Highlighted
Aug 18 2012
By: SouthpawLP Treasure Hunter 4595 posts

Eleven ideas for new multiplayer maps! (Dry Docks now included!)

[ Edited ]
112 replies 2178 views Edited Aug 19, 2012

Hola.

So, the new mesh map has got me thinking: the U3 team is still really good with designing multiplayer maps. The FHC deal may have run out and it may seem that the Drake's Deception Map Pack is the last one we're getting, but why should it? I mean think about it, with all the ruins and jungles and deserts and wartorn cities/villages this world has, how could we possibly run out of ideas for Uncharted 3 maps? Whether it's based off of the campaigns in the four Uncharted games (Golden Abyss counts) or they are simply random locations which we've never seen (and maybe never will see) in the Uncharted story, here are some ideas for maps I'd like to see in Uncharted 3 sometime.

1. The Cruise Ship

Of all the campaign locations that I have on this list, the section in Uncharted 3 where Nate fights his way to the brig on Rameses' cruise ship is the one I'd like to see the most. There could be three rooms which easily lead to each other: the cargo hold outside (where you fight a PAK-80 brute), the ballroom, and the brig itself. A hatch could connect the brig and the cargo hold, a revolving door (which your character could go through if you pressed triangle, somewhat similarly to Airstrip's garage doors) could connect the cargo hold and the ballroom, and a simple door leading to a small staircase could connect the brig and the ballroom. With this setup, you could easily access any of the other two rooms at any time.

Additionally, the map could have the details from the campaign like the ship rocking back and forth, and a dynamic event like the ship suddenly getting a hole blown through it and starting to capsize would be a great way to finish each match on this map (in a deathmatch mode, that is), only if Naughty Dog can implement it correctly, though. But seriously, wouldn't it be awesome to play on a map where the map is actually rotating so top-and-bottom become left-and-right? Maybe impossible for the limited U3 team in this generation, but here's hoping we get an awesome map like this when Uncharted 4 comes.

2. Borneo

Definitely the map that has been missing for a while now. When you play Chapter 4 of Uncharted 2's campaign, you're taken to this location that would be such an obviously awesome multiplayer map: a dig site in Borneo built around a shipwreck. From the turret tower to the boulders Sully snipes from to the catwalk and the little "office", Borneo seems like it could be a simple yet incredible multiplayer map, as long as it was made a little bit bigger (the campaign section's location does seem pretty small). The turret tower would be an easy grenade kill (like most turret spots) and a bonus would be if the water was actually deep in the map (allowing people to swim if they choose not to take the catwalk).

As for dynamic events, I'd keep it simple except for making the turret tower blow up eventually (kind of like the plywood house in Airstrip).

3. Castle Ruins

Look at that castle (the Corfe Castle in Dorset, England). Just look at it. Am I the only one around here who thinks that would make for an extremely impressive Uncharted map if it was just a little bit bigger? Yeah? Well, go to Google and search "castle ruins" and you'll find many pictures like this one, of several ancient castles torn from war and neglect. Now, I know that Fort seems like a castle map already but... no. Fort is not a castle. It is a fort. Chateau is not a castle. It's a mansion. Let's get an actual mothereffin' castle in Uncharted 3's multiplayer. Preferably one that looks like it's in shambles a bit more than Fort does. Hell, design a fictional castle like Camelot for the backdrop. Just give us a fricking Castle Ruins map already.

4. Venice, Italy

It's a city with water for streets. What part of that does not sound cool to you for an Uncharted map? Since swimming was integrated in Uncharted 3 multiplayer a few months ago, it could totally work out if there were between four and six buildings you could scale (thanks to Italy's convenient architecture style for Uncharted characters) and the power weapons were maybe limited to a small ferry passing by with a random power weapon (like how Oasis' cargo plane drops random power weapons) making enemies compete against each other as they swim to the boat.

5. BONUS: Simply give the mesh maps textures that make them similar to Uncharted story sections (or one of the non-canon maps, like in ryumitch1's drawing below).

To me, the first mesh map is structured similarly to the sanctuary section of Uncharted 2's campaign. We already have a Sanctuary map, I know, but to me this map is shaped perfectly to look like a second Sanctuary map. Give this map Sanctuary's texture (THE SUPERIOR ONE FROM UNCHARTED 2 PLEASE) and now we've got another map based off a section in one of the campaigns. Or, of course, they could use the map's layout for any texture, like ryumitch1's sketch combining the mesh map with a Castle Ruins look.

I am personally excited to see the next mesh maps, because I wonder if they'll remind me of other chapters in the Uncharted series' campaigns. Hopefully ND will give remastered mesh maps as free, patched-in DLC some day. Smiley Happy

6. Cartagena, Colombia (RedLegend14)

The scene in Uncharted 3's campaign where a teenage Nathan Drake spies on Sully was short, but it was a memorable scene for many as the city looked like a great multiplayer map: bright, convenient architecture for climbing, and lots of verticality. I'm sure it would be pretty similar to Museum in overall design if it were a map. How Oasis was designed the Drake's Deception Map Pack and Cartagena wasn't, I will never understand for sure.

7. The Treasure Vault (I-Like-Pie45)

A sadly forgotten-about location from UDF which I've only seen mentioned as a possibility for a multiplayer map a few times. The Treasure Vault would act as an open underground labyrinth with little cover at all. It seems that Fleet Foot would finally be a good booster in this map, due to how little cover there'd be, while those preferring cover could use Monkey Man to shimmy to the sides a little faster and Cloaked to find safety in the darkness. Hopefully Bane's not on the other team, though. He was born in the darkness, so there's no point using it against him. Smiley Wink

8. Guerro's Compound (HIhi2442)

Hang

Okay, bear with me here: I have not played Uncharted: Golden Abyss yet. I cannot afford a Vita at the moment and I haven't even bothered to watch walkthroughs/Let's Plays of it yet. I cannot really say what I think of the story section itself, but all I know is that just from looking at this picture, it seems like it could work amazingly for multiplayer. Maybe this and a couple other locations from Golden Abyss could form a Golden Abyss Map Pack (oh please oh please!).

9. Jerusalem (jayjay275)

Looking at this screenshot reminds me of how I felt when I played the Yemen map for the first time in the summer beta: like my mind was being blown from the awesomeness. The more I look at this image of the Tower of David, the more I desire it to be put into the multiplayer. It simply needs to happen.

10. Tree of Life (xSKIN_N_BONESx)

tree of life 2

Pretty straightforward. You have large treetrunks for cover, explosive blue sap that can be shot and detonated which grows from trees and roots that regrow periodically, some ruins that back it up for extra verticality, and maybe some thick tree growth on the other side for symmetrical verticality across the map (paraphrased from xSKIN_N_BONESx).

11. Dry Docks (DrakeShepard)

Naughty Dog scrapped the Dry Docks section of the singleplayer, but the whole point of this thread is to get new maps in the multiplayer, not just locations from the singleplayer. Whether Naughty Dog scrapped this map because they hadn't yet polished the swimming for multiplayer, or they felt Graveyard was a better overall map, I don't know for sure. But whatever ND's reason is to scrap this map I would like to encourage them to try their hand at designing Dry Docks once again. Please ND; we've been waiting for it since April 2011.

So what are your thoughts on these ideas? Do you have any ideas of your own? Post them here! First person to suggest their map gets credit in the OP!

Message 1 of 113 (2,178 Views)
Fender Bender
3480 posts

Re: Ideas for new multiplayer maps.

Aug 18, 2012

Thumbs up for Venice definetely! 

Message 2 of 113 (2,167 Views)
Fender Bender
2434 posts

Aug 18, 2012

No Cartagena?

Message 3 of 113 (2,161 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4595 posts

Aug 18, 2012

RedLegend14 wrote:

No Cartagena?

Ooh, Cartagena would be an excellent multiplayer map! (air guitar)

Message 4 of 113 (2,157 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1199 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2012

I don't care where they base them, I just want next maps to be the size of the first block mesh map. I can't be the only one who finds Sanctuary / Village / Desert Village / Block Mesh Map and these small maps to be much, much funnier to play than big maps. This multiplayer was designed for 5v5, and to fit that, maps shouldn't be as big as, for example, Airstrip or City of Brass.

Game is funnier on small maps unless you raise to 20 the player cap in Uncharted 4.

There are some good ideas up, like the cargo (moving ship would be awesome) and Borneo. Seriously, jungle map, wether it's from Borneo or from the jungle in Drake's Fortune, has been the most requested map since Uncharted 2. There are also wasted opportunities in locations like Cartagena or inside Ubar. About Venice... Maybe when Drake goes there.

Message 5 of 113 (2,149 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4595 posts

Aug 18, 2012

NeVeO wrote:

I don't care where they base them, I just want next maps to be the size of the first block mesh map. I can't be the only one who finds Sanctuary / Village / Desert Village / Block Mesh Map and these small maps to be much, much funnier to play than big maps. This multiplayer was designed for 5v5, and to fit that, maps shouldn't be as big as, for example, Airstrip or City of Brass.

Game is funnier on small maps unless you raise to 20 the player cap in Uncharted 4.

There are some good ideas up, like the cargo (moving ship would be awesome) and Borneo. Seriously, jungle map, wether it's from Borneo or from the jungle in Drake's Fortune, must be the most requested map. There are also wasted opportunities in locations like Cartagena or inside Ubar.

The mesh map is small to you?! It looks ginormous to me! Maybe it isn't that big, but... anyways.

I pretty much agree overall. I hate the really huge maps like Airstrip and Highrise (I like Museum and City of Brass, though), since finding enemies on those maps seems like such a chore at times. Action-packed smaller maps are way more fun to play, so long as they're balanced (which is why Sanctuary is one of my all-time favorite Uncharted maps period).

Message 6 of 113 (2,138 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1199 posts

Aug 18, 2012
The blue part is like it doesn't exist, except where the Mag spawns.

Cog said that the map was previously only a part of a bigger map. That's their problem, they want big maps, I don't know why. Uncharted 2 maps are flawless, in part because of its size, which suits perfectly the 5v5 multiplayer.
Message 7 of 113 (2,119 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Aug 18, 2012

How about the Treasure Vault? The map could be filled with traps to fell players on both sides and once a team reaches 40 kills, there could be a descendent attack dynamic event.

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 8 of 113 (2,114 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

Aug 18, 2012
Hell yes, I would love to see all of those become Uncharted 3 maps, the Cruise Ship in particular. I really do hope Naughty Dog have at least a couple more maps in the works, at the moment there are 12 Uncharted 2 maps and just 11 Uncharted 3 maps, which seems a bit daft.

But yeah, loving your ideas (plus RedLegend14's idea of Cartagena, which would make for an AWESOME map), hopefully you'll get enough kudos for Naughty Dog to notice and leave a reply. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 113 (2,105 Views)
Fender Bender
3480 posts

Aug 18, 2012

I-Like-Pie45 wrote:

How about the Treasure Vault? The map could be filled with traps to fell players on both sides and once a team reaches 40 kills, there could be a descendent attack dynamic event.

UDF's Treasure Vault would be really good! 

What about Florence or maybe Jerusalem? 

Message 10 of 113 (2,101 Views)
0 Likes