Jan 27 2017
By: ExactShot_GER First Son 16 posts

What do you all think about (SPOILER ALERT) the theories of Ellie being "Gay"?

11 replies 417 views Edited Jan 27, 2017

Hello

I know that this topic has been made a lot of times but to commend my thoughts on them wouldn´t make any sence because they´re not up to date.

First of all, i really enjoyed the Left Behind DLC, it was so amazing and i´ve finished it several times.

But after reading a few articles about that, i need some clearity. Some people saying that Ellie is definitly "Gay" some people saying that she is Bi/Pansexual and some other people saying that she was just overwhelmed by the feelings for her best friend Reily cause she decided to stay.

Why do i don´t get clearity? Even though i´ve been reading a few statements of Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley. Druckmann used in the one interview the term "Gay" for her, but it seems to me like he meant it in the context of left behind, because he never really concidered for her such emotions, until he was joking with the author/illustrator of the amican dreams comic that Ellie really likes Riley. 

Bruce Straley said that it wouldn´t have been different if Riley where male. So is both right? I know that the kiss was intended to be romantic, but does that mean now that she is for 100% into girls? Neil never said that she don´t like boys.

I think we should pay attention to both of them, even though Neil is the creative Director, i think Bruce has as much in the development of Ellie as he did. Some people stated that He (Druckmann) said that and that his opinion counts, but i don´t think that he has the full creative ownership over the story and its characters, i think he had to discuss some of these things with Straley until both of them agree on how to proceed. Correct me if i´m wrong about that!

That´s why i think that she is bi.

To make that clear. I have no problems with homosexuals at all, so if she falls in love another time with a girl, i would be okay with it, as long as it´s believable.

The thing that bothers me about that is, if they made her lesbian, that it would be for political reasons. I would still like the game and the characters, but it would be upsetting to know that this character were abused like a tool for political reasons. So if they build up another love story between Ellie and another girl, they should stay focused on the credibility, not just put it in to have it in.

That´s all for now. tell me what youré think about it..

If you have a relyable source what give me clearity about that, share it with me. Preferably a video interview because a lot of people could just write anything and upload it even though it were never said or otherwise meant.

thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12 (417 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: What do you all think about (SPOILER ALERT) the theories of Ellie being "Gay"?

Feb 8, 2017

I love that the fact that you put time and effort researching this topic. The fan base I feel has always been divided on it. I myself have mixed feelings on the issue. Not so much from a moral stand point but from a story telling stand point. I don't think Riley and Ellie being involved romantically was necessary. It just felt TOO forced. Poorly executed to say the least. One thing that standout to me though about Left Behind, is the part when Ellie views Whinstons photo. She comments that he is handsome and GIGGLES. Correct me if I'm wrong, but growing up I seem to remember young girls doing that if the had a crush on someone or found them attractive. Bills gay exrotica scene I felt also give hints that Ellie like men. This issue is defanuntly not a black or white one.

Message 2 of 12 (367 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Re: What do you all think about (SPOILER ALERT) the theories of Ellie being "Gay"?

Feb 10, 2017

@KINGDOG113That´s some good points. What i hate is, when people saying that it´s been confirmed even though it´s not the case. (Atleast i didn´t found anything that´s confirmed it). I´ve read a few weeks ago on Youtube a comment of someone who seems to adamantly insist for her to be a lesbian, he says every time that she is, that it´s been confirmed from druckmann at twitter and that he let Ashley Johnson the decision whether Ellie is a lesbian or not. And as i asked him for a source/Link etc, he ironically couldn´t give something. I tried to find something on my own, but all that i´ve found was the same interviews, statements etc, which i´ve already saw. Something which doesn´t cleared that topic up. If it were the case, then i wanna have a link, or an precise description. Or propably no one will convince me otherwise.

Message 3 of 12 (351 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Feb 11, 2017

I'm glad you agree. I'm don't always understand the logic and opinions of other tlou fans myself. I think Part 2 will defanutly answer some questions. We will just have to wait and see. 

