It's called a genre.

Message 51 of 66 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Re: Totally The Walking Dead

Aug 3, 2013

Rumba_Lumba wrote:

Infected = zombies. You can spin it however you want, ND. But Walking Dead zombies also came about by virus.

Post-apocalyptic? Check.

More about the "human drama" and the monsters are just on the background? Check.

Scavenging for supplies, limited ammo? Check.

Going from place to place while meeting people on the way? Check.

Raw brutality, gore, and realistic violence? Check.

Survival in any way? Check.

I get that ND doesn't wanna admit it, but it just so happens that they're making a game very similar to the highest-rated cable TV show in the USA today? They expect me to believe that all of this came about from a 2008 BBC documentary, vs. a 2010 ongoing series that has 15+ million household viewers and has exponentially more similarities than a video of an ant being taken over by a virus? Come on. We're not that stupid, ND.

Good luck to this game, and it's going to be a bestseller for sure. But please, it's totally on the The Walking Dead bandwagon.

1. Zombies and infected aren't the same thing, zombies are dead people coming back to life. Infected are living, breathing people.
  2. A virus didn't cause the infection, a fungi called Cordyceps did.
  3. Yes, it's post-apocalyptic, but so what? TWD didn't create post-apocalyptic games/movies, does that mean they're copying other games/movies too?
  4. The game isn't about "human drama", and it was never supposed to be about the infected and the post-apocalyptic world they live in, it's about and was always supposed to be about Joel & Ellies' relationship and how they've bonded over the year they've spent together together.
  5. Why can't they scavenge for supplies? How else are they supposed to survive in the world they live in? The game is meant to be realistic. If the events of TLOU happened, there obvioulsy wouldn't be much ammo, because who leaves ammo laying around anyway? Ammo would be scarce.
  6. They're going from place to place yes, but only to get to their destination. They were only supposed to meet up with one person, the other people Joel & Ellie met were by chance.
  7. When you kill someone, it's obviously going to be violent, brutal and gory depending on the way they were killed...Why is TWD allowed to have that but a videogame can't because it's classified as 'copying'?
  8. It's a survival-horror game. Obviously it's going to involve survial, what you said didn't even make sense.
  9. They've been making this game for 3+ years. ND said that the game will be revolving around Joel & Ellies' relationship from the very beginning, and they just happened to watch a BBC documentary on the Cordyceps Fungus and that got them intrigued on making the game post-apocalyptic themed.
  10. It's nowhere near TWD bandwagon. Smiley Happy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The worlds been hard on us…hard on him. Joel’s done some terrible things. He tells me that on this journey, you either hang on to your morals and die, or do whatever it takes to survive.”
— Ellie (The Last of Us)
Message 52 of 66 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Aug 3, 2013

This thread... It lives...

But why?

Message 53 of 66 (179 Views)
Splicer
85 posts

Aug 3, 2013

dh0rmazine wrote:

This thread... It lives...

But why?

Because someone linked it in a different thread and I clicked the link to this thread and I read it and got annoyed so I had to comment sorry for resurrecting the thread >.<

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The worlds been hard on us…hard on him. Joel’s done some terrible things. He tells me that on this journey, you either hang on to your morals and die, or do whatever it takes to survive.”
— Ellie (The Last of Us)
Message 54 of 66 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Aug 3, 2013
This is a troll post people. TC can't be that stupid.

I hope.
 photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 55 of 66 (174 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Ugh... why was this thread bumped?

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 56 of 66 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
150 posts

Aug 3, 2013

"There will be a time when quality literature will be created but some people won't recognize it"

My website: http://rlclick.weebly.com/
The Last of Us photo tumblr_mo3m8cncvK1qhjcgto1_250.gifEllie-Ranch photo tumblr_mp0o9g0nIR1qkm8keo5_250.gif
Message 57 of 66 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 3, 2013

It's crazy how many threads contain this debate about zombies vs infected. First of all, it doesn't really matter that the game falls within the genre of "zombie-type-survival horror" that includes game likd Dead Space and Resident Evil.

Again and again, the more observant among us have pointed out the myriad differences between zombies and infected - the biggest being that the infected aren't dead. There's no unexplained-evil-demonic force causing people to die and come back as zombies, mysteriously. it is a parasitic fungus - which actually exists in arthropods and insects - that causes people to lose control of their central nervous system among other things. They can be killed as easily as a normal person (at least in the early stages of infection as runners).

The infected are simply the vector by which the cordyceps fungus spreads itself among the population. It makes biologic sense (except for the fact that in warm-blooded animals it would never work, but that's a topic for another thread),  which makes it much more interesting and in a sense more terrifying. This type of scenario is SO much more conceivable than any dead-coming-back-to-life zombie story.

The only real similarity between infected and zombies is their aggressiveness and to a lesser degree their ragged appearance. Hpowever on closer inspection they look quite different. Check out the concept art that is included as a bonus in TLOU and you will see some earlier renderings of the infected that look a lot more like the traditional "zombie". It seems that ND specifically wanted to distinguish their creatures from boring old shuffling zombies.

But hey, if you wanna call them zombies, to each his own, whatever floats your boat.

Message 58 of 66 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Aug 3, 2013
TLoU is trash and always will be.

TWD breathed fresh air into the zombie genre unlike TLoU.

Which just uses boring zombies in an apocalyptic setting.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 59 of 66 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Aug 4, 2013
I think I heard ND saying they were inspired by The Walking Dead and many other things. So I guess they took some ideas here and there, but it's totally not on the bandwagon. :l
Message 60 of 66 (85 Views)
0 Likes