Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Re: Totally The Walking Dead

Feb 10, 2013
So the walking dead is totally oringal ?
Message 31 of 66 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3482 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Rumba_Lumba wrote:

Infected = zombies. You can spin it however you want, ND. But Walking Dead zombies also came about by virus.

Post-apocalyptic? Check.

More about the "human drama" and the monsters are just on the background? Check.

Scavenging for supplies, limited ammo? Check.

Going from place to place while meeting people on the way? Check.

Raw brutality, gore, and realistic violence? Check.

Survival in any way? Check.

I get that ND doesn't wanna admit it, but it just so happens that they're making a game very similar to the highest-rated cable TV show in the USA today? They expect me to believe that all of this came about from a 2008 BBC documentary, vs. a 2010 ongoing series that has 15+ million household viewers and has exponentially more similarities than a video of an ant being taken over by a virus? Come on. We're not that stupid, ND.

Good luck to this game, and it's going to be a bestseller for sure. But please, it's totally on the The Walking Dead bandwagon.

so what? 2 cookies is better than 1 cookie, even if both cookies are the same

I haven't played the walking dead, but I'm pretty sure the violence is defenitely not realistic...

as far as I know that happens in most if not all video games...

Message 32 of 66 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Naughty Dog wants to change the industry by rising above the 'idiot plot'

Naughty Dog is, undeniably, a pioneer in the discipline of video game storytelling that seeks to achieve - and transcend - cinematic mastery. After hands-on time with The Last of Us at a press event last week, I firmly believe that the vast unknown through which the storied developer sails will soon change the industry. Jacob Minkoff, lead game designer on The Last of Us, agrees with me.

Shortly after my hands-on demo, I was fortunate enough to sit down with Minkoff and discuss the studio's role as the foremost leader in advancing games as a narrative art form. Minkoff first shared an amusing anecdote: "People were like, 'What do you want to do with this game?' and [Neil Druckmann, Creative Director] said, 'I want to change the [expletive] industry, man.'" He continued: "We all play games, right? And, we LOVE games, and it bums us out when we play a game that has great gameplay and it's trying to tell a story, but you don't buy into the story because they don't know how to make your emotions parallel the character."

To clarify what he meant by parallelism in storytelling, Minkoff explained, "There's a cinematic term called an 'idiot plot.' An idiot plot is when a character makes a choice that the audience wouldn't make. It's like, don't go through that door! And it's very important to us that we do it right, that we make you - every moment - buy into what the characters are feeling and make you feel the same way."

"Our dream would be for every great game that's trying to tell a story, to do it with proper pacing and character-driven and all of that. If we can do it, if we can prove that it can be done, then people can learn from us."

That's all well and good, but what can Naughty Dog teach other developers if the hard-hitting post-apocalyptic drama has been done before, and very, very well? I cited Telltale Games' The Walking Dead as an example of excellent zombie fiction, and asked Minkoff if Naughty Dog is prepared for comparisons to recent media. "We know that those comparisons are going to happen," he assured. "We don't really need to care about them, because we know that if we tell a story that is compelling, with characters that you invest in, and gameplay that's fun, and graphics that are beautiful, it doesn't matter."

"Just because something has been done many times doesn't mean that it can't be done better than anyone else has ever done it."

Naughty Dog hopes that The Last of Us will change the industry as the greatest piece of post-apocalyptic fiction ever produced. You can judge for yourself when the game hits store shelves on May 7. 

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/moesoulman/dark_zps855e1df8.gif
Message 33 of 66 (276 Views)
Survivor
2890 posts

Feb 10, 2013

^--- This is exactly why I -- a non-zombie game person -- am SO interested in this game.  The story-telling pulls you in, and takes you through everything the characters are going through.  Remember way back in Uncharted 2 when Drake was exhausted, YOU were exhausted too!  Naughty Dog are masters of this...

2544133150[1].png

Message 34 of 66 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2381 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

I haven't played the walking dead, but I'm pretty sure the violence is defenitely not realistic...

The Walking dead is a TV show...

But I don't doubt there is a game of this. But I get the OP's point. There are so many Zombie games that the Zombies themself are almost extincted. Not to mention games like Call of Duty and Red Dead Redemption that have additional zombie model although the game itself is not about zombies.

Message 35 of 66 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5498 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Hielke6991 wrote:

It's also a game. But primarily a graphic novel.

Hielke6991 wrote:
There are so many Zombie games that the Zombies themself are almost extincted.

Assuming that "extincted" actually means "extinct", then by your logic the human race is almost extinct because we're multiplying so much.

Hielke6991 wrote:
Not to mention games like Call of Duty and Red Dead Redemption that have additional zombie model although the game itself is not about zombies.

DLC modes don't count. The point here is whether the story is zombie-focused or not.

Message 36 of 66 (250 Views)
Fender Bender
3482 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Hielke6991 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

But I don't doubt there is a game of this. But I get the OP's point. There are so many Zombie games that the Zombies themself are almost extincted. Not to mention games like Call of Duty and Red Dead Redemption that have additional zombie model although the game itself is not about zombies.

The Walking Dead is a game from 2012 from Telltale Games, it has had a few Game of the Year awards, so I assumed he was talking about the game, why would we compare The Last of us to a tv show in the first place? Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 66 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11040 posts

Feb 10, 2013
^ The OP was talking about the story.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 38 of 66 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

Could we just let ND do their thing before hating?? Its kinda unfair to ND to still getting critizised for making (what appears to me) a great game. Make no mistake I also get TWD vibe from this game as well, but its not just it.. It actually kinda feels more like Kickass(thejoel ellie connection), that will smith movie, the road etc. more that it is TWD to me. And if ND really was inspired by TWD in making this game.... What the heck is wrong with it??? Videogames that were inspired by movies is nothing new and should come to a surpirse to any gamers anymore. Heck now that i think about it, A lot of the games I really like are similar to some of the movies i've seen.

Not to mention there have been too much books, comics, games and movies that tackles about a post apocalyptic world that its almost impossible to make one game about it where people wouldn't notice even a slight resemblance to any media made before it.

And TWD(my favorite tv drama ever) is not that original either, but it surely is the one that hit peoples "sweet spot" on tv series. 

Some great reads about TLOU movie connections:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_last_of_us/b/ps3/archive/2012/02/10/strife-breeds-strife-inspi...

http://www.gamesradar.com/last-us-post-apocalyptic-visions-inspired-game/

+============================================================+
Message 39 of 66 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4350 posts

Feb 10, 2013
OP is known to be a popular scam troll on PSASBR forums. He claimed to "leak" the beta files, which didn't come true after the release. This is what I heard though.

Case closed.
Ho Ho Ha Ha
Message 40 of 66 (201 Views)