Hekseville Citizen
365 posts

Re: 2 New Modes Yet 0 Lessons Learned

Jan 28, 2013

A tribute to one of the rarest occurences in the online world...

Good Guy Greg: Respect talk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Naughty Dog,
__I have sat idly by for too long. You will NOT stand in the way of destiny! I will be in Co-Op Arena!
_____________________________________________Lots of love,
_________________________________________________Lazarevic
Message 31 of 40 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jan 30, 2013

If ND plays their cards right with F2P, they will bring more microtransactions that will satisfy everyone (i.e. separate modes for Co-op fans and more loadout slots for Competitive fans).

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 32 of 40 (232 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

^I hope this is the "big surprise" they've been talking about. I hope the surprise wasn't the new dodge-ball lab

Message 33 of 40 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Zombies is not what makes Call of Duty. It has less than 15% of the public match population.

The fair matchmaking, the fact you can get in a game in 5 seconds, the fact you can´t corner shoot whatsoever (meaning if you are shooting someone he can shoot you back unlike the hoardes of corner huggers wall kissers in Uncharted) the perfect lobby, glitch free games, the customization and how easy the game is, those are the things that makes CoD have 500k players on any give day on any platform, despite all its problems like the poor graphics and the hacks and some awful designed maps.

About Elimination, I don´t have a clue why it´s back. Only a handful of players played it on UC2. People were asking to be back just for the sake of asking, just to have everything they had in UC2 back in UC3. These people couldn´t care less about better mechanics as long as they had elimination and pink pants on their Drake. I knew from a mile away Elimination wouldn´t keep the player pool alive, not even talking about attracting more players. It´s a dead dumb mode in its essence.

It´s a shame NaughtyDog listen to these dumb***** instead of listening to people like tripleWRECK about game and mechanic changes.

Message 34 of 40 (206 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Jan 30, 2013
What did tripleWRECK suggest on mechanic changes? I honestly don't know who this guy is besides causing some heavy drama on some tournament, but I've seen really awesome ideas from new peeps.

Also: If ND wanted to keep TDM intact (for no reason besides having a TDM) we could've merged HC, Classic and Elimination instead of making two new modes.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 35 of 40 (200 Views)
Survivor
2348 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Cruel_Heathcliff wrote:

Call of Duty...  the fact you can´t corner shoot whatsoever 

pretty sure cornershooting came from cod, and don't BS me about you not being able to do it, i did it back when cod4 was considered 'new' and i've seen it for every cod game since then (except blops 2 (which i haven't played yet, but i suspect it's no different))

Message 36 of 40 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Jan 30, 2013

canadian94eh wrote:

Cruel_Heathcliff wrote:

Call of Duty...  the fact you can´t corner shoot whatsoever 

pretty sure cornershooting came from cod, and don't BS me about you not being able to do it, i did it back when cod4 was considered 'new' and i've seen it for every cod game since then (except blops 2 (which i haven't played yet, but i suspect it's no different))

No you didn´t. It´s impossible to corner shoot a FPS. Your gun has to be totally out of the corner for you to shoot someone therefore the body of your skin is out as well so your foe can shoot you back. gun = body in FPS, even if just your head is standing out.

In TPS your gun can be out of the corner and the body of your skin isn´t. And that´s why FPS is much more popular than TPS.

Message 37 of 40 (189 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Jan 30, 2013
I'm pretty sure the reason it's popular is because it started the whole killing schtick. Not because of having "fair" gameplay mechanic.

I mean, if spinning around and blindfiring a rifle and actually getting a kill is a fair mechanic, sure.

What I do love about FPS? Knives. Those are awesome. I love owning people (with skill) using knives.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 38 of 40 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Jan 30, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
I'm pretty sure the reason it's popular is because it started the whole killing schtick. Not because of having "fair" gameplay mechanic.

I mean, if spinning around and blindfiring a rifle and actually getting a kill is a fair mechanic, sure.

What I do love about FPS? Knives. Those are awesome. I love owning people (with skill) using knives.

If you asked around why FPS is more popular, the most likely answer would be because in TPS the enemy sees and kills you while you can´t see him. A guy can kiss a wall for minutes then you are walking down a path he jumps out like a happy meal surprise or just corner shoot you to death. That doesn´t fly in FPS. If you stand against a wall all you see is the wall.

Both have pros and cons like you have a lot more camera freedom with a TPS. But in the end I can see why most prefer FPS even if that´s not my choice. It´s a lot easier. The mechanic is more smooth. If that´s the case about starting it then Quake and Counter Strike would be more popular than CoD.

Message 39 of 40 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Jan 31, 2013
Both of those games were popular back then and CS is still popular now.
Message 40 of 40 (140 Views)
0 Likes