Lombax Warrior
214 posts

Re: If you're going to sell something...

Aug 24, 2012

HELLSAGENT_17 wrote:

a_randay92 wrote:

This is ridiculous.  I have seen so many threads created about people actually willing to pay for some the stupidest things ever.  Some are actually willing to pay for a colour wheel, more guns, and now loadouts?!?!  Are you guys serious?  Why is everyone so willing to get gouged out of money so easily?  Why aren't people standing up to shoddy **bleep** business practices and saying "No, I don't think we should be paying for this."  

With all this crazy retail specific DLC pre-order BS, and all these DLC packs designed to get more money out of consumers and make the game you buy more expensive rather than adding anything worthwhile and actually adding something new to the experience, we are willing to pay money for loadouts....come on guys..

Micro-transactions have no business in a retail game and we shouldn't even already be paying for hats and shirts and guns and taunts.  All this stuff should have been available for free since the beginning because we were promised a great customization system but what we got was terrible.  Instead, it just seems like most people are okay with this and that's why DLC is getting worse.  No one is actually saying no and it's ridiculous.  

DLC can be done well.  Look at R*, Bethesda, and other studios.  R* for example gave Red Dead Redemption a FREE 6 mission co-op pack that has literally given me 15 days worth of multiplayer value.  And that was free!  They also released expansions packs, full on games in themselves such as the Undead Nightmare for only 10 bucks.  Same thing with GTA4 and the 20 dollar expansion packs which were basically full games.

Even Naughty Dog did DLC right with Uncharted 2.  Go back and look at those.  2 free NEW maps, 6 character skins and a brand new game-mode (siege) for only $2.99.  Now that's a good deal.  How can we justify a hat costing 50 cents now?   

We shouldn't have to pay for every little thing in a game.  Because we keep buying in to all this nonsense, we are enabling companies to take this one step further to see how much money they can make off of us because it seems like we are so **bleep** desperate for loadouts, and shirts..  Speak with your wallets people.  This is only going to get worse in the future.  Pretty soon NaughtyDog will charge us for each chapter in singleplayer or to see the true ending etc etc (look at Capcom and other companies doing DLC poorly)  

END RANT... 

You just unleashed a lot there... Anyway

I'm tired of explaining this, it helps ND and the economy.

If you bought the fortune hunters club, what are you complaining about? You got it all for a good price, plus they did just "add something new" to the experience. You're complaining about it already. (Stat hats, shirts, guns etc)

You can already get most of the clothing and guns for free, what are you talking about? Also, there are some people that do actually like this, but if you've paid attention at all to the forums the last week, many people are complaining as well, most do thing it's ridiculous but guess what, people get over things. As I did with Talbot's FAL being sold for a buck.

You do realize RDR is one of those outdated games now, R* has released games like Max Payne 3 with over the top multi-player, I got the GOTY edition which came with undead nightmare for free, which brings me to my next point.

Uncharted 2 is now outdated because Uncharted 3 is out. Of course many people have moved on to this game and everything in Uncharted 2 has now recently become free, because really, who is going to continue paying for it? You can play Siege mode and all the DLC maps are free in UC3 too. Unless you're a completionist, you're not being forced to buy every single hat in the game. You get your favorite item for your favorite characters for 1 buck or less and that's all there is to it.

I can assure you, we are speaking with our wallets, it's our choice what we do with our money, as is yours. Don't be silly now, being charged for a chapter? Maybe the day I can play children's card games on motorcycles.

Why is it that when anyone talks against what Naughty Dog is doing, they are "complaining" or "whining."  I don't understand that.  And helping the economy?!  Really?  Don't bring that BS here.  Your trying to say that introducing micro-transactions and paying more for games is helping the economy.  The only thing it is helping is making our wallets lighter and Sony's fatter.

I'm bringing up older games (RDR is not outdated, it still looks better than Uncharted 3 and is better by a mile IMO) because I'm trying to illustrate the trend with DLC and how it's progressively getting worse.  We had great DLC with Uncharted 2, and now Uncharted 3 is just money-grubbing and "the most loyal fans" are just giant cash cows.  I'm just saying that we shouldn't have to pay for stuff like this and I can't believe people are actually buying in to this.  Just open your eyes and get over your love affair with Naughty Dog.  We are just a bunch of dollar signs in their eyes right now.. 

Message 41 of 59 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Aug 24, 2012

a_randay92 wrote:

HELLSAGENT_17 wrote:

a_randay92 wrote:

This is ridiculous.  I have seen so many threads created about people actually willing to pay for some the stupidest things ever.  Some are actually willing to pay for a colour wheel, more guns, and now loadouts?!?!  Are you guys serious?  Why is everyone so willing to get gouged out of money so easily?  Why aren't people standing up to shoddy **bleep** business practices and saying "No, I don't think we should be paying for this."  

