Sep 10 2012
By: SouthpawLP Treasure Hunter 4595 posts

+8 X-Ray Vision Meters hats: basically Ping, but the enemy names don't blink.

[ Edited ]
66 replies 5886 views Edited Sep 10, 2012

You know, I thought that I would be fine with the stats hats and all, but as I finally unlocked one of them in Plunder a few nights ago, I decided to check out what it was like to use one. I unlocked the Explorer Hat for the custom hero and villain, and as I checked the custom hero to equip it on him, I noticed what stats it gave.

+8 X-Ray Vision Meters

-5% Rate of Fire

I was quite surprised. Getting this hat took me about seventy games of Plunder without using Treasure Hunter Gold, but it felt awfully quick to unlock for a hat that gives the effects of a $100,000 paid booster. I was very disappointed with the "downside" of the hat due to the fact that 10% and 5% changes to any mechanic of a gun really makes no real difference to its performance (see: M9 blindfire accuracy "nerf" from 1.13, first ROF M9 "nerf" in 1.14). Even on an M9 without a ROF mod (the most popular gun in the game right now), the "decrease" does hardly anything, but even if it did the rate of fire decrease would also indirectly cause a recoil decrease, and like the M9 already doesn't have low enough recoil, amirite?

I've been screwing around in Plunder a lot lately, getting out all my pent-up inner douchebaggery by killfarming with Flynn's M9 and Quick Boom, while going for various trophies (Boom Goes The Dynamite, Every Day I'm Tauntin', From All Angles, and It's Good To Be King). So imagine this: you have an enemy using the best long gun for blindfiring and best pistol for blindfiring (which I use all the time anyways), Quick Boom, and now on top of all of that, they have a hat that gives an expensive paid booster's effects for free in every match, so now they have all the equipment they need to hug a wall, wait for you to pass by, and then do an incredibly quick four shots + punch and kill you more quickly than a ROF M9. Now, in these Plunder matches, I used Daredevil to get some free ammo while I was taunting anything that moved. But imagine if I was using Bargain instead. Now imagine I bought Paid Bargain, too. Here's a recap of what that loadout would look like:

Flynn's M9

Jade Para 9

Cloaked Gold

Bargain Gold

Paid Bargain

Quick Boom

+8 X-Ray Vision Meters

I don't know how much the X-Ray Vision hats' Rate of Fire decrease affects the AK-47 (probably not much, either), but they definitely don't affect semiautomatics nor do they do anything to make a noticeable difference to the M9's base rate of fire. But I guess the real question is: "do the hats actually have the same radius as Ping?" And I can safely say: yes. They do. You can detect someone from the same distance of Ping, if not slightly shorter (but again, "slightly" really does not make much of a difference when it comes to balance changes). There's one major difference from the $100,000-per-use paid booster and the stats hat that can possibly come for free if you killfarm in Plunder with Treasure Hunter Gold for a few hours: Ping's SA effects have blinking names, like the Gotcha kickback. The X-Ray Vision hats' SA effects do NOT have blinking names, like Situational Awareness itself in Uncharted 2 and the Exposed power play (albeit from a smaller distance, of course).

Giving such a great advantage like Ping, in a stat hat you can use every match without eating up in-game cash, is one thing. Then giving it an upgrade to guarantee you're going to see someone's name from eight meters away is another. But the people who programmed the X-Ray Vision hats took it one step further by giving a hardly noticeable downside at all, at least for the best blindfiring rifle in the game (and if you care that much about CQC that you'll use Flynn's M9 on top of your Jade/Marlowe's Para 9, you'd probably benefit from the X-Ray Vision hats greatly).

So what's the moral of the story? Well, it's not "nerf the M9" or "nerf the Para 9", since asking ND for weapon changes seems a little moot since they took this long to give the ROF M9 an actual nerf and I highly doubt they're going to continue changing the weapns nearly a year after their multiplayer launched off. I can't really say "nerf the stats hats/remove all hats' stats" because then somebody's going to come along and say "well some people paid for it, so nerfing them would be a rip-off for the people who paid for them". All I can say is, for Uncharted 4, please Naughty Dog, abandon stats hats as well as the whole SA idea. We seriously have SA in the form of a weapon mod, two Slot 1 boosters, one Slot 2 booster, a paid booster, a power play, a kickback, and now we have SA in even more forms thanks to X-Ray Vision and Call Out hats. We don't want any of it. In the meantime, I'll be using Cloaked to negate the effects of probably the most unbalanced stats hat + weapon combo in the game (unless someone can prove me wrong with the 3D Glasses/Bird's Nest + FAL-SS...). Too bad my opponents will still have an aimable KAL-7, though.

Message 1 of 67 (5,886 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4570 posts

Re: +8 X-Ray Vision Meters hats: basically Ping, but the enemy names don't blink.