Message 4 of 12 (343 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Feb 12, 2017

That´s exactly my opinion. I think no one can claim to know the answers. It doesn´t have to be that clear as it for someone maybe seems to be. Especially when there are still other people at Naughty Dog, whose opinions should also be concidered. For me it seems more like Druckmann means it in the context of left behind, he and the other people at Naughty Dog were talking about that only. Like you said, it could be that part 2 will answer some questions.

Message 5 of 12 (313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 16, 2017

Interview with Druckmann about Ellie's sexuality

Short answer: Yes, Ellie is gay.

Message 6 of 12 (279 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Feb 16, 2017

In the context of Left behind, she is. He never said she don´t likes Boys. This is what i was asking for. I´ve read this interview a few times and it never confirmed anything. Especially when you have Bruce Straley´s and Ashley Johnson´s statement about this topic.

Here is a pretty good commend of a fan of this game from another gaming side. He basically said a few day´s before Naughty Dog revealed that it was a romantic relationship the same things as Ashley Johnson and Bruce Sraley later said.

We live in a society where one's impulses govern how they'll develop. We encounter countless individuals of different genders, races, and ethnicities. It is our interactions with these individuals that largely determines the formation of our personality.

Ellie's world is not like ours. She has one friend, and very few social interactions beyond that. That friend, perhaps only due to her solitary presence in Ellie's life, is thrust into many different roles that would normally be occupied by a wide variety of people.

If that one friend had been male, it wouldn't have changed anything. If that one friend had been asexual, it wouldn't have changed anything. If that one friend had been transgender, it wouldn't have changed anything. The human condition dictates that we make do with what we have. Riley was the one person Ellie had to get close to, the one person who cared about her. If you only had one significant person in your life, could you really go though it without showing them some affection?

Stop feeling disappointed, or even insulted, that Ellie kissed a girl. You're applying modern, first-world logic to a setting where that logic cannot be applied.

Because let's face it: If Ellie were living in our world, she wouldn't have developed the personality that we've come to enjoy anyway. And then you wouldn't care.

This is exactly what it think about this whole topic. And for me this is the only plot about it, finding love in a messed up world, in someone who´s not trying to kill you. Finding someone with whome you can connect with, regardless of male or female, and regardless of black and white. Caring about the human being.

Message 7 of 12 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3225 posts

Feb 17, 2017

Druckman stated there will be another LGBT character in TLOU 2. Will it be Joel in ladies panties? No, it will be a partner for Ellie.

Get over it, she's gay and so is this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF1EQAtaZEo

I forgot how to edit my signature
Message 8 of 12 (257 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Feb 17, 2017

I wasn´t trying to deny a chance for her to be a lesbian, as you can see in the OP. I said that if they build up another love story between Ellie and another Girl it should be believable and not in there just to make a cheesy statement. I´m not that person who would be upset by that. And about the new LGBT character in the game, we will see whether it´s a partner for Ellie or not.

Your "get over it" sounds like as if i desperately tried to create a possibility that she is staight. It was never the case. I´m just worried that the developers, instead of continuing the great story telling rather staying focused on turning the characters into tools for the LGBT community and for other political garbage. Because a lot of fans of this game caring about these characters, these characters are the reason why we love this game, it would be a shame to see them (or at least her) being abused for this.

Seriously, what´s the reason for making a character gay (if it´s the case, because we will propably see in the sequel) if it´s not for politics?

It would be IMO just made without a understandable reason. Oh let´s take one of our most famous characters and make her gay. Correct me if i´m wrong about it. But this is the only thing i would expect behind that decision. If there is another reason, and most importantly understandable, then everything is fine.

Message 9 of 12 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3225 posts

Feb 18, 2017

You're too reasonable to be trolled.

I think it was by accident that Ellie was gay in Left Behind. I read somewhere that Druckman mentioned that Ellie "really liked" Riley, and they went from there. I think they probably used it as a political/social event in the game... After all, nobody is talking about any characters "straightness". To me it is of no consiquence if any character is gay, straight or humps sheep. Just make the game good. And less linear. Smiley Happy

I forgot how to edit my signature
Message 10 of 12 (232 Views)
0 Likes