Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 23 2012
By: beebop483 First Son 18 posts

Role Call- Is Twisted Metal causing your PS3 to turn off/crash? It is for me.

41 replies 2313 views Edited Feb 23, 2012

I'm normally not the kind of person to go on forums to complain about a game, but I've been reading up online, and this seems to be a very really issue that's effecting a large group of people, mainly those with older phat ps3's(60gb Backwards compatable).  Here's my story:

I reserved Twisted Metal and picked it up on launch day, for the first week or so, it played fine, I'm about 80% through the single player campaign, and I've recently started playing the multiplayer.  The multiplayer was working ok for about 3 or 4 days, other than the fact that I would almost always have problems connecting to a game, even if the game had a ping of 60 or below.  Also, Just FYI my ps3 is hardwired to my router and I have a solid cable connection, my PS3 was reporting 40Mbps down and about 10Mbps up.

I was able to rank up to about level 5, then I started to see the PS3 shutdown's.  It's far more likely to happen in multiplayer than in singleplayer from what I've seen.  It's happened to me I think only once in single player, and that was after I had restarted my ps3 from being shutdown in a multiplayer game.  Otherwise my ps3 will shut down either when I'm in the lobby for a game, or shortly after the game has started.  Due to the fact that it's happening while I'm in the lobby, I don't think it's an overheating or hardware issue, since the system should be fairly idle when I'm in a game lobby.

When twisted metal shuts down my PS3, it will shut it down so that the ps3's red light will blink about once every second.  I have to hold the power button untill the light goes solid red, then I can turn it on.

Just to see if maybe my ps3 was overheating, I tried a few other games, so far MotorStorm Apocalypse and Killzone 3, both in multiplayer and single player, in 3D and 2D.  I've played both of those games for hours on end and they haven't caused a system restart.  Again, if this were an issue with my hardware, I have to think that rendering a 3d game with better graphics than twisted metal would also cause a shutdown, but so far it doesn't.

The only other odd thing to note is that twisted metal didn't really seem to start acting up untill I added some MP3's to my harddrive to create a custom playlist for the game.  After I did that, that's when the restarts became more common, although even if I switch back to the original soundtrack, I'm still getting restarts.

I think we need to start being vocal about this issue so that Sony and Dev team for twisted metal can address it.  This does not seem to be a problem with my system.  It seems to be a problem with Twisted Metal, involving my system.

Right now I have a game that I paid 60 dollars for, but I can't even play it, since I'll only get about 5 minutes of online play before it shuts my system down.  Honestly it makes me nervous to play the game, just because I doubt that having my PS3 improperly turned off on a regular basis is good for my system.

If we could get some acknowledgement from Sony about this, it would be nice. 

Message 1 of 42 (2,313 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Re: Role Call- Is Twisted Metal causing your PS3 to turn off/crash? It is for me.

Feb 23, 2012

I bought a used ps3 just for this game, it was refurbished and after an hour or so on single player it started shutting off like yours. I took it back and got a new one and it's been fine. But I find it coincedental that you mention the memory thing seeing as Dave G. did make note that they completely packed the game's memory.  Maybe there is something to this that they should look into

Message 2 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1160 posts

Re: Role Call- Is Twisted Metal causing your PS3 to turn off/crash? It is for me.

Feb 23, 2012

Jaffe's been talking to some folks on Twitter about this issue, and for the time being they can't pinpoint a cause. They were tossing around the idea that it could be either the system is too old, has too much dust in it, or if users did an HDD replacement that somehow went wrong.

A couple of suggestions that might remedy the problem:

1. If you had the demo installed prior to owning the game, delete the demo, and the demo save data/game data from the system.

2. Rebuild your PS3's database (seems to have worked for a few people) Hold down the power button until the system shuts off. Power it back on, while holding the power button, until it beeps twice, then quickly release. It should bring you to an option screen to rebuild the database. Usually takes 5-10 minutes.

