Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 25 2012
By: Fallen-Hero3515 First Son 6 posts

Why the health bar?

21 replies 1038 views Edited Sep 25, 2012

Why don't you guys, take away the health bar for The Last of Us. Make it like Uncharted, where the world's color's drains around you?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (1,038 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1820 posts

Re: Why the health bar?

Sep 25, 2012

Regenerating health doesn't fit this game at all, and for the health bar, it's already a part of the game. For example you can use pieces of cloth as a bandage to fix up your wounds / increase health, or you can use it for your molotov cocktail it's all about scavenging resources and surviving.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (1,034 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Sep 25, 2012

They decided to go with the health bar because that means there are more consequences to what you do. Think about it; ammo is scarce, supplies are scarce.

If it was like Uncharted, you could just run out, shoot some guys, melee another one and when you're low on health just get back into cover.

That is not how the game is meant to be played.

The healthbar should stay.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (1,010 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Sep 25, 2012
I agree that the health system is the right thing to do, but couldn't a more creative and/or realistic way of showing his health be used? Maybe something in the way he looks/moves/sounds can change depending on how hurt he is.

I just would prefer it if there were no GUI elements :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (1,003 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Sep 25, 2012

calcunnon wrote:
I agree that the health system is the right thing to do, but couldn't a more creative and/or realistic way of showing his health be used? Maybe something in the way he looks/moves/sounds can change depending on how hurt he is.

I just would prefer it if there were no GUI elements :smileyhappy:

You mean HUD (Heads Up Display) :smileyvery-happy:

GUI means Graphical User Interface :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I think that his behavior as an indicator might be a little too little if you know what I mean? They should have both and then an option to disable the HUD

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (995 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1161 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Uncharted was about adventure and exploring - Life and death didn't really matter

The Last Of Us is about surviving and fighting to live - Life and death is really considered for this...to make it more realistic

End of story.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (990 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
349 posts

Sep 25, 2012

No. This idea would be terrible, this game is about survival, if we don't have a health bar, why do we need that survival aspect in it? Anyway its nice to have a change like this from Naughtydog.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (981 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Haha yeah, I'm a GUI designer I have a good idea about them :smileytongue:

A HUD is a type of GUI. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (976 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
349 posts

Sep 26, 2012

calcunnon wrote:

I actually really like this idea. This game is supposed to be realistic right? So it only makes sense that if Joel gets shot or hit with a wooden plank, he should react accordingly. Like, if his health is at the half way point or lower, he shouldn't be able to keep sprinting or doing other things like he would if he had full health.

Youtube channel: harrisj1616
Twitch: harrisj16
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (963 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Okay... sweet. It's just that I really hate health bars :smileysad: Anyway- your answer makes sense.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 22 (959 Views)