Aug 09 2013
By: CyVirus I Only Post Everything 802 posts

Interactive Environment

12 replies 210 views Edited Aug 9, 2013
I would love to see some objects in the MP maps that players can interact with. For example: If you find a ladder, you can carry it and place it to get to hard-to-reach areas, just like in the SP. Also if you could move dumpsters and other similar objects to provide cover or what not. You could also search in cupboards, desks and whatever to find materials or ammo.

Just two awful ideas I would like to see in a non-existing patch.
Message 1 of 13 (210 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6196 posts

Re: Interactive Environment

Aug 9, 2013
OP.

"No matter how hard you try... I guess you can't escape the past" - Joel

Message 2 of 13 (195 Views)
Shinra Executive
42128 posts

Aug 9, 2013
Would have been nice if instead of supply boxes with everything bundled in one place, you had to search out the items like you did in single player around the map. Randomly generate the locations/items each time. Probably a limitation in doing that though.

Like the dumpster idea but the way levels are, I doubt there are really many places to push a dumpster for mobile cover in an open area where you really need it.

Message 3 of 13 (188 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6196 posts

Aug 9, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:
Would have been nice if instead of supply boxes with everything bundled in one place, you had to search out the items like you did in single player around the map. Randomly generate the locations/items each time. Probably a limitation in doing that though.

Like the dumpster idea but the way levels are, I doubt there are really many places to push a dumpster for mobile cover in an open area where you really need it.

I think I'd be too much work though... trying to do all that while having a team trying to kill you?

"No matter how hard you try... I guess you can't escape the past" - Joel

Message 4 of 13 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42128 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

Legend_Templar wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

I think I'd be too much work though... trying to do all that while having a team trying to kill you?

Would require a good team and some good coordination.  Basically, one person pushing and 2 others alongside him laying down cover and telling him when to stop and or angle the dumpster.  Could either have the 4th person hanging back sniping/marking targters or following along providing fire as well and/or healing.

Problem with this it's meaningless to have 3-4 people bunched up together in this way when a well placed molotov/bomb spells the ending/a team wipe.  Plus, you'd still be a gun down with the person pushing.

It's an interesting idea/concept in theory but not for TLoU's MP in its current form.  Would need larger maps I'd say for both ideas.  Larger maps to allow the exploration of finding items (a few houses/stores; thinking of the area just after you exit the sewers) and to allow the teams to do said exploration unlike the current 'Supply Box 1 & 2 then Engage' scenario that plays out and larger maps to make the dumpster idea worthwhile in using for open areas and to prevent the molotov/bomb nightmare happening unless the thrower is out in the open as well and the support team around the pusher doesn't drop him before he gets in range to toss.  The ladder idea also kind of plays into the larger map idea (if you have 2-3 story houses/buildings, I'd imagine it'd be safe to say you could get to other areas just as high with a ladder or even siege a house with one)..

Maybe for a sequel.  The stuff above works for a 'bigger' take on the current foundation.

Message 5 of 13 (174 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Love the idea CyVirus, I've seen windows in University and Bill's town that looked like good spots to hide out but surprised me that we couldn't access them, ladders/dumpsters would be awesome and we would be vulnerable while moving them.

And, I for one, was surprised that I couldn't pick up and beat people down with those chairs in the High School science lab Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 13 (161 Views)
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

Aug 9, 2013
Thank you for the support everyone Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 13 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4821 posts

Aug 9, 2013
Love the idea, but with the way maps are right now, I can't see it happening. Seriously, that would be really cool though.
tlousig2
Message 8 of 13 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3990 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Just imagine using a ladder to get on an upper ledge. Then pulling up the ladder.  If that ledge had cover you might never die. This would require totally different maps.

I wouldn't mind being able to push a truck (with a non running engine) down a hill. With gunners in the back. Running over your opponents on the way down the hill. It would be a one time event but fun while it lasts.

I like the idea of interactive environments, but I'm not sure how much they could do in this game. It's one of the cool thing Uncharted had that most other online shooters did not. Now everyone is doing it.

Message 9 of 13 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42128 posts

Aug 9, 2013

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:

Just imagine using a ladder to get on an upper ledge. Then pulling up the ladder.  If that ledge had cover you might never die. This would require totally different maps.

Yeah, it'd probably be poorly implemented if tacked on the current game/maps but I think marking/using listening mode to target that person and knowing where to lob your molotov/bomb would do the trick.  Or just as simple, finding a ledge opposite of him and counter-sniping.  Even crazier, add 'rope' to the game so you can tie it around your stick/pipe/melee weapon and use it kind of like a grappling hook of sorts.  Toss it up to a ledge and climb up (one or two time use).  Make this method take a longer time to do compared to the ladder so the ladder has an overall benefit but for people who isolate the ladder, others aren't exactly left out in the cold.

Message 10 of 13 (123 Views)