Nov 20 2011
By: Flint_Prophet Wastelander 674 posts

Fix grenades, ND

10 replies 17 views Edited Nov 20, 2011

Grenade radius effect needs MAJOR fixin'...it's ridiculous how inconsistent this is.

Message 1 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
763 posts

Yep, grenades that shouldn't kill me, kill me all the tim...

Nov 20, 2011

Yep, grenades that shouldn't kill me, kill me all the time.  I would accept a knock back or taking damage, but I die ALL THE TIME to grenades that are really far away from me.  I've been told it's because of lag.

Case in point, this video I made:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dposLQuZRQ

Message 2 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9167 posts

I don't care nearly as much about the radius as I do abou...

Nov 20, 2011

I don't care nearly as much about the radius as I do about the "Hey, I just pressed the grenade button, my character did the throw motion, but I still have my grenade--... Oh cool, now I'm dead," problem. Playing tonight, I've had a particularly annoying amount of times where a well-placed grenade could have saved me (and would have, were they still as responsive as I grew accustomed to in UC2), yet I'm instead left awkwardly flinging my arm around like an idiot, with no results, and subsequently getting mowed down. I've tried to be patient about it, but it's really getting annoying.

If this was a nerf, remove it. If it's a bug, fix it. I want to be able to rely on grenades to potentially get me out of a tight spot; I don't need the added worry of wondering if they'll even be thrown.

Message 3 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
511 posts

Agree with it being to inconsistent. Sometimes you will b...

Nov 20, 2011

Agree with it being to inconsistent. Sometimes you will be 3-4 roll lengths away and die, but other times your right on top of it and nothing.

Message 4 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5545 posts

It's lag that's causing the far-away grenade deaths. It's...

Nov 20, 2011
It's lag that's causing the far-away grenade deaths. It's because your opponent still sees you as being close to the grenade because the data that says "the player has moved to x position now" hasn't reached them yet, so as far as their screen is concerned, you're still within blast radius.

As far as grenade bugs go, I have another one - if you kill someone who's in the process if throwing a grenade back, the grenade either completely vanishes or freezes on the spot, then flashes red and bleeps indefinitely.
Message 5 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Grenades are fine, learn how to roll or run!

Nov 20, 2011

Here we go again with the NaughtyDog tweaks!

Message 6 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Also, fix the problem of not being able to throw a grenad...

Nov 20, 2011

Also, fix the problem of not being able to throw a grenade at all..1/2 the time I throw a grenade and it never even throws the grenage.. It is getting stupid really.

Message 7 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
238 posts

How about when you're shooting, you throw a grenade, and...

Nov 20, 2011

How about when you're shooting, you throw a grenade, and your aiming like jerks downward so the grenade goes into the totally wrong place.. this annoys me like mad... same thing happens to me when I switch to rpg kick back..

I do miss the good old days of being able to poo a grenade when I'm about to die.. I dont want my character to have to finish making the throwing grenade arm motion for it to throw... it should throw when I push it..

Bring back Steve Valentine for Harry Flynn!

ghfh

Message 8 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5921 posts

I'm actually glad enemies can't fling a nade instantly wh...

Nov 20, 2011

I'm actually glad enemies can't fling a nade instantly while I'm trying to get in a gunfight with him.

With the radius being upped to the way it was in UC2 pre-1.06, there had to be something done to the way nades are thrown so that they aren't as effective as they were in UC2. The longer nade throwing animation and the fact that rolling or jumping cancels out the grenade-throwing animation were intentional decisions. Just time it right and you won't be having that issue anymore.

Message 9 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4961 posts

I really beleive this was an intention change to prevent...

Nov 20, 2011

Eugenides wrote:

I don't care nearly as much about the radius as I do about the "Hey, I just pressed the grenade button, my character did the throw motion, but I still have my grenade--... Oh cool, now I'm dead," problem. Playing tonight, I've had a particularly annoying amount of times where a well-placed grenade could have saved me (and would have, were they still as responsive as I grew accustomed to in UC2), yet I'm instead left awkwardly flinging my arm around like an idiot, with no results, and subsequently getting mowed down. I've tried to be patient about it, but it's really getting annoying.

If this was a nerf, remove it. If it's a bug, fix it. I want to be able to rely on grenades to potentially get me out of a tight spot; I don't need the added worry of wondering if they'll even be thrown.

I really beleive this was an intentional change to prevent players from tossing out afterlife grenades as they are dying.  I understand your frustration, but the fact is that all of us have to deal with it.  Its not like its a bug just on your end.  Every player in Uncharted 3 needs to realize that if you want to toss a grenade, you are going to need a full second of pressing the L2 button to toss one.

I know its frustrating, as we are soooo used to the instantaneous toss of UC2, but it makes sense really.  It takes a second to pull out a grenade, pull the pin and toss.  You shouldn't be able to just drop one in a split second.  You need to make sure you have a full second to toss the grenade before you die.  

I don't find myself getting killed as much before my grenade is thrown, but what I find myself doing is attempting an L1 - L2 grenade toss, and then rolling or jumping away too quickly, only to have my grenade toss abruptly ended by my evasive roll or jump.  This was something that we didn't need to worry about in UC2 as the toss was instant.  

I'm perfectly ok with the change.  I think it was done for a good reason, and its just something that we need to adjust to.  I think if we weren't so used to the quick drops in UC2, it would be a non-issue.  

Uncharted 2: 135,000 kills
Uncharted 3: 110,000 kills
Uncharted 4: meh
Message 10 of 11 (17 Views)
0 Likes