Dec 12 2011
By: lewis_carrot Hekseville Citizen 437 posts

reason for the infection and spread of the plague [theory]

3 replies 254 views Edited Dec 12, 2011

following an article by Lady Patience which i would recommend you read here i decided to do a bit of research and came up with a plausible theory (imo) on how the plague started in the Last of Us.

the cordyceps fungi in real life - a quick reminder of what it is

it's a fungus (mushroom) that infects an insect and takes control of it, forcing it to attack / kill his little friends (notably to prevent overpopulation of one species).

it grows in living organisms, lives off it and takes about three weeks to mature. After that it grows out of the insect's body and is spread via spores.

keep this cycle in mind: Spores > Infection > Gestation > Control > spores > Repeat

While it's harmful to insects it is safe for pets and humans. It's been used in Chinese medicine for cancer treatment or diabetes for example (on top of conventional treatments). In pets as well as humans.

It also boosts performances and will make you go faster: During the 1993 World Track and Field Championships, the Chinese womens' running team broke the world records in the 10,000 meter, 3,000 meter and 1,500 meter race. This raised suspicion and they later admitted to having used fungus which wasnt detected by anti-drugs tests yet.

How the infection will spread to humans - evilution of the fungi

what if, instead of growing out of its host's body, the fungus would remain inside: in its mouth for example.

it would still take control of the host but would force it to bite other insects  in order to spread (in opposition to releasing out of the insect's body, via spores).

Biting would be the best and more direct  way to infect another organism, straight into the bloodstream. We can also suppose it could be done through cuts, scratches etc...

Now, that would require a fungus that specifically attacks humans (rather than insects) but we can imagine an evolution in the fungus itself or at least in the way it is transmitted. Maybe thats another reason why scientists will struggle to understand it (as seen in UC3 screenshot)

remember the above cycle: Bite –> Infection (“Oooo, I don’t feel good.“) –> Gestation (“Yo, Frank’s dead, dude.“) –>
Control (“Wait, no he’s not.“) –> Bite (“Ahh, Frank bit my face off!“)

Another theory is that the fungi could enter through the ears at an early age, infect the brain, take control of the host, remain inside where it wouild grow and infect others through the mouth (bites again). The main flaw is i dont think someone infected at an early age could survive. Only adults could get infected this way.

Conclusion

i think the cordyceps fungi will evolve in such a way that it will attack humans or animals rather than only insects .It will live and grow inside of people and will control them to kill other people.

It will be transmitted when a host (infected body) bites someone else or comes in direct contact with them (through cuts for example)

Important Note

this thread comes in addition to this post (the first one) i made on Lady Patience's thread. please read it here .

this was my post:

you see on the newspaper screenshot from UC3 (see below) on the top right, near the barcode ther's this article called "why we love our pets". well, It's interesting to note that cordyceps fungi is notably used as a cure for cancer in pets (and humans too) in addition to conventional treatment. it is used in Chines medicine for example (see here). It was actually used on rescue dogs who searched the buildings after 9/11 and were therefore exposed to asbestos for example, making them sick with cancer.

the "scientist struggling" headline might imply that they dont understand how a natural product that used to be a cure turns out to be deadly on a massive scale.

on a sidenote a lot of people have said that te last of us trailer reminded them of the movie "i am legend". at the beginning of this movie a scientist explains that she has cured cancer, while theres no mention of cordyceps in that movie (i think) we can imagine that the reason for the outbreak was similar to the last of us: something that cures becomes something that kills.

this screenshot was taken off the website All Things Uncharted, in the article mentionned at the beginning of this post

http://allthingsuncharted.com/2011/12/the-last-of-us-first-thoughts/

Tips

get this, just in case :smileyhappy:

mwahahahaha!
Message 1 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Wow, good theory! I didnt know this fungus was real eithe...

Dec 13, 2011

Wow, good theory! I didnt know this fungus was real either, freaky.

Message 2 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
437 posts

thanks. yes it's real but it's used as a medicine so that...

Dec 13, 2011

thanks.

yes it's real but it's used as a medicine so thats actually good for us, or at least it's not harmful.

as i said it's also used to boost performances so we can expect the enemies in the game to be able to move fast i think (maybe stronger too ?)

mwahahahaha!
Message 3 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2121 posts

Faster and Stronger yes. But Intelligence, that is someth...

Dec 13, 2011

lewis_carrot wrote:

thanks.

yes it's real but it's used as a medicine so thats actually good for us, or at least it's not harmful.

as i said it's also used to boost performances so we can expect the enemies in the game to be able to move fast i think (maybe stronger too ?)

Faster and Stronger yes.

But Intelligence, that is something else.

Message 4 of 4 (254 Views)
0 Likes