Splicer
67 posts

Re: Will there be female enemies?

Jan 9, 2013

Would it not be sexist to not kill women?

Anyone in both real life and video games who is fine with killing men but refuses to kill women in just as sexist as a feminist.

You probably have nothing better to do than finish reading my sig....
Message 21 of 58 (381 Views)
Fender Bender
4328 posts

Jan 13, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
It doesn't make sense to have a lot of female common enemies. Think of the public outcry

You can kill and hack up women in Bethesda's games (Elder Scrolls & Fallout) and you don't really hear any "outcry" about that. I personally feel like there should be women combatants. Now I don't think there should be a ton of them but some would go a long way in my opinion. Maybe at some point in the story a woman is used as bait to lure Joel and Ellie into a trap and you end up having to kill her?

Photobucket
Message 22 of 58 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11611 posts

Jan 13, 2013

Sub-Xero wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:
It doesn't make sense to have a lot of female common enemies. Think of the public outcry

You can kill and hack up women in Bethesda's games (Elder Scrolls & Fallout) and you don't really hear any "outcry" about that. I personally feel like there should be women combatants. Now I don't think there should be a ton of them but some would go a long way in my opinion. Maybe at some point in the story a woman is used as bait to lure Joel and Ellie into a trap and you end up having to kill her?

I think in this game there will be a problem because of how detailed and gruesome it is, compared to Elder Scrolls and Fallout, where they just get into ragdoll mode and there being no detailed gore. If you replaced that guy you shoot in the E3 trailer with the shotgun with a woman, don't you think there would have been more of an outcry than there already was? I'm not against having female enemies, but I'm just afraid of the backlash against Naughty Dog. 

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 23 of 58 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4328 posts

Jan 13, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

Sub-Xero wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

I think in this game there will be a problem because of how detailed and gruesome it is, compared to Elder Scrolls and Fallout, where they just get into ragdoll mode and there being no detailed gore. If you replaced that guy you shoot in the E3 trailer with the shotgun with a woman, don't you think there would have been more of an outcry than there already was? I'm not against having female enemies, but I'm just afraid of the backlash against Naughty Dog. 

There was an outcry because that dude got blasted in the face? I didn't know that. Yes, I'm sure there would have been an uproar if it was a woman and I'm sure if there are female enemies in the game that will probably cause a stir but this needs to get over with already. If games are ever going to be equal to or surpass movies as art we need to go ahead and tackle these things. Unfortunately with the current gun control debate going on in America, now is probably not the best time Smiley Sad

So for me personally though, I would like to see female enemies in the game. I think it would provide a greater level of immersion and add a lot to what ND is trying to accomplish.

Photobucket
Message 24 of 58 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11611 posts

Jan 13, 2013

Sub-Xero wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

Sub-Xero wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

There was an outcry because that dude got blasted in the face? I didn't know that. Yes, I'm sure there would have been an uproar if it was a woman and I'm sure if there are female enemies in the game that will probably cause a stir but this needs to get over with already. If games are ever going to be equal to or surpass movies as art we need to go ahead and tackle these things. Unfortunately with the current gun control debate going on in America, now is probably not the best time Smiley Sad

So for me personally though, I would like to see female enemies in the game. I think it would provide a greater level of immersion and add a lot to what ND is trying to accomplish.

I, as well, want female enemies in the game. However, as you said, now is probably not the best of times to put them in yet. I feel that video games have already equaled, if not surpassed, movies in the entertainment medium. It's just that you are put into a more dynamic role as a video gamer than a movie watcher, which is why I believe video games are being attacked today. But back on topic, If there were female enemies, there would have to be far, far less then there are men.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 25 of 58 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jan 13, 2013

EDSTA713 wrote:

Nobody had an issue shooting women in RE5. I shouldn't see why they would not include women in TLOU. 

But they had an issue with killing black people in RE5. Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 58 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jan 14, 2013

I just don't think it would make sense in the first place...I see these bandits being an "All boys" type of club...

Im pretty sure no body is against the idea of having female enemies, but there' s a difference between "Oh that's prety realistic" to "I wanna bash a womens heads in". It has to be for the right reasons, and if it doesn't make sense, it won't happen.

Message 27 of 58 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4328 posts

Jan 14, 2013

II-SlimJim-II wrote:

I just don't think it would make sense in the first place...I see these bandits being an "All boys" type of club...

Im pretty sure no body is against the idea of having female enemies, but there' s a difference between "Oh that's prety realistic" to "I wanna bash a womens heads in". It has to be for the right reasons, and if it doesn't make sense, it won't happen.

I don't think they're bandits as much as they are survivors. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, wasn't Tess a badass B at one point?

Photobucket
Message 28 of 58 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

Jan 14, 2013

I think there would be times you will encounter female survivor and get to kill her. Like the prev post, Skyrim has those and i have totaly no problem w/ it. It's just a game. The one thing i'm worried about this game is that the gore will be too realistic that I wouldn't be surprised if there is some crazy folks in the media that will go like "OMG ban this game! its too gruesome and you kill women in there!1!!.

+============================================================+
Message 29 of 58 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jan 17, 2013

Sub-Xero wrote:

II-SlimJim-II wrote:

I don't think they're bandits as much as they are survivors. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, wasn't Tess a badass B at one point?

I disagree, remember the "Truck Ambush" tailer? They're bandits. Tess was a bandit at one point, but she was no measely grunt, she was probably very high up in the ladder. It is very unlikely you would find a women "out in the front lines" so to speak. 

I would imagine in order to join a gang like that you HAVE to prove your worth, especially as a women. It's no secret women are generally not as physically capable as a man. I can't imagine someone like Chloe (or even Tess) going toe to toe with Joel, it's just not going to happen. My point is IF a women were to be a part of a gang, she most likely wouldn't be out with all the grunts, and if she WAS out there, she would be able to hold her own against other bandits/survivors.

I think it would be amazing to fight a female bandit that could actually hold her own against Joel, but a lot of you just seem to want push-over enemies (sexist) or want a whole bunch a bad **bleep** lady bandits (unrealistic). The only real question left is WOULD NughtyDog bother programming an enemey you realisticaly would fight any more than 3 or 4 times? 

Message 30 of 58 (238 Views)
0 Likes