Jul 18 2013
By: MaidenVelka Hekseville Citizen 339 posts

What is Teamwork?

13 replies 219 views Edited Jul 18, 2013

I've read multiple times about how this game is all about teamwork.  That is something I look forward to, but I just don't understand how it's implemented.  I've not read a satisfactory word on it yet, and nothing is stickied pertaining to teamwork.

The most confusing part about it all, for me, is that after 20 or so games, I don't see teamwork happening at all.  The objective always seems to be to kill your opponents, and as fast as possible.  When I've been on a team that has hung back to craft and hopefully revive one another, they are always met with rushing nailbats and the match is over after it has barely started.

I frankly wonder if the playerbase is hoping to get something out of this game that just isn't there.  That just can't be there.  If killing the other team wins the match, then that's all that's going to matter.  Regardless of needing to collect parts to do well in your faction, it will always be about the slaughter, because we are carrying weapons.

So, what is teamwork, and how can it be implemented?

Message 1 of 14 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

Re: What is Teamwork?

Jul 18, 2013

I actually just made a post about this.

Roll me and and Dajizzle and the truth will be revealed.

Message 2 of 14 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 18, 2013
Get some friends and don't play with randoms
Message 3 of 14 (211 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Jul 18, 2013

Yeah, teamwork is rare in games with randoms. You need to get a team of friends together, and ideally have a headset to form a strategy and co-ordinate efficiently. Move together (but not right next to each other), and have each other's backs. It's really just common sense, mostly.

Message 4 of 14 (204 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

Jul 18, 2013

Being rushed by another team may happen from time to time and if they're all 'tooled' up there is sometimes no way to avoid this but a great team will always triumph in the long run.

Crafting, gifting bombs, healing and riviving to me is more important than getting kills.

I love gifting a team-mate a molotov then seeing them equip it immediately and down an advancing opponant or reviving someone and as soon as they're back up they take down a guy who was behind you ready for the shiv.

It's moments like these that really make this multiplayer unique. Players who just run around looking for the kills/executions are missing out on the best part of TLOU. 

In a decent team you'll usually see agressive players mixed with support players watching their backs and healing as they're being shot/shooting or just waiting for the down to instantly revive. The best teams know to stick together and exactly when to attack and when to fortify their position.

Message 5 of 14 (194 Views)
Wastelander
679 posts

Jul 18, 2013

What is teamwork? Among other things…Teamwork is hard and teamwork is rewarding.

Even amongst friends true teamwork can be elusive. One teammate gets carried away, strays too far from the main group and ends up getting killed…suddenly things have changed. If the other team is working well together and the remaining players (on both sides) have similar abilities, it can be difficult to make up for the lost player – even with teamwork.

Teamwork is rare with randoms but some of my best matches have been with random players that “get” the idea behind the game:

• A match a couple of weeks ago on The Dam where the one random in our party was very aggressive but called out everything. We followed his lead, stuck together and moved constantly…we dominated the match (Supply Raid).

• A match I played last night on Lakeside. I was with a friend and we got matched with another duo. They played a style similar to ours and communicated well and often. Enemy locations were always identified…no one went off on their own and when hurt, they backed off and made sure they were healthy. No Lone Wolves and we won the match (Survivors).

Teamwork is selflessness, communication and cooperation. It is in the game…you just need the right teammates! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14 (173 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jul 18, 2013

You  seem to have really bad luck  with your matches, I only play randoms  and the majority of my matches I'm teamed with people that support each other, and don't rush  into anything. Teamwork is usually seen in Survivors because of the no respawn thing people tend to be more careful and help teammates. 

Message 7 of 14 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

Jul 18, 2013

Edorian_30 wrote:

You  seem to have really bad luck  with your matches, I only play randoms  and the majority of my matches I'm teamed with people that support each other, and don't rush  into anything. Teamwork is usually seen in Survivors because of the no respawn thing people tend to be more careful and help teammates. 

I always play with randoms as I never know when I'm going to get a minute online. There's nothing worse than starting a match and seeing yout 'team' all run off in different directions to the four corners of the map. I just shake my head as they're picked off one by one.

When people 'get it' you can still get some great matches with randoms.

Message 8 of 14 (157 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jul 18, 2013

Yeah, I've had those kind of matches too. But anyway most of the  times I have more fun than get frustrated. 

To the OP, I am playing right now and ended up going against a team that just rush to the other side and kill us freaking fast. The cool thing was  that my team responded nicely, they got it and we had to stay back on our side of the map just defending ourselves. Still we got obliterated Man Sad

Message 9 of 14 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3880 posts

Jul 18, 2013
Stay close to your team so you can revive and heal
Use the mark function when zoomed in.
Don't draw attention to yourself by sprinting everywhere.
Plan your assault.
Message 10 of 14 (118 Views)
0 Likes