Jun 26 2013
By: Shadow-Man_4 Treasure Hunter 4884 posts

A note to Naughty Dog regarding balance.

[ Edited ]
65 replies 685 views Edited Jun 26, 2013

I'm seeing lots of threads about weapon balancing lately, especially the bow being overpowered threads. Well, I want to make it clear: Please Naughty Dog, donot touch the weapons, especially damage-wise!

Well, let me start by Uncharted 2, when the damage was changed for all weapons we all know how that turned out. FAIL. Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece before 1.05, which was the patch that changed damage for all weapons across all game modes. Such a change to the game in the middle of it's life cycle is a major one, and one which destroyed the game for most players.

Fast forward to Uncharted 3 and the same thing happened, with the G-MAL. It was a good weapon pre-patch, and lots of experienced players dominated with it. Since lots of people started using it, it got the "overpowered" label by the community and so it was nerfed, to death. The recoil of the weapon increased, which totally killed the weapon. Everyone switched to the M9 afterwards, and that caused more people to complain about blindfiring and Rate of Fire mod on the M9. Had a patch nerfed that too, I'm sure more people would've moaned because ND killed their "favourite" weapon. While the FAL was nerfed and that was a good change, that was an exception. It was agreed universally and I'm sure statistically speaking, LOTS of people used to use that weapon and it was really overpowered. There were no disadvantages to that weapon and so a nerf was needed.

Why am I bringing Uncharted patch histories? Well, because as noted above, most balancing changes made post release, if major, can break the whole game. That applies to The Last of Us, too.

I think we are as close as ever to a perfectly balanced game (if that exists). Each weapon has advantages in certain situations and disadvantages in others. I completely think that no weapon is overpowered at all in the current state of the game, and yes it's only been a couple of weeks since the game's release, but I've played tons of games and lots of my friends too, and I think I've played a good amount of games to pass my opinion on the most talked about balancing issues nowadays.

The bow: This is a strong, deadly weapon at mid-range and abit at short range (if hidden). Even though it takes two shots to down an enemy, those two shots are not that easy to hit. First, it has a delay between actually shooting and hitting the opponent. Don't tell me this is a small disadvantage, because it really is major. If someone is constantly moving, that opponent becomes a harder target. You have to be experienced enough to know exactly where the arrow will hit, and if that's the case, then experience =/= overpowered usage. That person stuck with the bow long enough to know how to use it. That does not mean it is overpowered. Secondly, between each bow there is a slight "reload" time for another arrrow. I know it can be upgraded, but when faced one-on-one with a Semi Auto user, it is really hard to down him before he does and that is due to both factors mentioned above + the fact that if you don't use sharpshooter, the damage flinch could be deadly. It also costs more than a regular rifle, albeit it is silenced. This means you have less loadout points to spend if you're a regular rifle user.

Revolver: The revolver has great damage and when used effectively can be very powerful mid-to-short range. However, there are drawbacks to this, too. It has high recoil, which means when shot it's hard to focus on the enemy as the high recoil + the damage flinch makes the weapon abit harder to aim with in one-to-one situations. It also has a really slow reload speed without an upgrade, and has a really slow fire rate which makes it balanced. The revolver is very loud and cannot be supressed.

9MM: Now this one is quite tricky, but even then I think it's fairly balanced. Unlike the revolver, it has a very high rate of fire and causes a strong sway to the enemy when fired. It also has a much faster reload speed than the revolver. This comes at a cost though, because it has a lower damage and that causes the clip capacity to seem smaller than the other pistol. I still think it's balanced, as in a one-on-one with a revolver, it has the advantages of fire rate and the flinching ability. The 9MM could also be equipped with a suppressor, which is advantageous.

Semi Auto rifle: Semi Auto rifle is very good at mid-range and is also effective at short range, though it could suffer abit at long range if you're not standing still. It takes 3 bullets to down an opponent, but it's rate of fire is moderate. While it has a high damage and moderate recoil/reload speed, I think the biggest drawback to the rifle is it's ammo supply. Ammo is really a problem with this rifle as you start with about 5 bullets, which means you can down two people at max before you have to search for more ammo. This I think balances this weapon out as other weapons like the bow and the hunting rifle have better starting ammo.