Sep 10, 2012
I heard that it cripples the FAL by making It jam a lot more Smiley Sad

But I lost my hat since my ps3 froze when I unlocked it Smiley Sad

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 2 of 67 (5,870 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Re: +8 X-Ray Vision Meters hats: basically Ping, but the enemy names don't blink.

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2012

There will always be ways to be a scrub, no matter how balanced the game is.

However I think they should just take all stats completely away from these head items. A stat-toggle isn't enough.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 3 of 67 (5,865 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4595 posts

Sep 10, 2012

shadowlibraboy wrote:
I heard that it cripples the FAL by making It jam a lot more Smiley Sad

But I lost my hat since my ps3 froze when I unlocked it Smiley Sad

It definitely does nothing to the Para 9, since that gun has the exact sort of jamming/fire rate rhythm as the FAL-SS and I've had no such issues with the Para 9. I think it's a myth.

Message 4 of 67 (5,865 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Sep 10, 2012
Someone tl;dr this for me
I know you're looking at my posts GS2
Message 5 of 67 (5,841 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Sep 10, 2012
yes!!, that is a problem
Message 6 of 67 (5,809 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6452 posts

Sep 10, 2012

-5% RoF makes the FAL jam a lot more. I'm the person who was telling people that because I found it really did. It also noticeabley slows down the AK and the GMAL. I agree that for the M9 it really makes no difference, and I don't remember trying it with the Para9.

I've checked the range of this +8 X-Ray meters and it's so short that it really only helps you see people that are about to come around corners. At that point you can just sit in a corner and angle your camera to almost the same effect. All this hat does is make the brokeness of blindfire far more evident.

Message 7 of 67 (5,720 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4595 posts

Sep 10, 2012

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

-5% RoF makes the FAL jam a lot more. I'm the person who was telling people that because I found it really did. It also noticeabley slows down the AK and the GMAL. I agree that for the M9 it really makes no difference, and I don't remember trying it with the Para9.

I've checked the range of this +8 X-Ray meters and it's so short that it really only helps you see people that are about to come around corners. At that point you can just sit in a corner and angle your camera to almost the same effect. All this hat does is make the brokeness of blindfire far more evident.

It certainly makes no difference on the Para 9. But hey, why use this with a FAL when you can use a headshot damage-boosting hat for that and get the FAL's old 4HK back?!

Having played it in actual matches it's way more helpful than seeing people that are about to come around corners. The hat has the same range as Ping and has helped me detect people from the zipline room to the T-Bolt hallway in Chateau and other various parts of maps which Ping is useful for.

Message 8 of 67 (5,712 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6452 posts

Sep 10, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

It certainly makes no difference on the Para 9. But hey, why use this with a FAL when you can use a headshot damage-boosting hat for that and get the FAL's old 4HK back?!

Having played it in actual matches it's way more helpful than seeing people that are about to come around corners. The hat has the same range as Ping and has helped me detect people from the zipline room to the T-Bolt hallway in Chateau and other various parts of maps which Ping is useful for.

I was using the using the Horns for the Desert Agent (I like how they look) but they have +12% stopping power and -5% RoF and so I couldn't use it with the FAL or AK and so I stopped using that item that I love so much :/

The distance you're describing seems very far.... I was testing it out in a custom and it seemed like it covered half the distance you're describing. I'm pretty sure it doesn't show up in Cinema either and everyone's name shows up instead so I can't record any of this to compare distances.

Message 9 of 67 (5,679 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
330 posts

Sep 10, 2012

So does X-Ray booster show STEADY names through walls? So is it even better than Ping?
Wow...

It seems like ND loves Situational Awareness so much that they have to put it everywhere... I remember before the game was released they said "there won't be any form of SA in this game"...
I don't think SA is definitely, always, anyway, 100% unbalanced. It CAN be in a game if you "balance" it. But let's see what we have in UC3:

-Exposed: Yes, a TDM Powerplay and probably the LESS annoying, since I guess you don't wanna be Marked... and no one wants to talk about DD.

-Let me See: More than balanced. You don't wanna die 2 in a row to get 1 kill. Also, you have to sacrifice the best booster slot. Actually, it can be a good booster for Plunder, if you're facing a great team. Since you're gonna die a lot, you can protect the idol carrier better with this booster.

-For my Buddy: Fine if you're not using a noob buddy as lure. Horrible and scrubby.

-Gotcha: It's a Kickback and it's fine. You can't say it's a problem when so many OFFENSIVE Kickbacks are in this game...

-Ping!: Unbalanced. An additional booster ALWAYS active? The fact you must pay for it doesn't "balance" it. It just makes it less used

-X-Ray: I thought it was like "Ping", it seems to be even worse...

If X-Ray is like this... that's a big BS. Like you said, I hope UC4 will be nice. Really.

0 Likes