Fender Bender
2562 posts

Re: Will there be female enemies?

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

wais_45 wrote:

I dont see why people think its not ok to blast female enemies heads off. How in the world is the bad? As people stated above, there are games that have female enemies you have to kill. Heck, couldn't you already do those things in GTA? What is TLOU about again? 

"The story is set two decades after a cordyceps-type fungus has killed millions, with nature gradually retaking the abandoned cities and towns. The survivors are hemmed inside quarntine zones, completely under the heel of the United States military, with order and screening for any Infected being viciously maintained under martial law". 

The main objective in the game is to survive, not to go kill as much female enemies as possible for the sake of it. The enemies would most likely be diverse and last time I checked females are apart of this society so the probability of females being infected or just an enemy is high. 

Female enemy survivors aren't the issue, though. I mean we already know Tess was part of a "hunter" like survivor pack, and we saw a female aiming a gun at Joel and Ellie in the latest VGA trailer. We know they'll be there. It's how "real" and "emotional" fighting the hunters is going to seem, it's already raised controversy and they're all males. Imagine beating a female's head in with a brick, I bet there would be news lines about that one. lol. Personally, I agree that female enemies would be a nice touch, since it would likely be an inevitibility in such a world. I just hope that they do it right. Yeah, you could beat up women FER DAYS in GTA, but GTA is also not exactly the most realistic and emotional adventure of a game, like this one will be. I'd rather they take a more rooted approach to female enemies, instead of just having them be punching bags and bullet fodder.

Message 51 of 58 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Jan 30, 2013
I don't think so? people will get offended so i think naughty dog is gonna play it safe and won't add women enemies in this game, but they might pull it off you never know. :0
Message 52 of 58 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2389 posts

Jan 30, 2013

dh0rmazine wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

I dont see why people think its not ok to blast female enemies heads off. How in the world is the bad? As people stated above, there are games that have female enemies you have to kill. Heck, couldn't you already do those things in GTA? What is TLOU about again? 

"The story is set two decades after a cordyceps-type fungus has killed millions, with nature gradually retaking the abandoned cities and towns. The survivors are hemmed inside quarntine zones, completely under the heel of the United States military, with order and screening for any Infected being viciously maintained under martial law". 

The main objective in the game is to survive, not to go kill as much female enemies as possible for the sake of it. The enemies would most likely be diverse and last time I checked females are apart of this society so the probability of females being infected or just an enemy is high. 

Female enemy survivors aren't the issue, though. I mean we already know Tess was part of a "hunter" like survivor pack, and we saw a female aiming a gun at Joel and Ellie in the latest VGA trailer. We know they'll be there. It's how "real" and "emotional" fighting the hunters is going to seem, it's already raised controversy and they're all males. Imagine beating a female's head in with a brick, I bet there would be news lines about that one. lol. Personally, I agree that female enemies would be a nice touch, since it would likely be an inevitibility in such a world. I just hope that they do it right. Yeah, you could beat up women FER DAYS in GTA, but GTA is also not exactly the most realistic and emotional adventure of a game, like this one will be. I'd rather they take a more rooted approach to female enemies, instead of just having them be punching bags and bullet fodder.

But I still don't understand how "blasting" female enemies heads off is offensive. If doing that to females in games are offensive then same should apply to men. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 53 of 58 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

wais_45 wrote:

dh0rmazine wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

But I still don't understand how "blasting" female enemies heads off is offensive. If doing that to females in games are offensive then same should apply to men. 

No I see what you're saying, but it's because male to female violence is largely considered a societal taboo and a low act, vs male to male violence, or female to female violence, for whatever reason. lol. Those of us who want to get immersed in the story would take in consideration that this game is 20 years down the line of post apocalyptic human "civilization" for lack of a better word, and so the taboos of today wouldn't apply, but you can't expect everyone to accept that, and thus many people will get extremely offended. Which is why I think rooting female enemies in the story would be a better option, rather than just having them be thugs that you kill on a side mission.

Message 54 of 58 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

I would be surprised if there wasn't any female enemies. Out of all the survivors Joel and Ellie run into, at least one of them has to have a female member in the group. It would be weird if there wasn't.

I wouldn't mind shooting a woman (lol, in the game), I wouldn't mind melee use against females either seeing as how it IS a video game. But I'm sure other people would find this offensive.

But everyone has to remember, once again, that this IS A VIDEO GAME. You can beat up woman in Grand Theft Auto and no one really cares about that, so I don't really see how that's an issue with the Last of Us.

-It's not like shooting a girl in the face with a shotty is going to make you want to do it in real life -_-

Message 55 of 58 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 18, 2013

Kaloskatoa wrote:

I would not like to blow women's head off with a shotgun. 

Most people would find that  very offensive. 

However, I think it would add a LOT into the immersion. Just like the little sisters add immersion to BioShock. I don't like killing little sisters, however it is GREAT that you could do it.

When you kill someone in uncharted you dont think of then as humans, they are just evil pixels. 

If you make the villans you are fighting more human, you are going to feel every death on your hands, this is exactly  what I think The Last of Us should feel like.

Joel is no hero trying to save the world. There is no bad people on his way, there are just people trying to survive their own way. No such a thing as evil pixels.

There were female raiders/killers in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

A woman can gun you down just as easily as a man can. There's nothing more offensive about shooting women than there is about shooting men.

Fifty-four Forty or Fight!!!!!
Message 56 of 58 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 18, 2013

stentryk wrote:

I'm not sexist, but having female enemies that you have to fight, would cause an outcry among the audience and the game probably wouldn't get a good reputation. A lot of people would find it bizarre and wrong to beat up, and kill women.

Remember how much whining there was (still is) about the swearing in this game? Some people are not going to buy it simply because of the language.

Now if ND can find a way to implement female enemies where you're not fighting them the same way you do otherwise, it could work. But replace the enemy in the "shotgun to the face" sequence with a female, it would be very wrong and bizarre in most people's eyes.

On another note, it wouldn't be realistic, since, generally speaking, men are stronger and more physically capable than women are, so a female survivor wouldn't be out fighting other survivors.

You'd be surprised how many women would be out and about in such a situation. They would fight but in their own ways, they would work on behalf of mostly male gangs, using deception and trickery. I wouldn't expect women to do stand up and fight in such a situation but they would likely be used to lure male survivors into trouble.

Fifty-four Forty or Fight!!!!!
Message 57 of 58 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Feb 19, 2013

^ Like in that Eli movie.

My guess is that there won't be female thugs for us to brutalize. In such a violent scenario, women would be most likely hunted and held as trophy.

Message 58 of 58 (129 Views)
0 Likes