Highlighted
Apr 29 2012
By: Lt_K4RL0S I Only Post Everything 785 posts

Ideas to improve the Co-op Arena Experience

10 replies 185 views Edited Apr 29, 2012

Hey guys, this thread is mainly aimed at the co-op nerds like myself, and those who don't find enough thrills in playing co-op instead of Competitive. I decided to make a small list of things that could improve co-op. Small, and large add-on's to boost the experience a bit. Feel free to post your own ideas, if this post gets any attention, that is. Agree or disagree with the following?

- Suspenseful soundtrack - When you're cornered by that brute and clownfaced armoured guys, the remaining kill count is slowly narrowing, ammo is running dry, the suspense is nuts right? How about a few soundtracks to boost the mood? Similar to multiplayer, yet in Co-op...

- Solo Arena - Now this one I personally love having available to me in a good arena game, gives you some time to practice without those morons getting downed kissing the boot of a brute.

- Endless Arena - This one I'm pretty sure everyone expected in the shade survival. Imagine a new place on that leaderboard, dedicated to those guys who have no lives, and maybe some room for you and your friends. It'd just be so much fun

- Private matches of certain round type - When you're playing Co-op Arena, most of you dread hearing the lady say "Siege" and the grey box is placed out in the middle of the gunfire and explosions. I think it'd be alot of fun just doing capture the gold over and over until you drop, or just survival whatever floats your boat

- Character Speech - Drake himself has a couple of lines himself such as: Stomp a mudhole in your chest (Stolen from Nolan's eight year old son) - Kitty got wet and so on and so forth. How come the other characters can't do this? Because that would mean sending the actors back into the studio. But wait! How about using a few of the Competitive speech thingys in Co-op, just copy and paste right?

- Ability to play as the vilians - This one many people on the forums want to see, however it's combated and rejected with points such as confusion in the enemy and the concept of fighting your own guys. Now these points sure, they kinda are true but still, it's your own mistake not noticing the ginormously clear green writing bobbing over their heads. As for the concept of fighting your men, there was a fort co-op...

- All maps available in Co-op (Contributed by Surgeon_Sunfish) - Surgeon_Sunfish brought up a good point, they suggest the Maps such as Graveyard Temple etc should be availabe in Co-op. I support the idea, but I also understand the fact co-op compatibility would be difficult, due to the spawn locations being too difficult to set up. However, how about some nostalgia? A few modern pirates could swing by on boats, therefore a balanced spawn, and some others could climb down from the ceiling (Like in other maps such as facility)

- Higher Variety in Siege Areas (Contributed by SjShane) - Another good point. A higher number of Siege areas would shake up the experience a bit. Some players (Experienced) tend to have a general idea of where to run as soon as the Siege round starts, so therefore, if they were clueless as to where to go, the game mode would be a bit more exciting

- A reason to Hi-5 - After an intense round is completed, I usually attempt a a friendly little hi-5 for my fellow buddies. About 85% of the time, I just stand there awkwardly "Forever Alone". So how about a cash reward for the hi-5? However what I didn't really think of, is when should the Hi-5 be available to give away points. Obviously just hi-5ing the whole time is a complete boosting technique, but how about when the round ends? Or when two players finish off a Brute together? The reason I want this one is because Hi-5ing in co-op is really just a friendly gesture, than a reward for being awesome

- Commentator/Narrator Announcements - You know in a standard TDM, when the 45 kill mark is reached, the lady informs you "Five kills left, nobody die" ? How about they do the same in Co-op (Also a good moment to start up that background music hm?) Ah and one little request, can she stop pushing me to use my kickback? Most players know to use them at the appropriate time, not when that lady says so. If she could also remind people to PICK UP THE GOLD in capture the idol, that'd be swell

- Story Related Boss Character Fights (Contributed by SjShane) - This idea suggests that to finish off a co-op match, one (or two) of the main bosses would enter the map. Such as : Lazarevic, Flynn, Eddy, Marlowe, Draza etc. However, they would be map specific, U2 bosses appearing on U2 maps and so on so fourth. These bosses would be like any other you come across in the co-op universe (like the militia man or the cluster grenade guy) similar to the ones in the final co-op Adventure mission, Airport

- (Technical) Grenade drop animation bug (Contributed by CaptainNoah) - Ah yes, a small issue that has bugged the co-op community for a while. Allow me to paint you a scenario here. Armoured choker on your bud, you fire his helmet off then go for the melee. Your character does the airbourne side kick. This animation makes tossing away the grenade near impossible, and can be the cause of many unfair losses. Either the animation removed or the grenade fuse dropped is lengthened

- Enemy weapon variation extended (Contributed by SjShane) - This idea suggests that the enemies should wield a couple of power weapons, such as the hammer kal-7 tau etc. It'd make dashing for those weapon drops a bit more worth it hm?

Thank you all for the ideas, they really blow mine out of the water! I will read through any suggestions you guys come up with, with care. But please, nothing like "the difficulty is too hard" or "Treasures don't drop enough". These posts will be ignored guys. Keep up the suggestions and maybe (maybe being the operative word) a ND employee would come across this and begin stroking their beard. Of course, I definetly do not expect them ALL to be done, but just a few would be nice. Thanks again guys! Keep the ideas flowing

P.S. Please support this Thread too, he/she brings up loads of good points : http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4687185?tstart=0

Message 9 of 11 (185 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Re: Ideas to improve the Co-op Arena Experience

Apr 26, 2012

Great ideas and yes it will improve co-op but IMO what we need to bring back that "addiction" is a stand alone survival like I've mentioned here:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4687185?tstart=0

Obviously I would also like what you've mentioned too because they sound a bit more fun and would make the mode a little less lifeless. You just have to look at other co-op type games and see how well they're doing on the "survival front", COD wouldn't be as addictive had it not been for zombies

Message 1 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Apr 26, 2012

Yes, I agree. Especially with Villains in Co op and the background music! Villains are in Three Team Deathmatch with heroes and that's not confusing. Also, I don't know about you but I am ALWAYS mistaking those stupid "custom heroes" for villains. Especially when they wear those same armor and hemlets as, you know, the bad guys. So if they have that and dont' think it's a problem, then recognizable villain characters in Co Op is definately not a problem.

Also to add to the list, I don't know if there is a thread on this but why are there maps for deathmatch that you can not use in Co op? Like Graveyard, Temple, etc. All the Co-Op maps can be used in Deathmatch, but Deathmatch gets "exclusives." I don't know if there's a reason for that. Moveable elements could be removed like the plane from the airport. I don't know. But thanks for the list, I agree.

Message 2 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2376 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Love what you have so far!   One thing that would help improve Siege for me, is more Siege areas, three/four sections of a huge map is not enough when you play the map millions of times, how about making it so there's a Siege area on every part of a map.   It would also be nice for it to be made more random.  If your whole team dies it seems to put the Siege spot back where it was on the first round.

Pepsi
Message 3 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12461 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Lt_K4RL0S wrote:

- Ability to play as the vilians - This one many people on the forums want to see, however it's combated and rejected with points such as confusion in the enemy and the concept of fighting your own guys. Now these points sure, they kinda are true but still, it's your own mistake not noticing the ginormously clear green writing bobbing over their heads. As for the concept of fighting your men, there was a fort co-op...

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com

I would really like to play as villains in Co-op Arena. I honestly don’t know why this hasn’t already been implemented. If I could play as my favorite villains in Co-op Arena then I would definitely “get more out of” this mode and play it more often with my friends. I'm probably not the only one. I don’t see anything wrong with playing as villains in Co-op Arena nor do I see anything wrong with mixing and matching heroes and villains by placing them on the same teams. The latter happens all of the time in Three Team Deathmatch for Heaven's sake.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 4 of 11 (185 Views)
Fender Bender
2376 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Small idea that I think would be pretty cool, but only if Naughty Dog decides to never make villains playable in Area. 

How about round ten boss fights, Marlowe, Talbot, and Ramses would show up in Uncharted 3 maps, Flynn, Lazarevic, Draza in U2 maps, and Eddy, Roman and Navarro in UDF maps.  One boss every match, each carrying a power weapon and stronger than an armored solider.   Kinda like Borneo and Airport in Adventure.

But I want to be clear, I would only want this if it was 100% certain villains would never be playable, because being able to choose which skin you play with gives freedom to the player and keeps the game fresh.

Pepsi
Message 5 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Sweetpoison, would you be able to forward ideas such as this and the super survival one to ND or do you not have direct contact like us?

Message 6 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
365 posts

Apr 29, 2012

I have a couple ideas, although more technical. I would like to see the difficulty and time elapsed of a Co-Op match that a friend is in. There is one animation in Co-Op for steel fist that make throwing back grenades near imposible. It is similar to the Stealth/Revenge problem in competittive. The animation is when you spin kick in the air and turn around. These changes would help improve the technical side of Co-Op.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Naughty Dog,
__I have sat idly by for too long. You will NOT stand in the way of destiny! I will be in Co-Op Arena!
_____________________________________________Lots of love,
_________________________________________________Lazarevic
Message 7 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2376 posts

Apr 29, 2012

Bumping with small idea.

I noticed that Advanture has enemies that wield Hammers, Kal-7 and Tau Snipers, these could easily be put in Arena, just copy and paste right? (Maybe not that simple, but still) 

And not my idea, but it's been suggest before we get mods for Power Weapons in Co-op, this would work quite nicely, and you could also do this in Uncharted 2, well, with most of the weapons anyway.

Pepsi
Message 8 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 12, 2013
Hi, I purchased the fort co-op add on and supposed to be able to play as a villain in co-op adventure but Ian still not able to. My ps3 and game all show that it is downloaded and installed ! Am I doing something wrong? Even when I go to 3 team I switch to villain with r2 and right when the game starts it changes me back to a hero character!!! I'm trying to seek help before playstation gives me a refund.... I WAnna Play As Villain!!!!!
Message 10 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes