Highlighted
Feb 09 2013
By: Wanderearth Lombax Warrior 85 posts

The opening scene in The Last of Us...

[ Edited ]
7 replies 1374 views Edited Feb 9, 2013

If first impressions are the most important, the opening animation in The Last of Us, hailed by critics everywhere as perhaps the most anticipated video game ever,  should be stunning to say the least.  Thinking about that, I really can't imagine a better opening than one that would show quickly how much the earth has changed in the 20 or so years since the outbreak of the Cordyceps fungus.  A wonderful way to do that would be a panover/zoom beginning above the earth, in space, high enough so that we see the earth as we know it today, a beautiful blue marble and then a slow, perhaps sprialing descent to finally soar in over the area where the story of TLoU begins. Though the earth from space looks just as it does today, once the camera pans down to the overgrown city, we can suddenly see what an remarkable change has come over it.   Perhaps even to continue the descent until the camera finally stops on Joel himself.  Here are a couple of videos I hope will give a little bit of an idea of what I'm thinking about.  Though neither start in space, they do pan down from a height to drop us into the scene.

Thanks Naughty Dog.  You're the best. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8 (1,374 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
870 posts

Re: The opening scene in The Last of Us...

Feb 9, 2013

I clicked on this thread thinking how I was gonna see TLOU opening scene.. Smiley Frustrated

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 8 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3587 posts

Feb 9, 2013

EDSTA713 wrote:

I clicked on this thread thinking how I was gonna see TLOU opening scene.. Smiley Frustrated

I clicked on this thread thinking that someone would have clicked on the thread thinking he was going to see TLOU opening scene Smiley Tongue
anyway, (haven't watched the vids) I think it's a cool opening, but remember that this game isn't about the outbreak or the solution of the problem, the game is about a handful of people trying to survive in it, so I think the opening would not be an explanation of how the world went to hell, because it is irrelevant to the story Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 8 (1,297 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

That opening scene would be amazing for a game with focus on war or something at a global scale, TLOU is about Joel and Ellie. TLOU WANTS to be INTIMATE, so those opening scenes wouldn't fit at all.

By the way, I would like Naughty Dog to make a game about war. Revolutionizing another genre, again...

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 4 of 8 (1,176 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Feb 10, 2013

I'd rather the opening scene be a flashback of Joel or Ellie's life, or better yet (if pulled off right) a flash forward with absolutely no context leaving us clueless as to what happened, only to find out more and more as we play through the game. Something story oriented and immediately immersive.

Message 5 of 8 (1,159 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11584 posts

Feb 10, 2013
How about playing as Clicker about to infect a family of four, something to set the mood for the game.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 6 of 8 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 18, 2013

I like the use of in media res for starting/opening a game or a story. Get right into the middle of the action and then go back to tell how it got to that point.

Fifty-four Forty or Fight!!!!!
Message 7 of 8 (995 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
346 posts

Feb 18, 2013

awesome idea.. but this is almost impossible this would take up way too much work to make.. so don't get your hopes up

it's not going to happen.

Message 8 of 8 (967 Views)
0 Likes