Reply
Dec 04 2012
By: AliMakaveli Treasure Hunter 3721 posts
Offline

Co-op Tournament Questions ANSWERED

[ Edited ]
5 replies 220 views Edited Dec 4, 2012

I wanted to make a separate thread for this as I get asked the same questions again and again. It's too long to add it on the Tournament Thread, and I can't be bothered to repeat myself again and again.

 

Here are the most asked questions/myths about the Co-op tournament.

 

 

Q: Why don't you have 2 people ( a team of 2) participating in your challenges, and you could be the 3rd player as the referee? This is "Co-op" after all and the team work side of it should be highlighted.

 

A great question. However, sadly we DON'T have a spectator mode nor a Co-op Cinema available. Otherwise I definitely would've organized a 2 player Co-op Tournament. I didn't just "forget to do it". I did think of it, but it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to keep an eye on both set of players (record as well) at the same time. For tactical reason, player 1 may go one way and player 2 may go the other way. 

 

Another reason is that I MUST stay close to 1 player only, as if I stay too far then I draw some of the enemies away from them, making the challenges unfair and not very challenging.

 

 

Q: Why don't you just have 1 player doing an Adventure Map or Co-op Map on their own and see how far they go? This will test them to the limit etc.

 

It is a challenge in its self for me  to stay alive during my refereeing duties. If a player was to take on an Arena Challenge, then this will not be fair, as some players will get different rounds to others i.e. player 1 may avoid Siege altogether, and player 4 may have tons of siege rounds etc etc.

 

Most importantly, if I died during refereeing more time on someone else's challenges then that would not be fair. Refereeing may seem easy but it's not. One must focus on the player first and utmost, who by the way is VERY UNPREDICTABLE. I cannot move my camrea away to see enemies in my blind spots at ANY point as I may miss some important events. E.G. JD meleeing/Riot Shield Killing an enemy on Quiet Riot. That's a crucial moment. Why? Because during the actual recording I did NOT spot it and thought JD has defo won the challenge hands down, however after reviewing it, I noticed it.

 

Now, imagine, I turned my camera around to spot any enemies that may kill me from behind at that crucial moment. I would have missed JD's mistake and JD would have been wrongfully offered an extra 10 Bonus points and come 1st in the challenge and also top the tournament table.

 

So yes, refereeing is a crucial thing in this tournament, and it's not easy work.

 

 

How are any of these challenges related to Co-op?

 

Each challenge I have designed is UNIQUE and focuses on one of many Co-op related things. Here is an example of what these things are in these challenges:

 

Desert Dash

 


This challenge focused entirely on SCORING the Idol and the Objective side of Co-op.

Normally, players like to ignore the Idol and simply kill farm.

 

This challenge was designed to see how good the Co-op vets are at scoring. A true Co-op Vet focuses entirely on Scoring the Idol first in the safest route and manner and as quickly as possible.

 

 

Jungle Fever

 

This challenge focused mainly on the Siege side of Co-op.

There are times when you are in a very tight spot and there are enemies all around you, but sadly you have run out of ammo and cannot leave the Siege Area.

What's the next best thing? Your FISTS!! and MELEE!!

 

Borneo was a good map, as the 1st segment is very tight and there are a lot of enemies. It feels almost like a Siege Zone.

The aim of this challenge was to see how some great Co-op Vets overcome, the shortage of ammo and use their Melee tactics instead as well as throwback and standard nades.

 

Some have shown that it can be done, and that Meleeing is useful during Co-op, and some players should NOT risk going out of a Siege zone just to collect ammo, putting their team and themselves in danger. Instead take a few enemies out via melee and cover stealth and also nades.

 

 

Quiet Riot

 

The use of a Riot Shield is very rare in co-op and I wanted to show players that it IS possible to kill a whole bunch of enemies just by using one Riot Shield. It is hardly ever used but you have already seen how the top players manages to utilize the Shield in a proper manner to kill ALL enemies in one single round. Surely if they can do that, then they could at least use the Riot Shield in extreme cases during a normal Co-op match to get a few kills.

 

 

Monastery Madness

 


This challenge is designed to focus on a Co-op players long distant aim which is crucial in Co-op as well as getting kills whilst hanging. The main aim of this challenge is the players sharp aim and quickness. This is required in a Co-op match when you're in a tough situation and you are getting fired at from all angles. You must be able to get out of cover and shoot a few dead as quick as possible with your sharp shooting. Also in cases where your friend is being attacked from all angles and you are far away and need to kill a few enemies around him to get him out of his predicament.