With all this crazy retail specific DLC pre-order BS, and all these DLC packs designed to get more money out of consumers and make the game you buy more expensive rather than adding anything worthwhile and actually adding something new to the experience, we are willing to pay money for loadouts....come on guys..

Micro-transactions have no business in a retail game and we shouldn't even already be paying for hats and shirts and guns and taunts.  All this stuff should have been available for free since the beginning because we were promised a great customization system but what we got was terrible.  Instead, it just seems like most people are okay with this and that's why DLC is getting worse.  No one is actually saying no and it's ridiculous.  

DLC can be done well.  Look at R*, Bethesda, and other studios.  R* for example gave Red Dead Redemption a FREE 6 mission co-op pack that has literally given me 15 days worth of multiplayer value.  And that was free!  They also released expansions packs, full on games in themselves such as the Undead Nightmare for only 10 bucks.  Same thing with GTA4 and the 20 dollar expansion packs which were basically full games.

Even Naughty Dog did DLC right with Uncharted 2.  Go back and look at those.  2 free NEW maps, 6 character skins and a brand new game-mode (siege) for only $2.99.  Now that's a good deal.  How can we justify a hat costing 50 cents now?   

We shouldn't have to pay for every little thing in a game.  Because we keep buying in to all this nonsense, we are enabling companies to take this one step further to see how much money they can make off of us because it seems like we are so **bleep** desperate for loadouts, and shirts..  Speak with your wallets people.  This is only going to get worse in the future.  Pretty soon NaughtyDog will charge us for each chapter in singleplayer or to see the true ending etc etc (look at Capcom and other companies doing DLC poorly)  

END RANT... 

If you bought the fortune hunters club, what are you complaining about? You got it all for a good price, plus they did just "add something new" to the experience. You're complaining about it already. (Stat hats, shirts, guns etc)

You can already get most of the clothing and guns for free, what are you talking about? Also, there are some people that do actually like this, but if you've paid attention at all to the forums the last week, many people are complaining as well, most do thing it's ridiculous but guess what, people get over things. As I did with Talbot's FAL being sold for a buck.

You do realize RDR is one of those outdated games now, R* has released games like Max Payne 3 with over the top multi-player, I got the GOTY edition which came with undead nightmare for free, which brings me to my next point.

Uncharted 2 is now outdated because Uncharted 3 is out. Of course many people have moved on to this game and everything in Uncharted 2 has now recently become free, because really, who is going to continue paying for it? You can play Siege mode and all the DLC maps are free in UC3 too. Unless you're a completionist, you're not being forced to buy every single hat in the game. You get your favorite item for your favorite characters for 1 buck or less and that's all there is to it.

I can assure you, we are speaking with our wallets, it's our choice what we do with our money, as is yours. Don't be silly now, being charged for a chapter? Maybe the day I can play children's card games on motorcycles.

Why is it that when anyone talks against what Naughty Dog is doing, they are "complaining" or "whining."  I don't understand that.  And helping the economy?!  Really?  Don't bring that BS here.  Your trying to say that introducing micro-transactions and paying more for games is helping the economy.  The only thing it is helping is making our wallets lighter and Sony's fatter.

I'm bringing up older games (RDR is not outdated, it still looks better than Uncharted 3 and is better by a mile IMO) because I'm trying to illustrate the trend with DLC and how it's progressively getting worse.  We had great DLC with Uncharted 2, and now Uncharted 3 is just money-grubbing and "the most loyal fans" are just giant cash cows.  I'm just saying that we shouldn't have to pay for stuff like this and I can't believe people are actually buying in to this.  Just open your eyes and get over your love affair with Naughty Dog.  We are just a bunch of dollar signs in their eyes right now.. 

Well, to "help the economy" money must pass through somewhere.

Your opinion of RDR vs UC3 is biased. I agree it's better, but it's biased.

Besides. Look at me. I didn't buy any DLC. No Harry Flynn, no doughnut crap, no map packs, no Stage whatever. I'm still happy. I think it's best that ND actually gave us some of the stuff we actually expected from the game for free. Obviously since you guys are insanely rich, you're willing to spend cash on even the most ridiculous stuff (base guns, treasure guns, you know, guns you get from the game for free). I can't help but see how ridiculous it seems, spending so much cash on things that should have been in the game before or is in the game rather than, I don't know, food.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 42 of 59 (149 Views)
Lombax Warrior
214 posts

Aug 24, 2012

TheStuntDouble wrote:

a_randay92 wrote:

HELLSAGENT_17 wrote:

a_randay92 wrote:

END RANT... 

