voice from grizzled veterans, capable and elite, for symmetric maps with no advantages, there are those of us who do like the asymmetry, who do like the advantage one side gains over another, both initial and ongoing.

 

For the record I agree with you wholeheartedly that at some point UC2 MP was consigned to be a beta for the UC3, a product which is moving towards that big sales of a Franchise IP.  The number of things simply unattended since July of 2010, when 1.09 came out, are massive.  Whether by design or the default of too much work on hand, this is the effect ND saw with UC2 MP.

 

Please allow us our Highrise and our Museum melees.  We do like them.  And some of us, too, are hardcore.  :smileywink:

Message 12 of 108 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 10/11/2008
Offline
9807 posts
 

I felt let down with some of these changes at first, but...

Apr 19, 2011

 


pdiss88 wrote:

What's the over/under on the extra number of days the casual MP shooter fans play this game as compared to UC2? I mean, that's obviously who ND is trying to attract through these massive changes to the MP. These things were added in spite of the hardcore fans of UC2 MP, obviously not aimed towards them. ND knows that these hardcore fans will buy the game regardless of what changes they make and thus it doesn't affect their bottom line one bit if they're unhappy with the changes from UC2 to UC3. I must admit, it's a clever marketing marketing strategy: ignore the suggestions of your disheartened but loyal fans and instead look to take a bite from another shooter's crowd. Very, very ambitious.

 

ND clearly stated that UC2 did not accomplish their vision of what they wanted their MP game to be, as it was their first outing. Because of this, they (at least IMO) treated their final product as some sort of open beta to test for what would be the real deal in UC3. Evidence of this includes 1.05 where the bullet damage was increased. This obviously wasn't done to appease more casual players, as the game had already been out for 4 months and the casual players who complained that it took too many bullets to get a kill had quit UC2 MP three months and three weeks before. It also certainly wasn't done for the current UC2 community, since the feedback was overwhelmingly negative from these types (even though most continued playing). It was clearly done to push their vision of what their MP should be even if most of the fans who had made the MP the success that it was thus far had to move forward with the vision kicking and screaming.

 

Another thing I wasn't a big fan of was the direction the map design seemed to take in the DLC maps. The simple yet beautiful map design (thanks to the amazing textures and lighting effects) of maps such as Temple and Village got thrown out for massive, asymmetrical maps that seemed to value form far over function. Maps such as Flooded Ruins or Highrise looked beautiful the first time I booted them up and explored them in a private match, but the honeymoon ended shortly after I realized how unfair the asymmetrical map design was. For instance, the Villains are at a serious disadvantage on Flooded Ruins as soon as the match boots up if the Heroes team knows what they're doing. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I still hope that the fact that all four UC2 DLC maps were grossly asymmetrical is just some sort of coincidence, but it seems to indicate otherwise and I see that as detrimental moving forward. I want my maps to play well and be fair, not just look really cool.

 

Bottom line: I can kind of see where ND's aspirations lie just through their patterns in UC2 and what has been announced for UC3. My guess is these casual fans will play three or four extra days before they complain that it's still too hard to aim or players take too many bullets to die. Unless you essentially institute auto aim or snap-to L1 aim and reduce the damage you can take to 3 or 4 bullets, you're never going to hook these sorts of players for long.


 

I felt let down with some of these changes at first, but now I think Im getting used to them. 

 

For some aspects of the game, I think it'd only be bad depending on the severity of whats going on.  Like if custom guns made it more accurate to shoot, I dont want uncharted to become CoD... Where you can get different scopes and all kinds of junk to make your gun instant kill even faster.  I was ok with just the color changing but instead they got the whole dang gun to change appearance. 

 

Another thing that could be taken the wrong way is the custom loadouts.  If those were just picking between a few basic weapons, and assigning custom boosters to those and picking them before a match, and weapons still being on the map, I really wouldnt mind that.  With all the new boosters out it seems like its going to be a hastle switching to the ones you want right before the match starts.  But if it was everyone starts out with basic weapons, and those keep getting upgradable till say you can get an RPG or something way too CoD like where you unlock guns rather then running around getting them, I'd probably not even play the MP...

 

Power plays seem highly unnecessary too...

 

Im just hoping for 3 things:

 

1.  Lag issues are fixed.  U2 was amazing till 1.05.  After 1.04 the game got ridiculously laggy and broken.  Before that it was my favorite MP. 

 

2.  They dont pull a 1.05 on us.  I adjusted to the bullet damage nicely, but some guns are iffy, and punches definatly shouldnt be stronger then desert -5 shots.  But once they get a solid plan down, maybe a few changes are needed, but dont remap every gun. 

 

3. Cant remember what it is, but I'll robably edit it or something later. 

 

 

EDIT: oh yeah another thing.  I think the community agree with me when I say we'd like to see more maps related to the wilderness.  Too many games have the UBER cliche urban map where building are destroyed and what not.  As far as other maps go, the only maps I dislike are the trainwreck (only cuz I cant see when I snipe) and temple (stupid)

 

Message 13 of 108 (103 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/16/2010
Offline
1095 posts
 

They are trying to get more people to play which is fair...

Apr 19, 2011
They are trying to get more people to play which is fair enough. If they just cater for the guys who play Uncharted 2 at the moment, they won't have enough people to play the game.

