Jul 01 2012
By: tripleWRECK Fender Bender 3247 posts

Dear ND: Make the TAU, you know, decent.

[ Edited ]
128 replies 1446 views Edited Jul 9, 2012

Sully Tau

So I've been using this "weapon" again a little bit lately for lulz but dear God, it is an absolutely HORRENDOUS excuse for a sidearm. Here are my thoughts.

Let's see:

1. The worst aiming of any weapon in UC3?  check mark forum.png

2. Useless scope with virtually zero zoom?  check mark forum.png

3. Rapid Fire does nothing?  check mark forum.png

4. Fewest attachments of all the pistols?  check mark forum.png

5. Low ammo?  check mark forum.png

Ok so the biggest issue by far is the Tau's aiming. Straight up this is the most frustrating gun to aim in UC3. Its thoroughly-broken aim assist will make shooting enemies 10 feet in front of you seem like an impossible feat. The aim assist actually seems to counter your aim instead of helping in addition to being just too low.

How do they get away with actually naming the Tau the "Tau Sniper"?! The scope serves no applicable purpose. Its zoom is simply too low to be a scope, it's actually lower than the G-MAL/FAL reddot (LOL?). Giving it a second zoom level similar to the Dragon or increasing its default would be easy solutions

The Tau's RoF is low, which is understandable and I'm not necessarily upset about that. Since it's a 3-hit kill (and potentially a 2HK if you get a headshot), it shouldn't be shooting as fast as say, the Para 9.

That said, why does its Rapid Fire attachment increase the RoF so little that I have to check to make sure it's on? The Tau only has 3 mods to work with and [what should be] its best one doesn't even do anything

Before it had a laughably low amount of ammo (7), forcing you to use an ammo booster (good luck finding Tau's lying around). The 18 shots you get now is certainly an improvement but it'd still be nice to have a max ammo attachment. Ideally we'd get a second character variation (Sully's Tau anyone? Smiley Very Happywith max ammo and say, faster reloading.

Now like you, I was initially excited for the Tau because the prospect of a powerful-but-skill-based pistol could have been an awesome addition to Uncharted's arsenalNow I realize there's a fine line with balance, take one step to far to the left and your gun is underpowered and irrelevant. Too far to the right and it's overpowered and dominates everything.

But the Tau isn't just underpowered, it is literally worthless unless your enemy is already weak, you've snuck up on them, or they are just plain bad. And yes while you can "get used" to the Tau--to an extent--after some usage, it's fundamentally so terrible that your own skill can only offset it so much.

ND, you don't have to do a lot to make the Tau an appropriately-powerful secondary. Give us the Tau we've been waiting for.

Message 1 of 129 (1,446 Views)
I Only Post Everything
437 posts

Re: ND: Make the TAU, you know, good.

Jul 1, 2012

This weapon is simply a joke. The most funny thing is that Rapid Fire doesn't even work. I mean, seriously, did they even try it before to implement it?

By the way, I suggest to edit the title of the thread removing "ND" from it. Looks like writing "Naughty Dog" in the title is calling out them and mods will be editing it. -_-

Message 2 of 129 (1,411 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1290 posts

Re: Dear ND: Make the TAU, you know, good.

Jul 1, 2012
Other than the annoying scope, I find the Tau a solid weapon, but I don't use it much due to using Elena's and Talbot's 3rd boosters.
Message 3 of 129 (1,386 Views)
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jul 1, 2012

Lmao I remeber unlocking the TAU for the 1st time just to test the weapon out , i serioulsy never went back to it lol. i was like the hell is this? the aiming is the worse gun i ever aimed. i rather aim a KAL 7 Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 129 (1,379 Views)
Wastelander
729 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2012

The funny thing is that the best Tau is the Chloes Tau, you know why? Because it has the 2 working mods on it lol, rof is useless.

I really dislike the aim on the Tau, i miss all the shots, don't know if is lack of aim assist or the scope but it really sucks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 129 (1,350 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
990 posts

Jul 1, 2012

I don't agree with you with the low ammo, It has been buffed.

Message 6 of 129 (1,342 Views)
Wastelander
598 posts

Jul 1, 2012
You'd think for a weapon designed solely for aiming, it would actually do a decent job at it.

The problem with using the Tau is that, unless your target is almost dead or completely unaware of your presence, the odds of getting a kill are entirely against you.

I am the one who knocks.
Message 7 of 129 (1,337 Views)
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Jul 1, 2012

The_Blablob wrote:
You'd think for a weapon designed solely for aiming, it would actually do a decent job at it.

The problem with using the Tau is that, unless your target is almost dead or completely unaware of your presence, the odds of getting a kill are entirely against you.

Exactly. And after you miss a once or twice any other gun is going to take you out before you have a chance to land 2 or 3 shots.

Message 8 of 129 (1,321 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

Jul 2, 2012

Have to wholeheartedly agree.  This thing is useless.

I remember in the Adventure of the Summer beta it was brutal.

I gave it an extensive trial this weekend.  It's slow to aim, but, ok, nice spot target... but I hit people body and head three, four times and they just shrug it off.

Worthless.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 9 of 129 (1,278 Views)
Survivor
2838 posts

Jul 2, 2012
There's been so much flak aimed at the TAU for its general uselessness, and yet I still feel that all of the criticism reiterated 50x over doesn't do the gun justice to just how truly crappy and useless the gun can be.

If I'm caught in a dark alley with a PAK-80 Brute, and I have a choice between my fists and a TAU-Sniper..
-----------------
FaceBook: Psyber Kayos
The best FB groups for our communities. Thousands have joined already. Join us!:

The Uncharted Community FaceBook Group

The Last of Us Community FaceBook Group

Message 10 of 129 (1,245 Views)