Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 07 2013
By: FreshRevenge Fender Bender 4118 posts

Lara is Back and we need a Tomb Raider section again!

7 replies 278 views Edited Mar 7, 2013

Okay since the new Tomb Raider is out and many fans have started to play, like myself. I never quite understood all the Tomb Raider/Uncharted comparisions since I always thought Tomb Raider was an inspiration for Uncharted. Uncharted for me wasn't  anything awe inspiring but they provide some good hours of play. People make a big thing about the cinematic story telling is somewhat new to Uncharted and not TombRaider. Yet many of the Tomb Raider games did provide good stories or backdrops. Tomb Raider showed freaking dinosaurs as an enemy. Lara doing somesaults and fliping around and doing all sorts of crazy stunts. Sorry but I didn't see Nathan do one somesault within three games.

Now my opinion is my opinion, so I am not literally bashing Nathan Drake. I just despise all of the comparisons that this new Tomb Raider is stealing from Uncharted. That is quite a joke and an old one.

My personal thoughts is I feel that Tomb Raider is back and Lara Croft the Queen of Tomb Raiding is back and well all others can sit down and watch with drool and face the truth. Lara Croft is Tomb Raider!

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 1 of 8 (278 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48845 posts

Re: Lara is Back and we need a Tomb Raider section again!

Mar 7, 2013

FreshRevenge wrote:

Okay since the new Tomb Raider is out and many fans have started to play, like myself. I never quite understood all the Tomb Raider/Uncharted comparisions since I always thought Tomb Raider was an inspiration for Uncharted. Uncharted for me wasn't  anything awe inspiring but they provide some good hours of play. People make a big thing about the cinematic story telling is somewhat new to Uncharted and not TombRaider. Yet many of the Tomb Raider games did provide good stories or backdrops. Tomb Raider showed freaking dinosaurs as an enemy. Lara doing somesaults and fliping around and doing all sorts of crazy stunts. Sorry but I didn't see Nathan do one somesault within three games.

Now my opinion is my opinion, so I am not literally bashing Nathan Drake. I just despise all of the comparisons that this new Tomb Raider is stealing from Uncharted. That is quite a joke and an old one.

My personal thoughts is I feel that Tomb Raider is back and Lara Croft the Queen of Tomb Raiding is back and well all others can sit down and watch with drool and face the truth. Lara Croft is Tomb Raider!

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

I like your idea for a Tomb Raider section.

Who knows, maybe there even is one in the new forum layout tommorrow!   (I'm excited to see what the changes are)

Message 2 of 8 (256 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4191 posts

Mar 9, 2013

I agree, TR needs it's own section on the forums.

And IMO, Uncharted was as if the Indiana Jones movies and Tomb Raider series had a baby.

The Tomb Raider reboot is as if Uncharted and Tomb Raider had an incestuous relationship, and had a baby.

With that said, I believe this reboot put Lara Croft back on top. For now.

If there is a sequel, I can't wait to see how/if they can improve on such a great game.

This "origin" of Lara was great. A sequel just wouldn't have the same effect.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 3 of 8 (230 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24918 posts

Mar 10, 2013

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes to see the inevitable backlash. You know what I mean? The people who want to believe they are so individualistic, that when a highly reviewed game is released, they have to say things like "overrated", "disappointing", "overhyped", and then they sit back and feel self satisfied as if they've some how "sticking it to the man".

Message 4 of 8 (221 Views)
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Mar 10, 2013

This game is great. I love it. Games like these done right quickly become one of my favorites. I also agree, a seperate Tomb Raider section would be nice.

Message 5 of 8 (213 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4191 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes to see the inevitable backlash. You know what I mean? The people who want to believe they are so individualistic, that when a highly reviewed game is released, they have to say things like "overrated", "disappointing", "overhyped", and then they sit back and feel self satisfied as if they've some how "sticking it to the man".

There are already people like that on other forums. They love to point out all the things TR "stole" from and say it's not "original."

As if there is such a thing anymore. That's like saying every game after "Pong" is a thief, because you can move up & down.

IMO, those people probably didn't even play the game, let alone finish it.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 6 of 8 (209 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24918 posts

Mar 10, 2013

FreshRevenge wrote:

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

When it comes to video games, what I've noticed is that there's many people who only can make superficial comparisons and then draw conclusions. They see certain items and they can only think of one source. For example; there was a Star Trek topic around here somewhere, and someone immediately said "oh, it looks like Mass Effect". So anything with space suits and hand held energy weapons is derivative of Mass Effect? There's been space suits and hand held energy weapons since science fiction was created, probably as far back as the 1930's with Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. If anything, ALL science fiction is derived from the Saturday afternoon movie serials than anything else, whether it's written or in video game form.

I had said years ago that Uncharted draws more from things like Indiana Jones and Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels than Tomb Raider, however I don't think "gamers" are exposed to things like Dirk Pitt, and I'd hate to stereotype, and many might think that because Uncharted is a video game, it can't draw influence from other sources from OUTSIDE the game world.

I really don't have an ending here...

Message 7 of 8 (203 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
5585 posts

Mar 19, 2013
Your wish is granted! Thread moved from the Action/Adventure section.
Message 8 of 8 (132 Views)
0 Likes