Jun 17 2013
By: miesman First Son 3 posts

Too high expectations...

15 replies 410 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

Hi all...

I like to know who had, just like me, too high expectations from the game? 

I played The Walking Dead game (Telltales) and I absolutely loved it. (just like the comic and the series).

Although TWD it was linear with no freedom and graphically not the same as next gen games, I was the story that grabbed me...

I was hoping i could get the same from TLoU, but to be honest i'm a bit dissapointed. 

Yes yes, it's a great game, story, voice acting, but some things just turn me off... i wonder who agrees with me? 

1st of all; it's quite linear, yes you can walk into some buildings, but am i the only one who finds it annoying that there are only few doors/buildings to be opened? I want to explore, see and learn every corner of every place.

There's no open world, some levels are quite open, but you cannot go back to check that one corner u missed. 

2nd, cutscenes, Aren't they fake as hell????  I mean I think every one of them are just prerendered?? 
For me that somehow removes the charm of a game, because if they are prerendered, they are no longer part of the game itself, it's basically just a movie i'm looking at. 

3rd, AI, some people mentioned it already. If i'm only slightly in the view of military or a runner they will come after me, but ellie can just run in front of them and nothing happens????  it's really difficult to take the game seriously at that moment.

In my opinion this game is not a 10/10... better would be a 8/10... 

ok.. let me know if u agree... Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 16 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
624 posts

Re: Too high expectations...

Jun 17, 2013
I disagree. 10/10 op troll.
Lol Jk.Well that's your opinion
To me it's a perfect 10
Message 2 of 16 (401 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Yeah but i asked the people who agree, so urs doesn't count.. Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 16 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

Yeah.... no. I disagree.

You are complaining about the game being linear, yet you loved The Walking Dead? The game at times is actually pretty open. Yeah, there is only one exit point, but there is a lot of places to check out. 

The pre-rendered cutscenes don't really bother me, though I can understand if they took you out of the immersion. It's just kind of silly to hate on the game for that.

The A.I. is very smart, both friendly and enemy. Now, the only part of the A.I. I don't like is the fact that your friendly's can run out in the open and not get noticed. Imagine how annoying that would be though if they did get caught all the time. You would never be able to stay hidden and I can't even imagine the complaints this game would get. You have to remember that this isn't a scripted game, so the A.I. don't stay hot on your heels and follow your every step. I think it's honestly a huge accompliment in what they did with the A.I. 

It seems like you were out to just find what was wrong with the game. How about actually taking in what's good. This is an experience more than it is just some game. Obviously you're not going to like it if you're out to hate on it from the start. I went into a movie once just expecting to disappointed, and guess what... I was disappointed. The entire movie I sat and just tore the movie apart, finding every flaw that I could. It's not a good idea. 

Message 4 of 16 (394 Views)
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 17, 2013

HoodlumX wrote:

Yeah.... no. I disagree.

You are complaining about the game being linear, yet you loved The Walking Dead? The game at times is actually pretty open. Yeah, there is only one exit point, but there is a lot of places to check out. 

The pre-rendered cutscenes don't really bother me, though I can understand if they took you out of the immersion. It's just kind of silly to hate on the game for that.

The A.I. is very smart, both friendly and enemy. Now, the only part of the A.I. I don't like is the fact that your friendly's can run out in the open and not get noticed. Imagine how annoying that would be though if they did get caught all the time. You would never be able to stay hidden and I can't even imagine the complaints this game would get. You have to remember that this isn't a scripted game, so the A.I. don't stay hot on your heels and follow your every step. I think it's honestly a huge accompliment in what they did with the A.I. 

It seems like you were out to just find what was wrong with the game. How about actually taking in what's good. This is an experience more than it is just some game. Obviously you're not going to like it if you're out to hate on it from the start. I went into a movie once just expecting to disappointed, and guess what... I was disappointed. The entire movie I sat and just tore the movie apart, finding every flaw that I could. It's not a good idea. 

THIS

Message 5 of 16 (387 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jun 17, 2013
Why would you want an open world game? Naughty Dog is the best linear story telling developer that has ever existed. Why would you want their game to be open world? That's like me wishing Iron Man 3 was a Horror movie because I like Horror movies. Makes no sense.
Message 6 of 16 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

Jun 17, 2013

The Last of Us surpassed all expectations! It's clearly the G.O.A.L.  (Game of a Lifetime).

Message 7 of 16 (363 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 17, 2013

YoungFamily wrote:
Why would you want an open world game? Naughty Dog is the best linear story telling developer that has ever existed. Why would you want their game to be open world? That's like me wishing Iron Man 3 was a Horror movie because I like Horror movies. Makes no sense.

I just think most people are wanting an open-world zombie game. One of high quality that only a few developers can make, such as Naughty Dog. Sure, there is some games out there like that, but they're not really serious and are more for just having fun with or messing around on. Hating on Naughty Dog though for not making an open-world zombie game is just idiotic. That's like me complaining that Max Payne 3 wasn't an open world game. It's not supposed to be. It's story driven and it's linear for a reason. 

Message 8 of 16 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Jun 17, 2013
this game mixes the stealth of metal gear solid with the problem solving of puzzle games the combat from (shoot name any war game here)

and dont forget zombies (i know they are not really zombies)(infected) top that off with the urge to protect someone and fight for your own life its water world post man dawn of the dead all rolled into one i love this game been waiting a long time for it now im waiting for number 2 perfect 10 out of 10 in my book plus 2 points for the story line
Message 9 of 16 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

While I'm on this topic, how about I reverse the situation on you. You said you like TellTale's The Walking Dead, right? I enjoyed it myself, but let me act as you did and nitpick the hell out of it and rip it to pieces. 

-It's not an open world game. There is so little to do. You just point and click. 

-The animations are absolutely dreadful. I felt as if I was playing a PS2 title.

-The opening was rather dull. Though it got better in the long run, it started rather crappy.

-Some of the voice acting delivery is just weak. It's ok for the most part but some of the side characters really sound dull.

-Why does Clementine always catch you in the act of killing someone or doing something bad. It just gets old after a while. 

Wow, that was fun. See? It's not cool is it. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16 (335 Views)
0 Likes