 

 

Highrise Surprise

 


Coming SoonTM

 

 

So, there you go. 

 

This tournament itself was started by me for many reasons, to make co-op fun again as ND have said they will never fix co-op and many we're leaving it altogether. I also wanted the vets (the tournament participants) to show the REST OF THE CO-OP PLAYERS that there are DIFFERENT ways of winning a co-op match as well as using different tactics (Riot Shied, cover Stealthing etc) and using these methods effectively.

 

It is also intended for fun, and to pave way for future tournaments. It is very nice to see people OUTSIDE of the tournament having a go at the challenges I've set up. It shows we're moving forward as a co-op community and making co-op fun for ourselves at the same time, as well as helping other co-op players by showing them different methods too.

 

 

Message 1 of 6 (220 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/26/2010
Offline
2290 posts
 

Re: Co-op Tournament Questions ANSWERED

Dec 5, 2012

AliMakaveli wrote:

 

I cannot move my camrea away to see enemies in my blind spots at ANY point as I may miss some important events. E.G. JD meleeing/Riot Shield Killing an enemy on Quiet Riot. That's a crucial moment. Why? Because during the actual recording I did NOT spot it and thought JD has defo won the challenge hands down, however after reviewing it, I noticed it.

 

 


*snaps fingers* Darn it, so close. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 6 (157 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/01/2010
Offline
4145 posts
 

Re: Co-op Tournament Questions ANSWERED

Dec 5, 2012

Thanks for clearing things up, Ali. Your co-op tournament has been incredibly creative so far, and it's nice to see some explanation as to how certain aspects turned out the way they did. 

 

If you don't mind my asking, I have a few questions:

  • Will you have another tournament after this one (not immediately afterwards, but later down the line)?
  • Do you have a round to serve as a tie-breaker, if necessary? No need to describe it, but you may want to develop one just in case.

Even if you don't answer my questions, thank you for answering the questions in the OP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Message 3 of 6 (152 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/08/2011
Offline
3721 posts
 

Re: Co-op Tournament Questions ANSWERED

Dec 5, 2012

JD-- wrote:

AliMakaveli wrote:

 

I cannot move my camrea away to see enemies in my blind spots at ANY point as I may miss some important events. E.G. JD meleeing/Riot Shield Killing an enemy on Quiet Riot. That's a crucial moment. Why? Because during the actual recording I did NOT spot it and thought JD has defo won the challenge hands down, however after reviewing it, I noticed it.

 

 


*snaps fingers* Darn it, so close. Smiley Sad


I remember congratulating you, as I belived at the time you had it in the bag. I only spotted it during editing. You had the fastest time too.

Message 4 of 6 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/08/2011
Offline
3721 posts
 

Re: Co-op Tournament Questions ANSWERED

Dec 5, 2012

Toxic156 wrote:

Thanks for clearing things up, Ali. Your co-op tournament has been incredibly creative so far, and it's nice to see some explanation as to how certain aspects turned out the way they did. 

 

If you don't mind my asking, I have a few questions:

  • Will you have another tournament after this one (not immediately afterwards, but later down the line)?
  • Do you have a round to serve as a tie-breaker, if necessary? No need to describe it, but you may want to develop one just in case.

Even if you don't answer my questions, thank you for answering the questions in the OP.


I hope to have another tournament set up soon (sometime next year) I have learned a lot from this tournament and I have a few great ideas for challenges lined up which shall forever remain a secret until I anounce a "season 2"

 

I do have a tie breaker on hand in case some miracle occurs and two or even 3 players are tied at the end Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6 (143 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/26/2010
Offline
2290 posts
 

Re: Co-op Tournament Questions ANSWERED

Dec 5, 2012

AliMakaveli wrote:

JD-- wrote:

AliMakaveli wrote:

 

I cannot move my camrea away to see enemies in my blind spots at ANY point as I may miss some important events. E.G. JD meleeing/Riot Shield Killing an enemy on Quiet Riot. That's a crucial moment. Why? Because during the actual recording I did NOT spot it and thought JD has defo won the challenge hands down, however after reviewing it, I noticed it.

 

 


*snaps fingers* Darn it, so close. Smiley Sad


I remember congratulating you, as I belived at the time you had it in the bag. I only spotted it during editing. You had the fastest time too.


Ahh, yeah, I see. I think time should play a bigger factor (more bonus points, like gold, silver, or bronze time requirements for bonus points) in who comes out on top in the challenges.

Message 6 of 6 (139 Views)
Reply
0 Likes