13011 posts

Re: Timing of release and PS4....

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2013

supergamer-45 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

supergamer-45 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

The PS4 is rumoured to have some "special sauce" (4 CUs reserved for number crunching). Maybe that could emulate the Cell SPUs as well. Smiley Wink

Hope so because right now the PS4 is almost certainly going to use the mediorce AMD A10 CPU/GPU (all in one chip). I'm not sure if it could emulate the Cell with software. Remember the PS2 had the same thing and it was at the bottom of graphics and power.

The latest leaks say that it will use a single GPU (Radeon R10xx). It's a next gen GPU that doesn't even exist in the PC realm right now.

The PS2 could not be emulated because it had a really fast eDRAM bus (48GB/s). The PS4 will have 176GB/s of memory bandwidth.

I researched the R10xx and it's not really new or exactly "nex gen". Basically it's a modified AMD 7950 Mobile gpu which is designed for laptops.

You are right. It uses the GCN architecture. I thought R10xx would be GCN2 (Radeon 8xxx).

Still though, it's a beast with a lot of untapped potential... let's just say that it has the processing power of 10 Cell processors and it only consumes 75 watts. Smiley Happy Hopefully, we won't have a YLOD/RROD fiasco this gen.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 31 of 37 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3465 posts

Feb 3, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

besides, at all guys who stood multiple days in line for a PS3, seriously? First I don't even believe that, how can you wait for so long in a store, doesn't stores close where you live at night?

He's not lying:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/15/150-line-up-for-ps3-in-rockville-md/

On top of that, even worse things happened:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps3-launch-sees-multiple-thefts-6161933
http://www.gamespot.com/news/more-robberies-plague-ps3-launch-6161981

I don't remember anything like that in Europe, but I may be wrong. Smiley Tongue I prefer e-shopping and home delivery, so I never have to deal with that crap...

thanks for the articles, was a fun read, and indeed I'm happy we don't have such crap in europe Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 37 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
444 posts

Feb 4, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

supergamer-45 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

supergamer-45 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

The PS4 is rumoured to have some "special sauce" (4 CUs reserved for number crunching). Maybe that could emulate the Cell SPUs as well. Smiley Wink

Hope so because right now the PS4 is almost certainly going to use the mediorce AMD A10 CPU/GPU (all in one chip). I'm not sure if it could emulate the Cell with software. Remember the PS2 had the same thing and it was at the bottom of graphics and power.

The latest leaks say that it will use a single GPU (Radeon R10xx). It's a next gen GPU that doesn't even exist in the PC realm right now.

The PS2 could not be emulated because it had a really fast eDRAM bus (48GB/s). The PS4 will have 176GB/s of memory bandwidth.

I researched the R10xx and it's not really new or exactly "nex gen". Basically it's a modified AMD 7950 Mobile gpu which is designed for laptops.

You are right. It uses the GCN architecture. I thought R10xx would be GCN2 (Radeon 8xxx).

Still though, it's a beast with a lot of untapped potential... let's just say that it has the processing power of 10 Cell processors and it only consumes 75 watts. Smiley Happy Hopefully, we won't have a YLOD/RROD fiasco this gen.

Yeah with the modification and optimization that GPU is beast. Some videos on Youtube show it running BF3 on Ultra silk smooth with a soild framrate even when there is so much action going on. The fact that is has 10x the power is going to make it so awesome.

>
Message 33 of 37 (195 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I hope its the ps4 aswell, lol i bet my mate £10 that it will be announced

Message 34 of 37 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Feb 8, 2013

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. I am not sure how it will work out, still i am in no rush for the PS4 so i'll wait and see how things happen.

Message 35 of 37 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Feb 9, 2013
i am kind of happy this game is coming out on the ps3. i only buy the exclusives and i was running out of games to play that interest me. i am not planning on getting a ps4 right away.
PSN: SNUBKILLER75
XBOX360: FP x SNUBKILLER

Message 36 of 37 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 13, 2013

Should it come to pass that this game is ultimately declared to be for the PS4 which is to be released in the near future [insert speculative date here], then it would certainly drive many Naughty Dog fans to buy a PS4 much sooner than might otherwise have been the case.

I know I have no plans to buy the PS4 the day it comes out, probably not until 6-18 months after it comes out. If there is no backwards compatibility with PS3 games I will be rather upset, especially if the PlayStation Network starts to curtail support/options/etc for the PS3.

If they do have backwards compatibility for PS3 games with the PS4, that would certainly increase the likelihood of my purchasing the system within weeks of it being released.

At any rate, I have been looking forward to The Last of Us since it was announced. It is the only game [aside from probably Dead Space 3] that I anticipate buying in 2013. Although if Aliens Colonial Marines, Resident Evil 6, and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City make it to the $10 dollar bin before the year is out, I'll probably pick those up as well [none of them are worth much more than $10 dollars, MAYBE, MAYBE a case could be made for $20 dollars]. I haven't bought a game the day it came out in a while, I think since AVP 2010 and WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT THAT WAS.

I don't go for the special editions or collector's editions, and I think the only time I've spent close to $100 dollars on a game was Gary Grigsby War in the East.

That said, I have high hopes for The Last of Us, I believe it will be a contender for best game of 2013, if not the best game of 2013. Naughty Dog has built a lot of hope, they have their work cut out for them, I believe they're up to the task. If the game gets delayed a few weeks so they can iron out a few snags and make it that much better, then I can live with that. I anticipate buying The Last of Us the day it comes out unless I'm working or have exams, then I'll buy it the first free day I have after it comes out. Heck, I might even buy the survival edition or one of the various collectors’ editions.

I was following Aliens Colonial Marines since 2009, hoping it was going to be the Aliens game that Aliens fans deserved, something that took the greatness of the class AVP2 and combined it with the feel of the Aliens movie and added its own unique contribution with the end result being a memorable and awesome gaming experience. I was tempted to get up at 12:05 and rush to the Wal-Mart to buy ACM the instant they put it on the shelf, but I elected to spend the evening reading an Aliens Omnibus by Dark horse, turn in early, wake up early, and read reviews. THANK GOD! I saved myself sixty dollars.

Anyway I didn't mean to rant or endlessly drone on... I am merely excited about the prospects for this game. All indicators suggest it will be genius. This game could wind up being my "go to" survival horror fix for at least a year or so. I hope it has a lot of replay value. The survival horror genre has basically taken a dive in the last few years, aside from the Dead Space series [don't even get me started on Capcom and what they've done to Resident Evil], The Last of Us appears ready to revive a faltering genre and breathe some much needed life into it.

Thank you Naughty Dog!

Fifty-four Forty or Fight!!!!!
Message 37 of 37 (74 Views)