Aug 14 2012
By: HorrorGod Welcoming Committee 4404 posts

"The Last of Us" Box Art

[ Edited ]
37 replies 1489 views Edited Dec 10, 2012

This is the image we've been seeing since the game was first announced last year.

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/271077brp.jpg

Naughty Dog... I just want to say. KEEP THIS.

At first, most games have a simple box art like this... Which usually ends up being better than the final cover.

But, you guys could break that trend.

It's simple, ominous, and it adds to the mystery of the game. No need to have the main characters on the cover in some awesome fancy pose. We all know what we're buying.

The only reason for an over-the-top, artsy cover, is to grab the attention of someone in the store who has yet to hear of this game. But, this box art whispers -- "Pssst.. Hey... Come flip me over and read my back cover" -- more than anything else could.

So please... Take these words into consideration.

EDIT:

Final cover-art has been revealed (12/09/12)

coverfinal

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 1 of 38 (1,489 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7356 posts

Re: "The Last of Us" Box Art

Aug 15, 2012

HorrorGod wrote:

The only reason for an over-the-top, artsy cover, is to grab the attention of someone in the store who has yet to hear of this game.

I agree that the game should have something simple like that cover. However, I doubt Naughty Dog will keep it simple, because what you said is very true: they want the box to stand out and catch someone's eye.

Naughty Dog is a tried-and-proved company, and Sony is going to advertise The Last of Us heavily. Therefore, the cover will be something so people can recognize it easily Smiley Wink

PlayStation MVP Program 2001 to 2016
Message 2 of 38 (1,464 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
864 posts

Aug 16, 2012

I agree. I prefer minimalist over gaudy, loud, and busy artwork when it comes to advertising. However, I doubt they will since they DO want to go with something eye-catching.

Message 3 of 38 (1,405 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
437 posts

Aug 19, 2012

i dont think we all know what we're buying, actually a lot of people dont,

the casual player who shops at supermarket wont necessarily know about TLOU.

so the cover needs to be eye catching or tell a story.even if it's ugly

best solution is reversible covers.
i like your idea but at the same time i feel that more can be done.

they could keep it black and white but do something else than stick the title on the cover.

i'd love it if naughty dog could make something at least as visually striking as the Resistance 3 cover art for example.

mwahahahaha!
Message 4 of 38 (1,356 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2012

I totally agree with your idea but I doubt that naughty dog will use this cover because naughty dog always prefered eye-catching box arts in their games over simple ones so naughty dog may use another box-art for the last of us which is more eye-catching so who knows what naughty dog may us, perhaps they may use a box art similar to this one:

box art.jpg

But this is just my guess and we still do not have any official news about how the box art of this game will exactly look like but I really hope they make the box art simple this time. 

Message 5 of 38 (1,350 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
864 posts

Aug 20, 2012

I like the idea of a reversible cover. I have a few older PS3 games that DO have full-bleed artwork on the other side of the cover, so it's not a crazy idea.. Shame that they do that anymore

Message 6 of 38 (1,337 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Aug 29, 2012

I like the idea of minimistic covers it does make me go "what is this about?" I don understand the need for eye popping marketing as well though. I agree with reversible covers. But naughty dog is really good at deciding how to market their products.

Message 7 of 38 (1,266 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Sep 5, 2012

A reversibal cover would be the best idea in this but I would prefer a nice simple image of the characters along with the title as the box art cover.  Or even better, Naughty Dog does a contest for fans to make the box art i say and everyone votes on their favorite.  That way the developers and fans can desided what would best showcase their game.

Message 8 of 38 (1,228 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2633 posts

Sep 10, 2012
A good idea will be to pick a shot from the game, and then..
Have one of the artist or artists hand draw the picture..

Or keep the black background and have a hand drawn picture of the two leading characters faces..
THE FAZEONES LOUNGE  2014 Home Logo
Message 9 of 38 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
870 posts

Sep 13, 2012

Yeah the logo boxart is fine and dandy like sour candy. Smiley Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 38 (1,142 Views)
0 Likes