Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: All Competitive - Consolidate 10-player modes into a single playlist!

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

Huskers1598 wrote:

I edited my reply with a quote. Read that and I think you will agree that he's talking about team balancing, not selective matchmaking by legacies.

I read Eric's reply from the very first moment that he posted it and I doubt that he's talking about team balancing AFTER players are found.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 61 of 171 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
216 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

Huskers1598 wrote:

I edited my reply with a quote. Read that and I think you will agree that he's talking about team balancing, not selective matchmaking by legacies.

I read Eric's reply from the very first moment that he posted it and I doubt that he's talking about team balancing AFTER players are found.

Hmm... I guess we'll find out soon.

Message 62 of 171 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

Why are you guys so much concerned about multiple voting screens?

Let's say that each voting screen lasts for 5 seconds (I think it is 15 secs currently, which is way too long IMHO). That's 3 x 5 = 15 secs in best scenario and 4 x 5 = 20 secs in worst case scenario (TDM with Airstrip/London, so an extra voting screen for intros). That's not a lot of time, especially if you chat with friends. You would need another 40-50 secs to load the map/skin assets, so you would only waste around 1 minute for that stuff.

To be honest I like the concept of intros (the implementation is poor though, especially in London), but I want people to have choices. I never asked ND to remove them, although many people wanted that. So, voting for them is the best compromise.

@Huskers

Matchmaking always tries to search for players with similar criteria (Default or DLC maps, low ping etc.) That's how it always worked, with certain criteria. They will just ditch the low ping factor and add Legacies in its place. They did the same in UC2 MP, when people complained about vets steamrolling noobs. Remember?

Team balancing is not an option for parties, since it would split them (do you want that? it already happens anyway and they plan to fix that). Team balancing for randoms could potentially hurt their tournament tickets' revenue (sad, but true).

ps: "We never had levels 76-99 in the game." <-- Yeah right! http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111127193247/uncharted/images/archive/0/00/20120417165623!Dr...

you're trying to unite people.  some people only want to play certain game modes.  others will play anything.  It's easy to connect those that will play anything with those that won't, but impossible to force those that won't to play anything.  Much simpler to have an all modes random playlist that shares pools with each game mode pool.

if you are willing to play anything...why not go random? 

Message 63 of 171 (301 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

An All Competitive playlist that would share pools with other playlists? How would that work exactly from a technical standpoint and where's the benefit lag-wise if we would still have so many separate player pools for 10-player modes?

Yes, I'm trying to unite people for the sake of less lag. It's not an easy task.

I don't want All Competitive to be yet another playlist. Hell, I never even wanted Lab, Elimination or Classic as separate playlists in the first place. I hate fragmentation and lag at all costs, but maybe that's just me. I want All Competitive to be the go-to playlist for 10-player modes.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 64 of 171 (291 Views)
Splicer
42 posts

Sep 28, 2012
i have no first hand knowledge of uc3's networking infrastructure, so for me to call that simple was stupid.

the benefit lagwise is if you just want to play "any game" you'd be searching ping based no matter the game mode theoretically leading to less lag. ex: if your playing TDM and everyone in your area is playing FFA. You'll never meet. If they are playing FFA, and you select "quickmatch/whatever" you'd connect with them cause they're the closest game.
Message 65 of 171 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
216 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

An All Competitive playlist that would share pools with other playlists? How would that work exactly from a technical standpoint and where's the benefit lag-wise if we would still have so many separate player pools for 10-player modes?

Yes, I'm trying to unite people for the sake of less lag. It's not an easy task.

I don't want All Competitive to be yet another playlist. Hell, I never even wanted Lab, Elimination or Classic as separate playlists in the first place. I hate fragmentation and lag at all costs, but maybe that's just me.

He's saying add another playlist that only filters into other playlists, based on whichever mode has players with the best connection at that time. This would help lag for all players (especially those in the all modes playlist) , because more of matchmaking is based on ping/connection and less based on mode. I just said "based on" too many times didn't I? XD

Message 66 of 171 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4394 posts

Sep 28, 2012
Welcome back. Awesome idea.

Would you do something about map weight? After all, we all want to play DLC maps sometime.
Ho Ho Ha Ha
Message 67 of 171 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Sep 28, 2012

capn_plasm wrote:

the benefit lagwise is if you just want to play "any game" you'd be searching ping based no matter the game mode theoretically leading to less lag. ex: if your playing TDM and everyone in your area is playing FFA. You'll never meet. If they are playing FFA, and you select "quickmatch/whatever" you'd connect with them cause they're the closest game.

Uhm, that doesn't make any sense. :\

Why? Because TDM are FFA are totally different modes. Different player counts and also you cannot play FFA if you are partied up.

I specifically said that 3TDM, FFA and Hunter would still have separate playlists and player pools, because it's impossible to merge them.

Please try to think the technical implications of your proposals. I put a lot of thought in the OP and tried to think of every possible implication.

Message 68 of 171 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Sep 28, 2012

FredFai wrote:

Would you do something about map weight? After all, we all want to play DLC maps sometime.

1) Equal weight for all maps.
2) Remove intro maps and implement intros' voting for them.
3) Remove Default maps from the DLC map rotation algorithm.
4) If Sony/ND decides that DLC maps should become free for everyone (through a Title Update, so that they cannot be deleted!), then they should also remove the DLC toggle. It wouldn't be needed anymore.

Message 69 of 171 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
216 posts

Sep 28, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

capn_plasm wrote:

Uhm, that doesn't make any sense. :\

Why? Because TDM are FFA are totally different modes. Different player counts and also you cannot play FFA if you are partied up.

I specifically said that 3TDM, FFA and Hunter would still have separate playlists and player pools, because it's impossible to merge them.

Please try to think the technical implications of your proposals. I put a lot of thought in the OP and tried to think of every possible implication.

The same idea can be applied to anything, however you want to make it. You could make it an all multi-teamate competitive modes playlist which doesn't include 3TDM or FFA. Does that answer your question?

Message 70 of 171 (259 Views)
0 Likes