I would give that a shot, if it doesn't work, the system might just be too old, which is a crappy excuse, but maybe there is something they can do about it in the future.

Good luck!

PS3 (CHECHA01) R.I.P.: 06/03/09PlayStation Plus
   Game-tape currently being solved: GuacameleePS3
Message 3 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3071 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Is your system outputting 1080p when running Twisted Metal? If so, try forcing it to output 720p instead. I was freezing a lot, I have an '09 slim. After I forced the output to 720p, I haven't froze and I've been playing much more. The box says the game supports 480p-720p. It's no wonder it's causing PS3s to crash if they're outputting 1080p when 720p is supposed to be the max. People forced their system to output 1080p with MAG and their systems got loud/hot pretty fast.

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 4 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Feb 23, 2012

My PS3 doesn't shut down, but after a few hours of play, the frame rates drop, and it slows down everything on the PS3.  It's like everything is running in slow motion, in game, XMB, across the entire PS3.   I have to shut down the PS3, and restart every time.

Message 5 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Mine crashes ocasionally. I made a thread about it a few days ago and everyone wiped their arse with it. My game crashed and it corrupted my save, so I had to start all over again. In fear of this happening again, I had to back up all my data in a thumb drive just to be safe.

My console also crashes sometimes when I go online. After searching for about an hour or more to find 2-3 matches cr4ppy matches, I get disconnected after the first 2. Either that or my game locks up.

I have a slim 160 GB.

Message 6 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Feb 23, 2012

I have a Slim 320GB and I have had no issues. Make sure you have the optional FW 4.11 update for the system, since I have that and have had ZERO issues with TM.

Message 7 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks for the info guys!

When I get home I'm going to try a few of the suggestions that have been mentioned here.

I did have the demo, and I deleted it, but I'm not sure about the save file, so I'll double check that.

I ran a database restore twice yesterday.  It seemed to help temporarily, but then the crashes started up again.

I believe that I've already downloaded the optional FW 4.11 update, but I'll double check that as well.

I'm most curious about the video resolution issue that TheLastNinja mentioned.  Before the problem became prevelant, I had moved my PS3 to a different outlet for a day or so, and it had to redetect my display.  I think it may have redetected at 1080, although originally I had it setup to output at 720p since pretty much all PS3 games are 720p native anyway.

I'll let you know if I find any fixes.

Message 8 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Feb 23, 2012

it is happening to more than enough people, and not much is been done about this. They say its less than 1% of the user base. a very very tiny percentage. so they dont care much.

Message 9 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Feb 24, 2012

Well I got home last night and tinkered with the game again.

I hadn't updated to 4.11, so I did that.

I still had a save game file and some game data from the demo on my HDD, so I deleted that.

I set my display to 720p instead of 1080p.

I rebuilt my database.

One other thing I'll mention is that I turned the heat off before I left for work yesterday, so when I came home it was 59 degrees in my house, so I turned the heat back on...this will come into play later.

So after doing the steps listed above I popped in twisted metal and went to play an online game.  It took me about 10 or 15 minutes before I was actually able to connect to a game, but once I was in, I was able to play the entire game, and was doing fine untill I eventually got kicked from the staging of a subsequent game due to 'connectivity' issues.  So far things had been going well, I had no crashes, it had been a little over an hour since I got home.  I was able to join another game room, and right before the start, my PS3 crashed again.

Now, back to the temperature in my house.  By the time the game had crashed, the heat was on for over an hour and the temp went from 59 degrees to 71.  At this point I'm almost starting to suspect an overheating issue, since the game seemed to be doing fine while my house was fairly cold, and the crash happened after the system was running for a while, and the overall room temp had increased.  I wish I had an IR thermometer so I could take readings from the CPU and GPU in the PS3 and compare temps with different games running.

One thing is for sure, Twisted Metal is the only game that's causing my PS3 to crash, so it's not like my hardware is failing in general.

It would be nice to get some acknowledgement from Sony on this issue.

Message 10 of 42 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes