Apr 20 2010
By: JayLowe Sackboy 595 posts

Elimination

8 replies 14 views Edited Apr 20, 2010

I haven't posted properly in a while and I've recently been thinking of a topic that hasn't been discussed much around here - plus it'd be nice to talk about something that isn't 1.04/1.06/1.07 related, although I know that will sound rich coming from someone who has been fairly vocal about the updates in the past.

Anyhow, Elimination isn't something I've played a lot of at all. Only recently while I've been playing Ranked. And even then it doesn't come up much, as it doesn't seem to be that popular with people.

I had a really good game on it earlier, though. I managed to go 11-0 over three rounds, which is pretty good considering the maximum score I could have achieved is 15.-0. Even better was the fact that, in the first game, I found myself at a severe disadvantage - four of them and only one of me. I usually HATE that, it's why I have tended to avoid Elimination until recently, because I hate the fact that people are watching me and all hopes are on my shoulder for the win.

The Fort is the worst map for it, I feel, as a lot of people just conrer shoot from afar and hang back. I prefer to play it on maps like Train Wreck, Village, etc., where it's a lot more action packed.

Another reason I used to avoid Elimination is the fact that I'm far too gung-ho. I hate staying in the same spot for more than a couple of seconds. I just go for it, which obviously isn't a good tactic to have in Elimination.

Anyways, I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on Elimination, the somewhat forgotten mode, as it's rarely talked about.

What are your favourite/least favourite maps for this mode? Your best score? Your tactics/playing style? Are you like me and hate that people are watching you and relying on you to pick up a win for the team?

Message 1 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Yeah, it'd be cool if more Elimination specific medals we...

Apr 20, 2010

Yeah, it'd be cool if more Elimination specific medals were added, such as surviving all rounds, or simply upping the money earned on each kill if possible? Kills are obviously a lot harder to come by in Elimination, and each one is obviously a lot more important than a normal kill, so it'd ne nice if that was rewarded with extra cash. It'd help to make the mode more popular as well, because the time it takes (usually the same as DM) to earn such a little amount of cash is a huge deterrent for most people.

Message 2 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

My Thoughts

Apr 20, 2010

I enjoy Elimination mode, but don't find myself playing it too often. People usually vote for Deathmatch RPGs and the like.

Just yesterday, though. I had an amazing 1st round. I kept killing people, while my teammates kept dying. I had 3 kills, and it was just me and someone else. In my mind, I wanted to go for a Wipe Out. I am running around, and open up to scores, to find out that my teammate and another enemy had killed each other. Oh well for that, I thought. Nevertheless, I ran around for about a minute, until I found the last guy, who I quickly killed. I never considered myself a great player, but this made me feel so cool. =]

As for my play style? I usually go away from the crowd, being a lone wolf. The Temple comes to mind; all my teammates go toward the Hammer room, while I go up to the RPG room. I like to get stealth kills, pull downs, and kick offs - this is actually for any mode. Oh, and recently, I've found that I enjoy a delicious BBQ. Other than that, I just play them as them come.

While I do enjoy a good Elimination match, my biggest gripe with this mode is that you can have some of the most amazing matches, but only end up with $500. ND, would it be possible to get more cash out of this mode? 

EDIT: Funny story! I'm a level 50, and JUST found out last night that your teammates can't hear you once you're dead! I was talking to them, and I guess coincidentally they were heading toward where I was telling them the last guy was camping. I kept talking, until one of the other team's 60's asked me who I was talking to and told me that they couldn't hear me. Hahaha.

Message 3 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
327 posts

My Opinion

Apr 21, 2010

Yea Elimination is a great game mode to play if i am feeling for the more strategical/tactical play style. Personally I see each game mode as a different mode setting: Deathmatch (lone ranger, rambo-style), Elimination (slow going, tactics), Plunder (teamwork, defensive) Objectives ( a mix of strategy, teamwork, and rambo), and then Co-op (when your sick of the spawns)...but thats a whole other story. I think the best maps for Elimination would be Trainwreck and Flooded Ruins ( i love going up to the tippety top and just scoping out the whole map. The only setback personally is that it has little rewardage value-wise. I can get as much money from a whole Elim round in about 5 minutes of Deathmatch sooo yea... Thoughts Ended

Sig provided by myu2sig.com !
Message 4 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
765 posts

Hey Jay, I used to hate Elimination because I found it so...

Apr 21, 2010

Hey Jay,

I used to hate Elimination because I found it so stressful, but recently (with the past couple of unmentionable updates) I found myself playing less and less, and with the terrible spawns it wasnt worth sticking with the objectives modes.

So I switched to DeathMatch and Elimination so I only had to worry about the bad spawns instead of worrying about bad spawns + the extra objectives.

Now I've really given DM and Elimination a chance, I actually enjoy both.

I love stealth games so Elimination suits me very well, im deffinitely not the all guns blazing kind of player.

Message 5 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
462 posts

another medal for surviving all rounds other then perfect...

Apr 21, 2010

another medal for surviving all rounds other then perfect would be a horrible idea. it's not like people aren't camping enough in this mode. people would just rather sitting in a dark corner waiting out the match rather then actualy trying to win.

but yeh I also wish they would have find a way to up the cash for this one.

to me, though, Elimanation has gotten kinda repetitive. it's like somone has published a specific move set for this mode that I've missed. especially in the village, you can almost always count on one guy sunning to the sniper spot, another storming the hammer, and another one either camping at the desert spot, or camping at the pistol spawn next to the GAU, or both.

Message 6 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1801 posts

What are your favourite/least favourite maps for this mod...

Apr 21, 2010

What are your favourite/least favourite maps for this mode? I like the Lost City and The Village. Train Wreck is ok - Ice Cave and Fort, not so much... Don't think I've played elimination on the new maps yet.

Your best score?Either 10-1 or 10-2 (can't remember for sure) with a 5-0 wipeout in the first round.

Your tactics/playing style?As much as I hate to admit it, I usually use SA for Elimination. I try not to run around spamming up the whole time, but it's nice when you are looking for the last person on the other team and they're hiding out somewhere.

Are you like me and hate that people are watching you and relying on you to pick up a win for the team? I actually like this if I'm playing in a party. It's fun to talk about what just happened in the last round and/or talk to the other teammates that are watching the one that's left. And it's pretty cool when you get down 1-3 or something and come back to get the win for your team.

I used to hate elimination but after having to play it for the last batch of trophies, I kind of like it now. But, like I said, it's a lot more fun in a party than just playing with randoms.

Message 7 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

I like elimination

Apr 21, 2010

it reminds me of the good old days playing gears 1 playing execution. 

Message 8 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

Elimination could be fun if people didn't camp with SA. P...

Apr 21, 2010
Elimination could be fun if people didn't camp with SA. Plus you die in 2 seconds (you know why).
Message 9 of 9 (14 Views)
0 Likes