Jul 03 2013
By: Rexorsist Splicer 76 posts

Why is Joel + Ellie's journey over?

33 replies 828 views Edited Jul 3, 2013

I was just told that Naught Dog confirmed Joel and Ellie's journey to be over. But why did they end it? The story itself seemed as if it needed to be continued to see if Joel faces the consequenses for his hard decision or if Ellie finds out. Why are they putting an end to it? I personally think that The Last of Us was all built around Joel and Ellie and no other character could take their place. As of right now, I feel that either the sequel should feature the duo or there shouldn't be a sequel at all.

What are your thoughts? I'm still getting the feels from the end of the game and I am so attached to Ellie that I just can't imagine a game without her.

Message 1 of 34 (828 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Re: Why is Joel + Ellie's journey over?

Jul 3, 2013

SPOILERS

Naughty Dog has clarfied that by saying Joel and Ellie's journey is over, they mean this journey. The journey to find the fireflies and the cure. Whether or not Joel and Ellie return in a sequal is still up in the air. 

Personally, I think that Ellie will play a much more prominent role (gameplay-wise)  in the inevitble sequal. I image Joel will be re-introduced briefly, but ultimatly fall to the wayside. 

Message 2 of 34 (817 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Jul 3, 2013
All they confirmed was that THIS journey was over. Meaning that Joel and Ellie could very easily be in a sequel but it wont be about them trying to find a cure. Personally I am hoping for more of Joel and Ellie. To good of characters to never use them again
Message 3 of 34 (814 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jul 3, 2013

I would love to see a sequel for the PS4. I just hope Naughty Dog don't make a Jak and Daxter game. I LOVE when they do more serious stuff, like this game and Uncharted. 

Message 4 of 34 (813 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Rexorsist wrote:

I was just told that Naught Dog confirmed Joel and Ellie's journey to be over. But why did they end it? The story itself seemed as if it needed to be continued to see if Joel faces the consequenses for his hard decision or if Ellie finds out. Why are they putting an end to it? I personally think that The Last of Us was all built around Joel and Ellie and no other character could take their place. As of right now, I feel that either the sequel should feature the duo or there shouldn't be a sequel at all.

What are your thoughts? I'm still getting the feels from the end of the game and I am so attached to Ellie that I just can't imagine a game without her.

Technically Joel and Ellie's story isn't over as a whole. The only thing that is over regarding those two characters are the issues they were dealing with in the game. As to why they are no longer going to continue on with that story arc is because they already covered the major issues regarding their relationship in the game. They covered how they got together and they covered how their relationship formed. Everything else after that isn't as important and is better to be left open ended to a certain degree then to try to cover every single little detail of their lives.

Cover the important parts of the story and allow the less important parts of the story to be left to the players point of view. 

Message 5 of 34 (793 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Why not? Why does every story needs to have an end?

I REALLY liked the ending of this game, so unconventional by western stantards. They tolds us something that happened in that world, what happened after is left to our imagination. We dont need to follow Ellie to her old age...

They single player DLC can be another totally different story before or after the main story events in the same world.

Editor/Organizer
Message 6 of 34 (688 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Jul 3, 2013
if you remember the dam where joels brother is was under consent attack so in the sequel i want to see it start right where they left off only instead of traveling from here to there they would be going for supplies and defending the town near the dam

in the sequel you should be able to load your data from the old game so you start with all your weapons and upgrades
Message 7 of 34 (678 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Jul 3, 2013
but i did like how it ended with joel an ellie so if the sequel didnt have them in it i wouldn't mind either

I Just Want More!

DLC or a #2 dont matter i just want more
Message 8 of 34 (672 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Jul 3, 2013

The story is possibly not over entirely. Neil Druckmann (creative director/writer) said that the post about Joel and Ellie's journey was over, was misinterpreted as it was fully over. He meant that this specific journey was over, thus the cure or Fireflies would not be the main point of the sequel, if it was about Joel and Ellie.

Also he said that there were people in Naughty Dog who'd like to continue with Joel and Ellie. But the sequel about them would only come "if they come up with a new, meaningful plot, because the last thing they'd want to do was to repeat themselves."

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 9 of 34 (668 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Jul 3, 2013
His brothers settlement could be overrun for all we know. They never actually entered the place in the ending scene.
Message 10 of 34 (664 Views)
0 Likes