Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/27/2010
Offline
3480 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

Aureilia wrote:

This is not a complaint about powerplays as a whole, I remember a reply from cog somewhere stating that "Powerplays are here to stay" okay I have absolutely no problem with that, but are they here to stay in an instance where one does nothing but slow down the game to a minute camp fest?

The problems with this are as follows.

Problems:

  • Opposing losing team camps and tries to minimalize deaths and they eventually all come out of hiding and start playing when this powerplay hits
  • Double Damage is how the actual health system should be, giving one team immortal levels of health and the other crushing health is extremely unfair
  • You can be winning a gun battle and the powerplay hits and you just.. drop dead.
  • The opposite to point one, winning team camps when this powerplay hits and kills off the flow of the game.
  • If people were to play this properly, it is the last powerplay to hit and offers such an advantage that if people did play it correctly, opposing teams who are only 7 or around that behind would easily come back, overtake and potentially win the match (Powerplays appear in situations where it is NOT a shutout)

Seriously. ND need to take a hard look at this particular powerplay, The above are the scenarios from EVERY match, and why not? the powerplay itself creates and promotes this state of play since you cannot really defend yourself. I'm not saying that powerplays are the route of all evil, yes I would have preferred they never existed but surely there has to be something better than Double Damage which is hugely unfair and due to how players take it, it's become an unfair powerplay for everyone winning or losing and just simply exists to ruin the game.

Replacement options:

  • Double Health (Suggested by others)
  • Cursed (Previously in summer beta)
  • Flat Foot (Gives the winning team a loss of strafe movement, see 1.02 for how that worked)

The best option there I'd say is cursed. I'm not sure how it would impact the game, but really.. If powerplays are here to stay they need to be worked on to promote free flowing gameplay and not promote a one minute camping session and promoting a powerplay that doesn't even help the losing team due to this.

Also add more powerplays to the game, the same ones over and over in the same positions allow people to know what is coming up and allows a bit of the advantage the opposition may have to be taken away since the winning team can get ready for what is coming.

Message 11 of 40 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/28/2011
Offline
3797 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

Oh yeah and on the topic of Bk ops, you get rewarded for doing good.

The better you do the better kill streak you get, never do you get punished for it.

I'm sure if your team got punished for doing good a lot of people would be scratching their head on that game.

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 12 of 40 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/28/2011
Offline
3797 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

Your a lot more poised in your responses, and I agree with you.

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 13 of 40 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/15/2009
Offline
4545 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

Your a lot more poised in your responses, and I agree with you.

Thanks! I also added a link to my newly created Power Plays Lab, here.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 40 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 03/20/2012
Offline
1876 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

Oh yeah and on the topic of Bk ops, you get rewarded for doing good.

The better you do the better kill streak you get, never do you get punished for it.

I'm sure if your team got punished for doing good a lot of people would be scratching their head on that game.

That what I said I hate DD

Message 15 of 40 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/28/2011
Offline
3797 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

Ok maybe I didn't come off really clear here but I am against power plays and kickbacks. Just to better explain my response.

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 16 of 40 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/15/2009
Offline
4545 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

I actually like U3 health system. It's fine for me because it suits my play style, my favorite guns, and my aiming sensitivity. But I understand why you'd want to see it changed.

As for Power Plays, if ND ever listens and replaces Double Damage, I'd be happy to see some other variations (discovered by Fadi):

Pistols Only

As we know, pistols in U3 are not as efficient at the ones in U2 and are easily countered by long guns, so that might be fun to experience.

Cursed

Cursed would also work because if a team is well organized, that wouldn't be much of an issue since teammates would be easily able to recognize each other. The only inconvenience is when you're playing with randoms, especially newbies as they haven't grasped the concept yet, and if your teammate(s) gets in the middle of your shots or you accidentally melee him/her.

Elimination

This was also going to be a Power Play. I think it would interesting to experiment with as it's be difficult to judge right now.

I think a Power Plays Lab (I created a thread in the Lab section: Click! and support if you agree) would be perfect to test and experiment every type, frequency (at what kill mark should PP activate), and occurence (randomized or not) of Power Plays.

