Survivor
2892 posts

I am not in disagreement with you Eugenides, but Playstat...

Apr 19, 2011

Eugenides wrote:

People who say, "Oh, just get dedicated servers! It's that simple!" obviously have no concept of how expensive they are.

I highly, highly doubt this.

I am not in disagreement with you Eugenides, but Playstation is all over the world (PSN, and Playstation Home are good examples), and -- well -- Uncharted did win GOTY last year, and Playstation does want U3 to knock it "out the park" again.

Anything is possible if Playstation wants it.  Also, I never said it was simple.  Of course we have no idea what infrastructure plan Playstation has in the works.  If there is any game that warrants dedicated servers, Uncharted 3 is it IMVHO.

2544133150[1].png

Message 11 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Gears of War 3 is switching to dedicated servers from P2P...

Apr 19, 2011
Gears of War 3 is switching to dedicated servers from P2P.

Why does one developer make the choice to switch over another? Apparently, it is NOT that expensive to do so or EPIC wouldn't have done it.

Message 12 of 28 (84 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

Microsoft are paying for it, and honestly it makes me les...

Apr 19, 2011

bedes wrote:
Gears of War 3 is switching to dedicated servers from P2P.

Why does one developer make the choice to switch over another? Apparently, it is NOT that expensive to do so or EPIC wouldn't have done it.

Microsoft are paying for it, and honestly it makes me less exited for the game, being connected to a server across the globe doesn't interest me at all.

Message 13 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Some people falsely think that dedicated servers is the H...

Apr 19, 2011

Some people falsely think that dedicated servers is the Holy Grail of gaming... while they are completely ignorant about how networking works. :smileyindifferent:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 14 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2892 posts

Can you give us a run-down on how the dedicated server se...

Apr 19, 2011

tapantaola wrote:

Some people falsely think that dedicated servers is the Holy Grail of gaming... while they are completely ignorant about how networking works. :smileyindifferent:

Can you give us a run-down on how the dedicated server setup works?

I'd be interested to here your take...

2544133150[1].png

Message 15 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Read my first post in this thread.

Apr 19, 2011

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Can you give us a run-down on how the dedicated server setup works?

I'd be interested to here your take...

Read my first post in this thread.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 16 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

yeah, and p2p is soo much better.  I never said that they...

Apr 19, 2011

yeah, and p2p is soo much better.  I never said that they are the Holly Grail did I?  In all my years of gaming my experience has been ten times better playing on dedicated servers over p2p.

the bottom line is that p2p is cheaper for developers.  it does not make online gaming better.  

Message 17 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

and neither does being connected to third world hosts wit...

Apr 19, 2011

and neither does being connected to third world hosts with 1.5-5MB connections with horrible line quality...

Message 18 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2892 posts

Yep,   And give THIS some thought!   Split-screen means T...

Apr 19, 2011

bedes wrote:

yeah, and p2p is soo much better.  I never said that they are the Holly Grail did I?  In all my years of gaming my experience has been ten times better playing on dedicated servers over p2p.

the bottom line is that p2p is cheaper for developers.  it does not make online gaming better.  

Yep,

And give THIS some thought!

Split-screen means TWICE the data coming from your connection!  Dedicated Servers would work better there too!

Of course, it will be interesting to see if Lag affects both split-screen players in the same way :smileywink:

2544133150[1].png

Message 19 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

OK people, let's say that ND (an american company, don't...

Apr 19, 2011

OK people, let's say that ND (an american company, don't forget that) installed a dedicated server in the USA... do you mind telling me HOW is that going to help anyone outside USA?

Do you think that playing against Europeans/Japanese/Australians/Brazilians will be lag-free?

I will say it again (in case you missed it), the only problem it would solve is ports-related (that means even if you have NAT Type 3 and UPnP not available, you would still be able to hear everyone).

That's because dedicated servers use a real IP address (your PS3 uses something like 192.168.x.x which is not routable outside your LAN, so it needs Network Address Translation to communicate with other hosts in the internet):

PS3 <----LAN----> modem/router <----INTERNET----> modem/router <----LAN----> PS3

But NAT will soon be gone, when IPv6 (128 bits addresses) is adopted widely (currently we use IPv4, every address is 32 bits, 4 billion unique addresses worldwide -> not enough for 7 billion people, that's why we use NAT and UPnP for automatic port forwarding -> not all routers implement it properly).

Lag won't be minimized, end of story.

Message 20 of 28 (84 Views)
0 Likes