Besides. Look at me. I didn't buy any DLC. No Harry Flynn, no doughnut crap, no map packs, no Stage whatever. I'm still happy. I think it's best that ND actually gave us some of the stuff we actually expected from the game for free. Obviously since you guys are insanely rich, you're willing to spend cash on even the most ridiculous stuff (base guns, treasure guns, you know, guns you get from the game for free). I can't help but see how ridiculous it seems, spending so much cash on things that should have been in the game before or is in the game rather than, I don't know, food.

Well, I'm not stating RDR being better than Uncharted 3 is fact, it's just my opinion.  I just happen to prefer it and I got way more enjoyment out of it and I still do (only game I have been playing for a while now).  And I completely agree with your last paragraph.  People are just throwing money around left and right at the stupidest things like it's nothing and that's what is annoying because it is indirectly affecting every gamer with more and more **bleep** DLC being introduced in the future.  

Message 43 of 59 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Aug 24, 2012

a_randay92 wrote:

HELLSAGENT_17 wrote:

a_randay92 wrote:

END RANT... 

It does help the economy, it helps ND keep their jobs. You don't need me to explain the rest. Also, like I said before, they still haven't tried to sell us some sort of color wheel and the stuff we REALLY want, when they easily could. Especially if there excuse to not sell us one is "For the newbie's".

Message 44 of 59 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Aug 24, 2012

TheStuntDouble wrote:

a_randay92 wrote:

HELLSAGENT_17 wrote:

a_randay92 wrote:

END RANT... 

I wasn't sure if most of that was directed at me or the other guy. Anyway I explained that 1st line above. I'm not sure if I was biased or not but I do prefer UC3 over RDR and yes I've played RDR.

Insaney rich, where did that come from? That was hilarious. I only have like 7 bucks or so in my PSN wallet. I won't be able to get a lot of the games I want coming out soon as they're released like Sony all stars and Pokemon B/W2.. If say you can have a max of 10 loadouts, and they're $2 each, I'll only be able to buy 3 instead of 6. I'm not rich, buddy, ahhahaha, It's only a suggestion and you guys are being so infuriated like you're being robbed already. We're not talking hundreds of dollars. We're talking 1 and I repeat, 1, one, uno, I $, Or whatever you guys think a loadout should be worth as I said in the OP.

Message 45 of 59 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Aug 24, 2012

After more thought I realized that there are bigger, deeper issues here, and since it's been a few days and this thread is still alive so I figure I'd comment again. 

It seems to me that features that provide a competitive advantage should be given to everyone for free, whereas superficial customization things (like hats and skins) can / should be sold. 

I am mostly concerned about competitive multiplayer here, thus I find it to be quite unsavory to sell anything that provides a competitive advantage.

Loadouts are a strategic element of the game (not just a convenience) as you can change loadouts mid-game. There have been plenty of times where I did not have a Dragon loadout configured when I needed it most. Having more loadouts increases the chances that you will have a configuration that puts you at an advantage in any given match. This is why extra loadouts should not be sold.

The bigger, deeper issue here is "pay-to-win", which directly undermines the competitive game mode and recently there have been several breaches of the "pay-to-win" variety. Let me list them out:

1. Hat stats (e.g +head shot damage, Call Out hat). It would have been perfectly fine if hats had no stats and were solely for customizing appearance, but now you are also paying for what amounts to a gun mod or another booster slot.
  2. Character guns can now be purchased. They are superior guns compared to the base model by virtue of additional mods. The fact that you can buy them is another kind of "pay-to-win".
  3. Tournament Tickets. There is a race to get the Djinn skin ASAP. There is a leaderboard for tournament points. Now you can buy tickets to get more points to put yourself higher on the leaderboard and to get the Djinn skin earlier. In a few weeks when people begin to sport their Djinn skin, you will have no idea whether they paid-to-win or whether they are actually good players, or something inbetween. "pay-to-win" cheapens the competition and the rewards (irony intended).

Btw, I do realize it's not the OP's intention to ask for pay-to-win, but I want to expose this as an issue to consider in UC MP at the moment.

----------
All that said, fix matchmaking before anything else.
Message 46 of 59 (128 Views)
Lombax Warrior
214 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2012

holicow wrote:

After more thought I realized that there are bigger, deeper issues here, and since it's been a few days and this thread is still alive so I figure I'd comment again. 

It seems to me that features that provide a competitive advantage should be given to everyone for free, whereas superficial customization things (like hats and skins) can / should be sold. 

I am mostly concerned about competitive multiplayer here, thus I find it to be quite unsavory to sell anything that provides a competitive advantage.

Loadouts are a strategic element of the game (not just a convenience) as you can change loadouts mid-game. There have been plenty of times where I did not have a Dragon loadout configured when I needed it most. Having more loadouts increases the chances that you will have a configuration that puts you at an advantage in any given match. This is why extra loadouts should not be sold.

The bigger, deeper issue here is "pay-to-win", which directly undermines the competitive game mode and recently there have been several breaches of the "pay-to-win" variety. Let me list them out:

1. Hat stats (e.g +head shot damage, Call Out hat). It would have been perfectly fine if hats had no stats and were solely for customizing appearance, but now you are also paying for what amounts to a gun mod or another booster slot.
  2. Character guns can now be purchased. They are superior guns compared to the base model by virtue of additional mods. The fact that you can buy them is another kind of "pay-to-win".
  3. Tournament Tickets. There is a race to get the Djinn skin ASAP. There is a leaderboard for tournament points. Now you can buy tickets to get more points to put yourself higher on the leaderboard and to get the Djinn skin earlier. In a few weeks when people begin to sport their Djinn skin, you will have no idea whether they paid-to-win or whether they are actually good players, or something inbetween. "pay-to-win" cheapens the competition and the rewards (irony intended).

Btw, I do realize it's not the OP's intention to ask for pay-to-win, but I want to expose this as an issue to consider in UC MP at the moment.

Precisely.  This is a big issue and shouldn't occur either in games.  Pay-to-win is terrible and makes the game unbalanced.  The person with the bigger wallet, or the person who is willing to shell out the most money is the person with the biggest competitive advantage.  

I still don't think hats have to be sold at a price though.  I still firmly believe that these hats and the rest of these customization items should have been in the game to begin with.  

I don't know, when I heard that new items were coming, I had never expected that they were actually going to charge us for each item.  It's just funny how video game companies have conditioned many of us to believe that it is okay to charge for every little thing in a game.  The more people say no and don't buy in to this nonsense, the less we as gamers will be exploited out of our money.  

Message 47 of 59 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Aug 25, 2012

holicow wrote:

After more thought I realized that there are bigger, deeper issues here, and since Iit's been a few days and this thread is still alive so I figure I'd comment again. 

So... Your first post was technically a troll, unthought of post? Sorry if I take that as an insult. Anyway

"Hat stats (e.g +head shot damage, Call Out hat). It would have been perfectly fine if hats had no stats and were solely for customizing appearance, but now you are also paying for what amounts to a gun mod or another booster slot."

"Character guns can now be purchased. They are superior guns compared to the base model by virtue of additional mods. The fact that you can buy them is another kind of "pay-to-win"."

I agree with that first statement, I would be fine if these hats had no stats... But, last time I checked, when you bought something like say a stat hat, that's supposed to be your advantage over the other player. Nothing can be done about it now. We have to live with it. I'm over people being able to buy Talbot's FAL or anything I worked hard to achieve as I got the satisfaction of doing it the hard way, and I saved money too Smiley Happy, besides, if any of them are completionists, they'll have to collect that treasure anyway some time soon! If you are a confident, skilled player which I know you are, I've played with you before. You have nothing to worry about.

"Tournament Tickets. There is a race to get the Djinn skin ASAP. There is a leaderboard for tournament points. Now you can buy tickets to get more points to put yourself higher on the leaderboard and to get the Djinn skin earlier. In a few weeks when people begin to sport their Djinn skin, you will have no idea whether they paid-to-win or whether they are actually good players, or something inbetween. "pay-to-win" cheapens the competition and the rewards (irony intended)."

This is completely unrelated, and again, someone paying their way to success should not affect your gameplay and you should be proud if you did it the hard way! What I'm getting out of this is that you don't like other people having something you don't (faster than you or something). If people were to buy these loadouts, it's highly unlikely they'll go through all of them in the match and very very unlikely you'll even notice. There is almost nothing they can't do that they already can't.

Message 48 of 59 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Aug 25, 2012

a_randay92 wrote:

holicow wrote:

Precisely.  This is a big issue and shouldn't occur either in games.  Pay-to-win is terrible and makes the game unbalanced.  The person with the bigger wallet, or the person who is willing to shell out the most money is the person with the biggest competitive advantage.  

I still don't think hats have to be sold at a price though.  I still firmly believe that these hats and the rest of these customization items should have been in the game to begin with.  

I don't know, when I heard that new items were coming, I had never expected that they were actually going to charge us for each item.  It's just funny how video game companies have conditioned many of us to believe that it is okay to charge for every little thing in a game.  The more people say no and don't buy in to this nonsense, the less we as gamers will be exploited out of our money.  

Now you're just plain old hating, you don't even need a big wallet. Think about what you're saying for a second. At the very least, all you need is 3 or less dollars to say, buy 2 stat hats for your favorite Villain and Hero. Another Dollar to buy a good character gun like Talbot's FAL and this one is optional, but another dollar to buy YOUR favorite skins!

Last I checked... $2-3 does not make up a big wallet.... You act as if buying everything in the store will give you some sort of godly advantage over everyone.

Message 49 of 59 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2012

-

Message 50 of 59 (92 Views)
0 Likes