I know it maybe not what we want ALL the time, but ND need to attract more people which is why they're adding all this new features into the game. Deal with it imo :smileyhappy:
Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - xxpur3zer0xx
Message 14 of 108 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/20/2011
Offline
204 posts
 

Only thing that set UC2 multiplayer different then any ot...

Apr 19, 2011

 


Oo_E2M_oO wrote:

I totally agree, theres really nothing unique about UC3 and its not at all recognisable to uc2, but what can we do


 

Only thing that set UC2 multiplayer different then any other MP game is the fact it was a 3rd person tactical shooter that executed everything right. The closest game I have played that even compare's is Gears of War. And since that is just on the xbox and not a platformer you can't compare the two but their both amazing and fun tactical shooters.

 

But other then that UC is your run of the mill 3rd person tactical shooter platformer.

 

And there is ton's of thing's that make UC3 better and different then UC2. But it's just like anything else in life, people don't like change because it means you have to start over and learn everything again.

 

But game's change to expand their player's, and if they never did then there would be no long running video games.

 

But your just jumping the gun and making assumption's of what is to come when nobody has a clue but ND. So put on your big boy pants and wait till the beta then flood the forum's with your complaint's :smileytongue:

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - HoorawrFatChicks
Message 15 of 108 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 10/11/2008
Offline
9807 posts
 

Look what happened when they didnt cater to U2 fans.  1.0...

Apr 19, 2011

 


xxpur3zer0xx wrote:
They are trying to get more people to play which is fair enough. If they just cater for the guys who play Uncharted 2 at the moment, they won't have enough people to play the game.

I know it maybe not what we want ALL the time, but ND need to attract more people which is why they're adding all this new features into the game. Deal with it imo :smileyhappy:

 

Look what happened when they didnt cater to U2 fans.  1.05 came out and the entire U2 population that played religiously hated it and people who didnt picked up a copy of black ops.  Everyone who wanted 1.05 left before it even came out.

 

I had a group of friends that I played with religously.  Every day it was the 5 of us on around the same time then off.  There were others but the 5 of us always stuck together when we could.  Once 1.05 came out, a majority of my friends list went to black ops and I was stuck with myself and probably 3 or 4 other people.  Having hardly anyone to play with, I quickly made new friends and continued playing with them.  Point being, you dont want to upset hardcore fans when you already have them hooked.

 

Hardcore fans are upset now because it seems like ND is trying hard to make the game easier for people who arent as good.  If you're good you're good.  They shouldnt get to have double damage just because they are getting their behinds handed to them. 

 

Most changes Im starting to get used to, but there are a few that just come across as ridiculous.

Message 16 of 108 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 04/14/2010
Offline
2868 posts
 

Naughty Dog's motto (and I am pleased with it) Think Bi...

Apr 19, 2011

Naughty Dog's motto (and I am pleased with it)


Think Big, Start Small, Be EPIC!!!

 

Can't wait for U3!

 

Woo-hoo!

2544133150[1].png

Message 17 of 108 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 04/14/2010
Offline
2868 posts
 

BTW:  I am a hardcore fan...and I AM pleased with what is...

Apr 19, 2011

BTW:  I am a hardcore fan...and I AM pleased with what is to come.

2544133150[1].png

Message 18 of 108 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/04/2009
Offline
5842 posts
 

I appreciate your sarcasm, but let's bring this in a more...

Apr 19, 2011

 


Shadow-Man_4 wrote:

 


LadyPatience wrote:
Sorry; but these aren't MASSIVE changes to the Multiplayer; it is a different game.

A massive change would be an update, which yes, have caused fury in the past, but the difference is, this is a new game that we have to pay for; should we want to play it.

 

Exactly.

Why would someone want to buy a game that is "Significantly" improved upon it's predecessor? We don't need another Uncharted 2, and besides, they actually LISTENED well to the hardcore fans. Who was begging for a 2 vs 2 vs 2 Team Deathmatch? And who wanted Split-Screen?


 

I appreciate your sarcasm, but let's bring this in a more serious direction: who wanted weapon customization, kickbacks, power plays and boosters that allow people to see others through walls again? I don't recall anyone suggesting this on the forums, so I don't see how this is any sort of implementation based on listening to the "hardcore fans." If I ever did see a thread with someone suggesting killstreak-like abilities (the kickbacks actually sound more similar to Resistance 2's berserks than COD's killstreaks), it immediately got shot down by 75% of the forum while the other 25% were indifferent. In addition, anytime someone complained about how lame it is to get blown out by a more skilled team, they suggested a no-party (or mercenary) playlist, not "power plays" that give the team a chance to turn the game around.

 

My point through the OP was that ND made these decisions in spite of UC2's community, not because they were listening to their hardcore fans. Whether or not the players from UC2's community like these changes or not is irrelevant.

Message 19 of 108 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 04/14/2010
Offline
2868 posts
 

Simple equation:   Playstation wants EVERYONE to own and...

Apr 19, 2011

Simple equation:

 

Playstation wants EVERYONE to own and play games with a PS3 ==> Uncharted 3 gives everyone (including Xbox'ers) a good reason to buy it!

2544133150[1].png

Message 20 of 108 (100 Views)
0 Likes