Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 16 2013
By: s1mug First Son 9 posts

0 bar connection

16 replies 1646 views Edited Jun 16, 2013

**bleep** everygame my connection states o bars, i shoot nothing downed in 1 shot, cant nd handle fibre optic net? alwso how is matchmaking done? from euroope and ended up in a loby of usa, south africa players.

Message 1 of 17 (1,646 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Re: 0 bar connection

Jun 17, 2013
I might be wrong on this, so please feel to correct me, but I think 0 signal bars (greyed out) just means that you are hosting.
Message 2 of 17 (1,615 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
260 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Some games do that, other's put it to full bars if you are hosting. So you are right but could be wrong. It confused me too and had kinda a placebo effect on me that I was lagging. I'm on fibre optics too but wouldnt' be surprised if there was a dodgy connection after the Day 1 server errors. UC3 had full bars if you were hosting, I believe.

Hopefully ND can get us a statement, if not try the " Ask simple question, receive simply answer " thread. Someone may have already asked or may have a more sure fire answer for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 17 (1,613 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jul 1, 2013

I am also getting this randomly, I can put my finger on why as well. I will start the night by playing a few rounds and I have 4/5 or 5/5 bars and have a wonderful game. Then I get into a streak of 0/5 bar connections and I have a horrible time. I see myself being downed in less shots, shots going through walls, and other laggy items. I love the MP but the connection woes/unstability doesn't do much for me to continue to play and HAVE to play some missions to progress further in the "story" missions. 

I have tried various things from MTU settings, DNS settings, etc and I still get the variability that is driving me nuts. 

Message 4 of 17 (1,554 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6261 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

You will always see 5 gray bars next to your name. The bars are NOT the connection of players, but your connection to them. Meaning that you have 5 gray bars because you have no connection to yourself. The bars you see for everyone else are your connections to each of them.

When you see low bars for someone else it could be due to them being geographically far from you resulting in high ping, their connection being slow, your connection being slow, the hosts connection being slow, or any combination of these factors.

Instability in connection with other players throughout your gaming time can be caused by the geographic group that is primarily playing shifting throughout the day, stress on your internet provider's end due to high trafficking hours, or just random chance as the matchmaking can sometimes be very poor.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

Message 5 of 17 (1,541 Views)
Sackboy
385 posts

Jul 1, 2013

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

You will always see 5 gray bars next to your name. The bars are NOT the connection of players, but your connection to them. Meaning that you have 5 gray bars because you have no connection to yourself. The bars you see for everyone else are your connections to each of them.

When you see low bars for someone else it could be due to them being geographically far from you resulting in high ping, their connection being slow, your connection being slow, the hosts connection being slow, or any combination of these factors.

Instability in connection with other players throughout your gaming time can be caused by the geographic group that is primarily playing shifting throughout the day, stress on your internet provider's end due to high trafficking hours, or just random chance as the matchmaking can sometimes be very poor.

This, pretty much.

...except that some people have found that with the right settings on their router, they can get a ping bar to themselves.

----V^^^V----
I want my meals to think for myself
Message 6 of 17 (1,535 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6261 posts

Jul 1, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

This, pretty much.

...except that some people have found that with the right settings on their router, they can get a ping bar to themselves.

You shouldn't have a ping bar to yourself, ever. Ping is just the latency for data to be transferred over the internet between two points. So the ping to yourself should always be zero, in a practical sense. If your ping to yourself was anything other than next to nothing, it wouldn't be an internet or latency problem, but meaning that something is severely screwed up in your home network.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

Message 7 of 17 (1,516 Views)
Sackboy
385 posts

Jul 1, 2013

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

This, pretty much.

You shouldn't have a ping bar to yourself, ever. Ping is just the latency for data to be transferred over the internet between two points. So the ping to yourself should always be zero, in a practical sense. If your ping to yourself was anything other than next to nothing, it wouldn't be an internet or latency problem, but meaning that something is severely screwed up in your home network.

With the right settings on your router, you can severely screw up your home network.

I wasn't saying it's a good idea to make your ping bar light up, just that it's possible.

----V^^^V----
I want my meals to think for myself
Message 8 of 17 (1,511 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jul 1, 2013

@SKIN

Gray bars next to your name in Uncharted MP indicated your ping/latency to the host's connection.

Is that the case in TLOU MP as well?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 9 of 17 (1,458 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
391 posts

Jul 1, 2013
@tapantaola, I'm pretty sure that it is the same as uc3, most of the time I have 5 Lit up Gray bars, however playing yesterday for the first time after the patch I was experiencing zero bars like the op and most of the players I found were also zero bars although there were a couple with one or two. Gameplay was really laggy and I failed to respawn properly in a couple of games. Whether this was to do with the patch or my connection I don't know, although speed test didn't show anything unusual.
Message 10 of 17 (1,451 Views)
0 Likes