As you can see, each and every weapon in this game has it's pros and cons, and I think none of the weapons are in desperate need of a change. Changing something could have disastrous consequences on other parts of the game, let alone the introduction of a million patches which could break some aspects of the game you'd never expect. I think Naughty Dog did a wonderful job balancing the weapons as is, and I surely hope they donot touch any of the weapons, and if needed, just adjust them with a minor change.

If you've read this, thanks. I hope you agree, and if not, explain yourself. Let the discussion begin!

Message 1 of 66 (685 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5546 posts

Re: A note to Naughty Dog regarding balance.

Jun 26, 2013

I agree with the notion that nothing (balance-wise) should be altered. It's perfect.

Message 2 of 66 (683 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
6889 posts

Jun 26, 2013

UC3 needed all the nerfs it got because at the beginning, the game was not balanced. This game is clearly balanced. The nerfs in UC3 just weren't done properly, every nerf done in that game was warranted, just not done in the best manner.

But I agree don't nerf anything here

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 3 of 66 (660 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1992 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

OH, LOOK THIS THREAD IS UNCHARTED 2 AND 3 ALL OVER AGAIN. NERF THIS NERF THAT MAKE THIS GUN STRONGER THAN THIS GUN. BLA BLA .

Message 4 of 66 (650 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5546 posts

Jun 26, 2013
IPumpMyGun totally got this thread confused.
Message 5 of 66 (635 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1467 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

I agree. There is nothing massively gamebreaking I am seeing. I also agree with your assessment on the 9MM/Revolver.

I really do think the main game is fine the way it is.

Message 6 of 66 (620 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4595 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

IPumpMyGun wrote:

OH, LOOK THIS THREAD IS UNCHARTED 2 AND 3 ALL OVER AGAIN. NERF THIS NERF THAT MAKE THIS GUN STRONGER THAN THIS GUN. BLA BLA .

It's like he saw how much Shadow-Man had typed and decided he was gonna do the same thing that everybody does with any terms of use license agreement. Only he clicked on the "I disagree" button immediately this time.

Message 7 of 66 (611 Views)
Wastelander
639 posts

Jun 26, 2013

The word nerf gets misunderstood I think. Asking for something dramtic is a nerf to me.

Take the Semi Auto for example, I don't consider a small rate of fire decrease a nerf, it won't drastically change anything, and would make Burst Rifle 1v1 confrontations more viable, as of now the SA can get all 3 of its bullets in before a BR user can get their intial first burst in. Or ignore that approcach and add a small vertical recoil increase, so you can't just bust out 5-6 rounds without a care in the world. 

Asking for all that and a change in damage is a NERF to me. Changing it so much that people will think twice about using it. 

Every team I come up against has 2 to 3 Semi Auto users. Why? Because its painfully easy to dominate with. 

But alas, I'm done ranting on this. ND will either ignore everything (which may be for the best) or ruin the game entirely when the 1.05 patch comes Smiley Very Happy

But lets talk BUFFS!!! Nerfs are all negative, Buffs are what we need Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 66 (594 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6647 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

The Bow is too powerful for a number of reasons. It can be rapid fired extremely easily, it takes out armor in a single hit, it has virtually no reload and a pretty fast RoF for a two shot weapon, you don't have to draw your arrow all the way for full damage, the moment you start drawing your arrow it's already able to go about 80% of it's maximum range allowing rapid fire up to mid range, it has the largest ammo supply because you can collect used arrows as well as getting 3 from each killed enemy, has the largest starting ammo in terms of ammo per downs compared to any other gun, it's the cheapest silent long gun and second cheapest silent weapon in the game, you only have to lead a target at long range, if you land one shot on a running target they'll get temporarily stunned making the second shot easy, it executes in one shot, and the only time it's necessary to fully draw it is if you're sniping long range or going for a headshot. If you read that whole list and still think it's ok... then maybe read it again?

As an example I used the bow last night and at mid range rapid fired the bow to kill a guy in four shots that took maybe 3 seconds. First shot took out all his armor, next two downed him, and the last one executed. I'm sure that guy was really **bleep** after because with full health and armor he dropped like a fly, and that was without even landing a headshot or using the bow's reticle.

You forgot about the Burst Rifle and how ridiculously weak it is against armor for no apparent reason.

Message 9 of 66 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Jun 26, 2013
Balance isn't perfect but I would rather it be how it is now than what it could be.
Message 10 of 66 (571 Views)