However, I think the entire idea of Power Plays is so not Uncharted and has lost its interest and no longer serves its purpose since players who are used to them have developed proper ways to deal with every PP by now.

ii-NuDLz-ii wrote:

Its not only Double damage, the whole concept of powerplays is just dumb, i never played 1 Game since release were a team comes back and can win because of Powerplays. it just punish people for being Good.

I agree because I said in another thread, it's very rare when Double Damage helps a team make up for their loss and deaths, the score gap stays pretty much the same and the stronger team still wins (except when it gets to that very annoying and unnecessary Overtime and Sudden Death when your team goes 50-49).

In my opinion, Power Plays are unnecessary because:

Marked Man

Only the Marked player actually gets punished while his teammates rack free kills on opponents getting distracted by that big red dot on their screens. And even if the teammates are doing their job by protecting their VIP, what can a losing team do against a 4-player squad (plus the Marked one) highly alerted at every moment and sound ready to destroy anyone who dares get near The Chosen One?!

Exposed

This isn't much of a challenge, especially on U3's large maps where CQC around corners is not a big concern. And with the increasing use of Cloaked (and the relatively easy upgrade to Gold), this PP is being deemed useless.

Double Damage

Almost everyone, including myself, camps and has a favorite hiding spot on every map during this plague. If a team is so bad that it needs DD, it means that the other team would still easily kill at long range (with G-mal) before the losing team can even get close.

It's funny how the map is a spectacular battlefield full of action, explosions, action and "beastiness" like a boss which suddenly gets deserted during DD. You can almost hear tumbleweeds rolling, crickets chirping, and wolves howling...

Photobucket
Message 17 of 40 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
14267 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:

I'm not attacking you. I'm saying I disagree with your opinion that Uncharted 3 should have low health, because it's already broken an Uncharted game and it shouldn't happen again. Making a thread about a universally hated power play to try and get people to agree with your stance seems a little iffy to me, but I'm not going to go there.

As for a Crushing Lab, sure, why not? In fact, when the custom game options come, there should be a way to tweak health in the custom games. That would be kinda cool. But for a total health change like Uncharted 2 1.05, I think that would be a completely boneheaded move of Naughty Dog to make the same mistake.

_____________________________________________________________________________ I support Super Co-op Survival Mode and Classic Mode. I probably should stop using oversized pictures to confirm that xD

No I don't want that to happen either. Changing a game like 1.05 is silly.

I approved of 1.05 more than any other patch, however that does not mean changing your core model across the board is right for everyone, actually it would have been better to keep 1.04's levels of health and damage.

However.

I'm a huge fan of variety. Thus why I'd welcome Elimination and All Competitive to return. We have a high health system, and ND went one step further. I like Hardcore, but that should have really have been completely different. We have high health modes we didn't need any more with higher health.

As for the iffy stuff, there is nothing iffy about me simply finding Double Damage to live up to it's name and damage the game in double ways for two teams that are playing.

Anyway.

People discussing Black Ops. I hate Black Ops multiplayer. The health there isn't the same as other CoD games and it's a bad example. Usually the Treyarch developed CoD games are lower in health than the Infinity Ward developed ones. The health in MW3 for example is way higher barring a few stupid power weapons and your kickback... Killstreak rewards I mean.

Anyway. Back to Double Damage.

This is something that everyone should be supporting. It's as someone put it "Universally hated" I have laid out the reasons why it is hated and what damage it is doing to the game.

Do we really want this to stay in the game or are we going to make ourselves heard? That is really up to all of you. Right now I feel like I'm almost alone barring one or two people and we need this change to improve the playability. Hiding for one minute is silly but it is something most people are feeling is absolutely vital to survive, looking for the hiding players for a minute is boring.

Double Damage is the 1 minute coffee break of Uncharted and it's nothing but a complete hinderance to the flow of the game.



Message 18 of 40 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

I'll take Cursed over DD any day.

It promotes aiming, not camping.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 19 of 40 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
14267 posts
 

Re: Double Damage needs to be replaced.

Apr 19, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

I'll take Cursed over DD any day.

It promotes aiming, not camping.

I'd take anything over DD, but I see cursed as the best option, Double Health could have the same effect where teams decide to hide it out.

But idealistically what I'd want would be a list of these powerplays and for them to be more varied so the experience wont always be the same.

Just without Double Damage.



Message 20 of 40 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes