Highlighted
Jan 25 2013
By: AliMakaveli Treasure Hunter 3721 posts

2 New Modes Yet 0 Lessons Learned

39 replies 852 views Edited Jan 25, 2013

What makes COD addictive? 

What do you always here COD fans utter in public?

1 Word... 

"Zombies"

This is the term used for a Co-op game in COD which many of their fans play religiously.

The addiction never seems to fade, as it has 3 main things that make the mode so lovable

1. Play Alone/Self Revive
  2. Able To Beat Your Record (Unlimited Playtime)
  3. Play On Whilst You're Downed (More Tactics)

Since U2 Co-op fans of the Uncharted series which is BETTER (IMO) than COD have asked for these features. Mainly a stand alone Survival Mode with tons of rounds or Unlimited mode for unlimited fun.

However, CMP fans (rightfully, as it's their right to ask) begged asked for a Classic Mode and Elimination which are evidently the most played modes in Uncharted history Smiley Indifferent.

I find it hilarious that 2 modes that got asked for got made and totally abandoned, whereas a stand alone (tried, tested and LOVED/Unlimited survival mode which would've seen an influx of older players and ones who would've still played it religiously never got made.

I know of many players who used to play Survival non stop (me included) until U3 was released and we got used to the perks of U3 so going back was never the same. However had we had what we had in U2 (Survival Only) then I could guarantee Co-op players would never bore of it.

There would have been TONS of EXCITING and CREATIVE Tournaments and challenges built around it, but no.

Well ND, you tried to please your CMP fans over and over and failed to keep them satisfied. I don't blame them, I just feel sorry for them. They want a balanced CMP and have rightfully asked for what's needed, but you failed to deliver. Players have and still do leave in their droves and you have also made Co-op players leave as well, but annoyingly blamed them for the lower numbers (player pools) and used that as an excuse to say there are not enough of Co-op players to bother making another mode (Survival)

Parable:

PlayStation fans go into GameStation looking for and asking to buy a PS3. However they are only given an Xbox 360 to buy as an option, even though the previous year all PS3 fans bought the PS2 and the NUMBERS showed it sold ALMOST the same as the Xbox. This injustice makes the PS3 fans angry and they leave in their droves. Later that day GameStation announce that they don't sell PS3's as they don't have any demand for them (there are not enough PS3 fans to buy the console).

This is what you did to the Co-op fans ND. You forced many of us to leave and then blamed us for the low player pool.

We would've been happy if you gave us at least one mode (Survival Only), unlike 2 new modes that failed miserably.

Even now there's a chance as you are (possibly) announcing F2P.

If this is the case, then sell Gold Rush, Survival and Siege as separate modes.

I'd happily pay $1/£1 for them (each) and I'm positive so will the rest of Co-op fans.

Don't make it a hat trick!! 

Message 1 of 40 (852 Views)
Survivor
2348 posts

Re: 2 New Modes Yet 0 Lessons Learned

Jan 25, 2013

AliMakaveli wrote:

1 Word... 

"Zombies"

This is the term used for a Co-op game in COD which many of their fans play religiously.

The addiction never seems to fade, as it has 3 main things that make the mode so lovable

Since U2 Co-op fans of the Uncharted series which is BETTER (IMO) than COD have asked for these features. Mainly a stand alone Survival Mode with tons of rounds or Unlimited mode for unlimited fun.

However, CMP fans (rightfully, as it's their right to ask) begged asked for a Classic Mode and Elimination which are evidently the most played modes in Uncharted history Smiley Indifferent.

I find it hilarious that 2 modes that got asked for got made and totally abandoned, whereas a stand alone (tried, tested and LOVED/Unlimited survival mode which would've seen an influx of older players and ones who would've still played it religiously never got made.

I know of many players who used to play Survival non stop (me included) until U3 was released and we got used to the perks of U3 so going back was never the same. However had we had what we had in U2 (Survival Only) then I could guarantee Co-op players would never bore of it.

There would have been TONS of EXCITING and CREATIVE Tournaments and challenges built around it, but no.

Well ND, you tried to please your CMP fans over and over and failed to keep them satisfied. I don't blame them, I just feel sorry for them. They want a balanced CMP and have rightfully asked for what's needed, but you failed to deliver. Players have and still do leave in their droves and you have also made Co-op players leave as well, but annoyingly blamed them for the lower numbers (player pools) and used that as an excuse to say there are not enough of Co-op players to bother making another mode (Survival)

Parable:

PlayStation fans go into GameStation looking for and asking to buy a PS3. However they are only given an Xbox 360 to buy as an option, even though the previous year all PS3 fans bought the PS2 and the NUMBERS showed it sold ALMOST the same as the Xbox. This injustice makes the PS3 fans angry and they leave in their droves. Later that day GameStation announce that they don't sell PS3's as they don't have any demand for them (there are not enough PS3 fans to buy the console).

This is what you did to the Co-op fans ND. You forced many of us to leave and then blamed us for the low player pool.

We would've been happy if you gave us at least one mode (Survival Only), unlike 2 new modes that failed miserably.

I'd happily pay $1/£1 for them (each) and I'm positive so will the rest of Co-op fans.

i'm all for making co-op a better experience (i've probably played co-op and competitive about the same amount of time) but i really hate having a unlimited round survival mode like they have in cod, i remember playing some matches that went over 3 hours, while all we did was just kill and kill and kill... and buy ammo / different guns... and kill and kill... over and over again until we died by being eaten, i don't see how that is so enjoyable and why people praise it so much, i personally like a limited round survival so you can actually beat it

if possible you could just have 5 extra rounds (on top of the pre-existing 10) and just have them as increasingly more difficult survival rounds, or make a mode where only certain parts of the map are available in each round to make it harder, such as in london streets, round 1: in the bar, round 2: center where the pak is, etc... just have walls blocking the exits and allow the NPCs to climb over them

Message 2 of 40 (832 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Jan 25, 2013
@Canadian,

Yes Limited will do just fine, and the addition of opening up new segments a bit like adventure will also be great.

I say around 20 Rounds should do it.
Message 3 of 40 (819 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Jan 25, 2013

AliMakaveli wrote:

1 Word... 

"Zombies"

Parable:

I was looking forward to this mode when it was speculated. I hate Treyarch with a passion. The only good Call of Duty game were Modern Warfare and MW2. Everything after that sucked. ESPECIALLY the Treyarch games, World at war, Whack 1 & 2 etc and even Inifinity Ward's only bad game was MW3. That said, Treyarch did ONE thing right. Zombies and Black ops Zombies was SO fun, and you just couldn't describe it. You would play endlessly and it was always a blast. Like anything it could get run into the ground and become boring, but it did so WAY less quicly than 10 rounds again and again. It was SO simple too. Endless waves. You don't need anything fancy like a bus or huge map (F you Dave V. You killed the only good thing about your only good game mode) you just need increasing rounds of enimies with more and more health. It's addictive, it's fun, it's something we've all wanted.

Now, lately  this week me and my sister have been playing co-op in the co-op arena playlist and we're having fun. Probably due to the fact we haven't played it in a while. It's fun when it's capped at 10 rounds, endless could only be the best thing ever made.

Message 4 of 40 (804 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3799 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

canadian94eh wrote:
i'm all for making co-op a better experience (i've probably played co-op and competitive about the same amount of time) but i really hate having a unlimited round survival mode like they have in cod, i remember playing some matches that went over 3 hours, while all we did was just kill and kill and kill... and buy ammo / different guns... and kill and kill... over and over again until we died by being eaten, i don't see how that is so enjoyable and why people praise it so much, i personally like a limited round survival so you can actually beat it

Well if you play the same match over 3 hours, then there's obviously a problem with the difficulty. Smiley Indifferent

I prefer unlimited survival more (but limited is fine too), after all, the point of survival is to test *how long* you can survive. And what do you do after you get a great record? You try to beat it of course!

I currently can't think of any game (that had survival mode) where I've managed to stay alive hours and hours, because those games are HARD!

Take Dead Nation for example (GREAT zombie game btw, I REALLY recommend it). I still haven't been able to finish the survival mode in it. It has 10 rounds IIRC and I ALWAYS fail around round 8 or 9.

Message 5 of 40 (720 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2348 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

Alluboy_ wrote:

canadian94eh wrote:

Well if you play the same match over 3 hours, then there's obviously a problem with the difficulty. Smiley Indifferent

I prefer unlimited survival more (but limited is fine too), after all, the point of survival is to test *how long* you can survive. And what do you do after you get a great record? You try to beat it of course!

I currently can't think of any game (that had survival mode) where I've managed to stay alive hours and hours, because those games are HARD!

Take Dead Nation for example (GREAT zombie game btw, I REALLY recommend it). I still haven't been able to finish the survival mode in it. It has 10 rounds IIRC and I ALWAYS fail around round 8 or 9.

i didn't even know dead nation had a survival mode, i guess i was too pre-occupied with not being able to get platinum for it, then again you really do need another good player to help you out, it would have made it a whole lot easier (i only played it by myself)

idk i guess i have a different opinion about what is rewarding, to me, beating something on the hardest difficulty would be more rewarding than breaking your highest score or your best time (i always hated trophies that you were time restricted)

Alluboy_ wrote:

that's the problem with cod all the "serious" players (unfortunately the people i was playing with) would have strategies to the game so after each round or so we had to leave a crawler  (really slow zombie (blown off the legs)) so we could set up for the next round, i don't see how a mode like that would be any fun (it really turned me off all other forms of zombies, i really didn't see the whole point of them, i even blew off about half a year after hearing about the walking dead, not to watch it, but eventually i did and thought it was a pretty good tv show, i have shows that i would rather watch, but i still keep up with it)

Message 6 of 40 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3799 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

canadian94eh wrote:

Alluboy_ wrote:

canadian94eh wrote:

i didn't even know dead nation had a survival mode, i guess i was too pre-occupied with not being able to get platinum for it, then again you really do need another good player to help you out, it would have made it a whole lot easier (i only played it by myself)

idk i guess i have a different opinion about what is rewarding, to me, beating something on the hardest difficulty would be more rewarding than breaking your highest score or your best time (i always hated trophies that you were time restricted)

The survival-ish mode is in Road of Devastation DLC. You can choose 1 of the 3 paths in each round, and each path has different enemies and items. There's weapon and grenade route, money and health route, and finally, the armor and multiplier route.

It's great mode btw, AND hard. They added easier difficulty for it too some time ago. It's exactly the same as the original survival, except that it's slightly easier and rounds are reduced from 10 to 6 (or 7, can't remember), and I can only beat it on that difficulty.  Smiley Very Happy

Funny, I actually found DN to be easier alone. When I played it with my bro, I died many, many times. Alone, not so much.

Edit: HOLY smokes! I was looking for a clip of the mode and I noticed there was video where someone was in round 29. So I guess IT IS actually unlimited, not round 10 like I first thought! Awesome.

Here's some gameplay if you're interested (first round).

Message 7 of 40 (709 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2348 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Alluboy_ wrote:

Funny, I actually found DN to be easier alone. When I played it with my bro, I died many, many times. Alone, not so much.

weird, i kept getting **bleep**ed by massive hoards of zombies while playing alone, i always assumed it would be easier in co-op

Message 8 of 40 (703 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3799 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

canadian94eh wrote:

Alluboy_ wrote:

weird, i kept getting **bleep**ed by massive hoards of zombies while playing alone, i always assumed it would be easier in co-op

The problem in Co-op is that zombies are tougher, which means that you'll be wasting more time (and ammo) killing them. But alone, it's faster, you consume less ammo etc. etc.

Also weapons that already felt a bit weak, are even weaken in Co-op because of the increased health. You need to upgrade weapons a lot and you sure as hell can't afford to upgrade all of them. That's why it's good idea to think with your partner that who upgrades what. For example, my brother chose Shotgun, Rocket launcher, Grenade, Mine and SMG. I went with Shotgun, Blade cannon, Shock cannon, Flare and dynamite (Turret too if we played DLC).

Then, if we had extra money, we would buy rest of the stuff.

Here we are talking about DN! Smiley Very Happy

Oh and if you're ever interested in DN (buy that DLC naow!), let me know. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 40 (689 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14202 posts

Jan 25, 2013

The Survival thing is vitally important.

I don't like Gold Rush or Siege.. They are boring.

Survival is awesome though. I mean if I really want to carry an idol I'll play Plunder. If I want to stand around in a hill.. Well.. I never do want to but I'd play objectives.

People play the game for two main reasons, exploration / shooting. The two modes in co-op offer very little exploration or shooting opportunities making them not fun for anyone to play. the only way you can enjoy those rounds is to completely ignore the objective.

Which leads to frustration for everyone else taking part.

Mashing up the modes is the reason why I prefer Adventure over Arena. Adventure you get to kill things and you have no silly hill and for the majority of the time you don't get silly objectives to be completing in a non objective playlist.

Message 10 of 40 (648 Views)
0 Likes